Timing with Vortec heads. - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old May 3rd, 15, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Randy

Timing with Vortec heads.

I have Vortec heads on my 327, I have been running 36 for total timing at 3200 rpm. Most everybody says to run 32-33 total timing with Vortecs---What am I hurting or losing with 36? Will it make a difference if I back it down to 32-33? Wondering what everybody else is running for timing.

1967 camaro, 327, 9.7 CR, comp cam xs274solid, vortec cylinder heads, edelbrock vortec performer rpm, 750 annular carb, HVH 2" spacer, msd pro billet w/6A box, turbo 350 trans, 3500 stall, 4:10 gears, caltracs suspension, m/t drag radials.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 3rd, 15, 09:49 PM
Senior Tech
Cory

Re: Timing with Vortec heads.

i know a few running these heads on street/strip cars on pump gas best results running 29 to 32 degrees total. in my own opinion any of the new style chambers dont require the extra lead the heads of yester year did. my own experience with afr heads on my nova, on the chassis dyno, i picked up an average of 10hp and 10 ft lbs at the wheels by going from 36 down to 32 degrees total.
Old May 3rd, 15, 11:18 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Timing with Vortec heads.

Cory, would you suggest the same for the Edelbrock E-streets ?

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1

Old May 4th, 15, 10:22 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Last time we dynoed my vortec headed 350/330 ho motor it had the best power at 32 degrees. Dyno operator insisted it would be better with more but he found out otherwise.
Old May 4th, 15, 02:37 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Modern head design, modern unleaded fuels.. lower octanes means faster burn, less advance.
Even so identical engines 1 may have a total of 32 another 34.. then throw in final real end gearing and cam type, that changes other stuff like idle and the rate of of the timing curve, and the amount of VA.
Factory curves where not individually dialled in for each engine... but a general conservative rate and total established that suited all, with a little more conservatism thrown in for long term reliability..
So it basically a choice in modded cars, if one whats a ball park dialled in tuning specs or best efficiency (performance, economy) tuning specs

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old May 5th, 15, 05:44 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mickey

What initial? My Vortec ran like a dog until I popped initial up to about 15 BTDC. It's carburated.
Old May 5th, 15, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Randy

I was running 20 initial with 16 mechanical--36 at 3200. Today I set to 32 at 3000, now I have 16 initial--with my vacuum advance--30 at idle. Engine seems to like the new total.

1967 camaro, 327, 9.7 CR, comp cam xs274solid, vortec cylinder heads, edelbrock vortec performer rpm, 750 annular carb, HVH 2" spacer, msd pro billet w/6A box, turbo 350 trans, 3500 stall, 4:10 gears, caltracs suspension, m/t drag radials.
Old May 5th, 15, 10:25 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

The instructions that came with my ZZ383 crate engine states 32deg. @ 4000 rpm. Mine runs great with a 12deg. lead @ idle.

Dave

Known to run with scissors....
1969 Camaro Z/28 "clone", GMPP ZZ383, Autogear M22W, Moser 12bolt w/TruTrac 3:73.
Old May 6th, 15, 10:36 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

I run 14 degrees base and 18 degrees mechanical for a total of 32 and it runs good.
Old May 8th, 15, 07:06 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Go to the dragstrip and make timed runs at 30, 32, 34, 36, 38 degrees until the maximum speed is achieved then use that as your best timing.

71 Camaro 355 NA
11.1650 @ 119.30
1.5028 60'
Old May 8th, 15, 04:05 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
Go to the dragstrip and make timed runs at 30, 32, 34, 36, 38 degrees until the maximum speed is achieved then use that as your best timing.
And if u get your AFRs set in ball park 1st...then the results will be even better... change your afr and the timing will change.
Ideally start over advanced and work down... the point at which power drops is within a couple degrees and noticeable... if u go up the drop off is slow...but there is also an 'optical illusion ' effect of engine sounds nice etc and unless have good timing equipment u will end up a little to way too high...

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in