How can you tell if your radiator is 2 or 3 core? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 15, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

How can you tell if your radiator is 2 or 3 core?

I'm going in with a big block, but I remember upgrading my radiator years ago, and just can't remember what I upgraded to.

Is there an easy way to identify by looking at the radiator if it is a 2 or a 3 core?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 15, 09:48 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: How can you tell if your radiator is 2 or 3 core?

The number of cores is the thickness of the actual core surface. An easy way to tell is if you look in the pass side tank through the cap opening and see one row of openings, you have a single core radiator, see two rows, you have a two core, three = triple core.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 15, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I'm running out the garage right now to check!

Just got back. I have a 3 core. I guess I did upgrade to the big one back when I was younger, and I had an inline 6 back then too. Probably overkill. Now that it will be a 396, it should be right-sized.

Thanks.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 15, 12:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to keithl1967

Depends...is it a 23" or 21" cores?

I am running a Big block (AC) radiator in my '67 (probably overkill for my 406 small block), but that is a 23", 4 core...no overheating problems here...

Keith
1967 Camaro
406, 10:1, comp xr282HR, Dart Iron Eagle 200cc, Holley Contender dual plane, Holley 750 DP
Muncie M-20
GM 8.5, 3.73 posi
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 15, 12:55 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: How can you tell if your radiator is 2 or 3 core?

Measure between the two side tanks, to get your core width.

If you have a 21" 3 core, I would try it, but be prepared to change it. Also, I don't know if a big block shroud will fit on a smaller radiator.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 15, 01:29 PM
Senior Tech
Doug

Here is some information you might want to see. The Camaro Harrison radiator 4 core tank 3 row 23" came in the 396-325 hp, 396-350 hp with Automatic Transmission. This was the standard radiator for a big block Camaro without the Heavy Duty 4 core 4 row radiator. When I decided I wanted a big block in my 67 Camaro I went with a 454 cid. This was rebuilt with 20 cc dome pistons, stock crank, roller camshaft, heads mildly ported and gasket matched. It also has a Victor Jr intake with a 850 Holley DP. The car has an automatic transmission and 4.10:1 12 Bolt rear. The radiator that was in the car was a 3 row 23" that let my engine run hot. I ordered a brand new 4 core 4 row 23" radiator that finally kept the temperature around 190 degrees. That radiator lasted about 6-7 years and when I pulled it out for the last time the bottom started falling apart. I bought the Be Cool Direct-Fit Module which is still in it today.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 15, 05:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

I ran a factory bbc 3 row , 23" for years on my sbc. When it was time to clean , there was more work than I had value for it.
I went with a Enthropy 2 row flat tube 23'. I have not regretted it . Runs about 100 above ambient temp. I run a factory 7 blade fan and clutch with factory shroud.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 15, 05:53 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to keithl1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJS69 View Post
Measure between the two side tanks, to get your core width.

If you have a 21" 3 core, I would try it, but be prepared to change it. Also, I don't know if a big block shroud will fit on a smaller radiator.
Not sure of the big block shroud on the smaller radiator, but I can tell you that the reverse is true...

The small block AC cars were run with the 3 row, 23" core...the shroud for a small block with AC will also fit the 4 core 23" radiator--it is what I am running in my '67...

Keith
1967 Camaro
406, 10:1, comp xr282HR, Dart Iron Eagle 200cc, Holley Contender dual plane, Holley 750 DP
Muncie M-20
GM 8.5, 3.73 posi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode