Vortec Valve spring broke - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 03, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

I popped my valve covers today so I could mask off everything to put on a fresh coat of paint on the motor before it goes back in the car and I found what looks like part of the inner spring. It is flat but coils like a spring. Also there was material that felt like hard rubber, maybe some kind of seal? It came out of # 7. All of the inner springs look the same. The valve stem has some kind of deposit ring around it, but the motor was running strong and not using hardly any oil and was not smoking. Is this an easy fix or do I have to pull the head off. Also, Should I replace the rest of the springs?
These where Wheeler vortec head that I bought about 2 yrs ago?

Dan.

[ 09-28-2003, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: Tire Smoke 69 ]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 03, 11:43 AM

Smile

Just do a valve spring change to a new set that fits your heads and works ok with your cam with your heads still on your motor. And install a new set of seals while you are at it..

Some guy's use the sparkplug air hose adapter, others use the "knot on the end", 3/16" rope way and still others use any of several hand-held valve spring compressors, either the little "clamp-like screw one" or a special cheap lever one that works off the studs...

Do a search and read up on this here b/c there are little tricks to using any methods!!!

One thing you do want to do is plug all the oil drain back holes so your motor doesn't swallow a keeper or two as you pop them out/off the retainers and valve stem grooves!! Saves a hassle, BIG TIME, imho!!!

pdq67

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 03, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

pdq67, you made my day! Here is my next queation. I do not know what I have for a cam in this motor, I bought it as a shot block and this cam was in it. Is there a way to figure the lift with a dial indicator?

These heads were set up for 550 lift and I'm sure I don't have anything near that. When I call for springs the first thing there gonna ask is cam specs. [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]

Dan.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 03, 05:33 PM

Smile

Sure barrow or buy a degree wheel and then set your dial indicator so that it can measure off a flat on one of the lifters and degree and measure her.. Or even a rocker IF you can make sure it is steady for an accurate reading..

No big deal but you just have to do it carefully so that you can reproduce the results for accuracy.

Do both intake and exhaust and you will be set to talk about springs.

You may want a buddy to help rotate your engine while you make sure everything measures OK..

pdq67

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 03, 08:36 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

It will be difficult to get a good measurement from the top of a cam lobe. The lobes are tapered for one and secondly, the lift is affected by the roughly 1° crown on the bottom of the lifter, they are not flat unless they are trashed. You can set up the dial indicator on the tip of the pushrod and get a very good measurement.

-Mark.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode