Arggh! Headers and too tall head bolts - BBC - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 15, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member
Gordon

Arggh! Headers and too tall head bolts - BBC

Put the motor together and went to test fit the Hooker 2457 headers on the 427 and found the Chevrolet Performance head bolts were too tall and I couldn't get the headers in until I took the bolts out, one by one. The heads on these bolts are too high, I'm surprised because I ordered them from Summit and believed that they were stock replacement, but apparently not. I don't want to spend time grinding off the headers flanges nor the bolts. The bolts have washers which I took off but still a ways to go. So, I'll have to search out used stock head bolts, 4 on each side the lower ones closest to the block. Unless someone has any other ideas?

67 Plain Jane being assembled with 427, 4 spd Muncie, 12 bolt rear with Mosers, 4 wheel discs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 15, 06:06 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Re: Arggh! Headers and too tall head bolts - BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordr View Post
Put the motor together and went to test fit the Hooker 2457 headers on the 427 and found the Chevrolet Performance head bolts were too tall and I couldn't get the headers in until I took the bolts out, one by one. The heads on these bolts are too high, I'm surprised because I ordered them from Summit and believed that they were stock replacement, but apparently not. I don't want to spend time grinding off the headers flanges nor the bolts. The bolts have washers which I took off but still a ways to go. So, I'll have to search out used stock head bolts, 4 on each side the lower ones closest to the block. Unless someone has any other ideas?

If you're using aluminum heads, head bolt washers will have to be used.

I had the same thing happen to me with a ZZ502 and I had to grind the header flanges where they made contact, no big deal.

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't mess with Texas!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 15, 06:41 PM
Senior Tech
Doug

I had the same thing happen to me with my 496. Edelbrock aluminum heads and Arp head bolts. I have the same headers and had to grind the flanges. I held the header in place the best I could and had someone mark the flange for each bolt. I wasn't about to grind the entire flange.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 15, 06:42 PM
Senior Tech
Anne

Every header has a note that says "won't fit aluminum heads."

You just have to test fit on the engine stand and grind for clearance. It's a pain if you already have the engine in the car.

Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
Ronald Reagan
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 15, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member
Gordon

I forgot to mention that they are stock heads. Will search out 8 stock little bolts from the machine shop and the heavy Chevy guys in this area. If can't come up with anything will be grinding away.....

67 Plain Jane being assembled with 427, 4 spd Muncie, 12 bolt rear with Mosers, 4 wheel discs
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old May 4th, 15, 04:47 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

[QUOTE=Lawrence454;3044170]Every header has a note that says "won't fit aluminum heads."

You just have to test fit on the engine stand and grind for clearance. It's a pain if you already have the engine in the car.[/QUOTE]

I don't remember reading that statement when I put my hookers on, BUT then maybe I didn't read the directions. cant remember
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old May 4th, 15, 07:04 AM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdminter55 View Post
I had the same thing happen to me with my 496. Edelbrock aluminum heads and Arp head bolts. I have the same headers and had to grind the flanges. I held the header in place the best I could and had someone mark the flange for each bolt. I wasn't about to grind the entire flange.
ARP bolts and Hooker 2457 will NOT work unless you grind the flanges or use the stock bolts. A pencil grinder makes this an easy fix. A Dremel will take a little longer. You only have to gring the area where the heads of the bolts hit the flange, not the entire flange. One word of CAUTION, WEAR SAFETY GLASSES. The fine metal particles go all over the place and could perhaps get in your eyes!!

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old May 4th, 15, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member
Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT View Post
ARP bolts and Hooker 2457 will NOT work unless you grind the flanges or use the stock bolts. A pencil grinder makes this an easy fix. A Dremel will take a little longer. You only have to gring the area where the heads of the bolts hit the flange, not the entire flange. One word of CAUTION, WEAR SAFETY GLASSES. The fine metal particles go all over the place and could perhaps get in your eyes!!
They're Chevrolet Performance bolts and I assumed, mistakenly, that they were stock replacement....another lesson learned!

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old May 4th, 15, 08:35 AM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Quote:
They're Chevrolet Performance bolts and I assumed, mistakenly, that they were stock replacement....another lesson learned!
I believe those bolts are ARP/similiar

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old May 4th, 15, 08:47 AM
Senior Tech
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat tire View Post
[QUOTE=Lawrence454;3044170]Every header has a note that says "won't fit aluminum heads."

You just have to test fit on the engine stand and grind for clearance. It's a pain if you already have the engine in the car.
I don't remember reading that statement when I put my hookers on, BUT then maybe I didn't read the directions. cant remember[/QUOTE]
You didn't see any statement like that if you bought the 2457HKR because I still have my instructions and I kept the box to put my old headers in and I can't find that statement anywhere.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old May 4th, 15, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member
Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat tire View Post

Mine's hanging on the hoist chain with the bellhousing and tranny attached. Was going to put it in the car yesterday but thought I'd better check headers for starter clearance and found the bolts conflicting with the header flanges. Sure glad I checked before putting it in the car otherwise would have had a couple of scratched up headers.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old May 4th, 15, 09:56 AM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Quote:
Mine's hanging on the hoist chain with the bellhousing and tranny attached. Was going to put it in the car yesterday but thought I'd better check headers for starter clearance and found the bolts conflicting with the header flanges. Sure glad I checked before putting it in the car otherwise would have had a couple of scratched up headers.
I found out the hard way !!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode