Ok guys. I need help picking out a small block - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 05, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Send a message via Yahoo to mazspeed
I have a 67 Camaro that I just bought off of e-bay and the thing is pretty nice. It comes with a 350 motor that is not even broken in yet as it only has 400 miles on it since the rebuild. What I was looking for was more power. I wanted to stay in the small block, but was thinking of getting a 383 stroker motor, but I wanted a bit more power then what the normal stroker comes with. I was hoping for 600-600. I want to stay in the small block area. What do you guys think, and what would be the total cost for such a motor. Also can you get crate engine that will do this? Thanks in advance everyone.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 05, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

I forgot to say what I wanted it for. It's going to be street driven, but I want the ability to beat the vetts and the vipers of the world. It's being built as a pro-touring type of car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 05, 03:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Hee Hee, dual everything on 406?

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 05, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

What are the specs on that? Is there a shop that sells these types of motors already built? Thanks

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 05, 04:08 PM
Senior Tech

A streetable 600hp small block is a tall order. You might want to check out the 434ci UltraStreet motor from Shafiroff Race Engines:

http://www.shafiroff.com/434_595_engine.asp
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 05, 04:41 PM
Senior Tech

how stout is that fresh 350? if you were to hang a couple of turbos on that thing, you'd get what you are after and lose nothing in the way of drivability.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 05, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Well maybe I should scale back the hp numbers, but the engine I have now has 10.5 to 1 compression. I'm not sure I could do anything more to it. Here are the specs to my current engine. As far as what else it has, I'm not sure.
I was told that this engine makes about 365hp. I could live for a while at 450hp, but I'm not sure if this motor can do that being street driven. What do you guys think?

ENGINE 350 BORED .30 OVER

New Pistons and Rings Compression 10.5-1
Crane Cam 484 Lift
Hooker Ceramic Headers
New Rods
Oilpan
Push Rods & Lifters Crane Cams
New Angle Port Chevy "Bow Tie" Heads 64 cc
New Polished Intake
New Crane Cams Double Roller Timing Chain
New Holley Double Pumper
Braided Fuel Lines
New MSD Distrubutor & Wires 8mm
New 3" Exhaust with Flowmaster Delta Series 40
Manely Stainless Valves
Esky Springs & Retainers
New Water Pump
Upper & Lower Radiator Hoses & Clamps
New Alternator
New Heater Hoses
Holley Fuel Pump
Crane Cams Roller Tip Rockers
Engine Bay Has Been Detailed & Painted
New Aluminum B-Cool Radiator & Cap
New Fan
New Battery Cable
Rebuilt Wiper Motor
New Starter
Billet Aluminum Pulleys

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 05, 10:52 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Change your compression to 8 or 8.5:1 and get a supercharger ? Big HP numbers and mild street manners.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 05, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

You think I should stick with my current motor and supercharge it? The block is cast from the 69's if that helps.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 05, 12:30 PM

JMO, but drive the car for a while,you just got it ,enjoy it some.There is plenty of time to put together a new combo.Like I said JMO

RC
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 05, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Well this has always been the plan. This is something I want to get started pretty quickly.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 05, 01:58 PM

I quess its because I want to drive mine so bad I cant stand it but it has a long way to go and you have one ready to go and you want to tear it down for more power.Not criticizing,just jealous.Good luck.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 05, 02:29 PM
Senior Tech
Al

If you want 600HP/600TQ in a reliable street motor, I'd say go for a big inch big block.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 05, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

No worries Georgia69. I'm just in a hurry to try and get as much done this winter and spring time before the summer hits. My father has a few different hot rods and I thought the time was right in my life to hang out with him, and not only work on cars together, but to have a real relationship based on something we both enjoy doing.

I thought about a big block, but the weight issue was always on my mind as I'm used to building rx-7's and having them handle pretty well, so this is a new experience for me, and I was always told that the big blocks are not good for making a car handle well. I know kits have come a long way, but I was under the impression that this was forbidden in a real road/street car. Your thoughts.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 05, 03:28 PM

I have always ran small blocks,I've only had a couple of cars with BB's,I just favor a SB.As far as handling with a BB like you said If you got the money I'm sure you can make it handle like its on rails with the parts and technology thats out there today.I'm old school when it comes to my camaro.I have a 5.0.Mustang thats lowered with 17x9 cobra wheels if I want handling.The part about spending time with your Dad is priceless to me I cant wait till mine gets older and we can build his car together,he already has it(83 SS El-camino)he is only 8 but he knows alot already and time goes by real fast,a little advice savor the time with Dad you will be glad you did when you get older and it will be a memory that you keep forever.Enough mushy stuff, drive the car while you build a motor.

RC [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode