help with cam, heads etc. - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 04, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

hey guys thanks for all your great responses...i really appreciate it (i am sure i'll have more as i go through the rest of my camaros resto.) by the way, just so you guys know...my car is a 69 true X55 SS-350 camaro and as you know it has it's original 350 (in wonderful condition and like you said...nice and seasoned) anyways i got a 3.55 rear end and plan to put a muncie 4 speed in it(is this a good choice?). I want to make my camaro a streetable car so therefore i don't want some extremely high hp gas sucker. What i do want is around 330-350 horses where i can definitely burn some rubber when i want to, but i would like my car very reliable, durable and streetable. Also, I want my car to have more torque rather than top-end hp (my 3.55 rear end will help with that, right?). So you think you could help me out with a camshaft that matches all my wants? What type should i go with...regular, hydralic, roller?? What brand? I would like a solid, smooth to medium idle...nothin real lopey or crazy, but like i said, i will definitely want to burn some rubber once in a while. As for the heads, they are 1.94/1.50 inake/exhaust and are original. The guy i bought the car from said the valve seats needed to be harden if i refurbished them. So should i keep them and just refurbish them or get new heads? What kind of compression ratio and pistons should i run with all this? As for intake and carb, i am thinking an edelbrock EPS dual plane intake and a thunder series 650 cfm carb...are these good for what i want? Remember, i want a durable, reliable, and streetable car...with around 330-350 horses(mainly on the torque side...not so much top-end). And OF COURSE, i want all parts to compliment eachother. Thanks A LOT everyone for your help. And I know some of you answered some of these questions already, but i wanted to give you all the info on my car and what i want so you know exactly what your dealing with and how to help me. thanks again!

'69 SS 350 Camaro (true X55)<br />350 turbo with shift kit<br />3.55 posi rear end<br />favorite Bible verse...all of 'em!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 04, 06:12 AM

Imho, your stock engine and 650 carb. and intake like you mention with no more then a good bowl blend job on your stock heads, a cheap set of 1.625" four tube, long headers running through good turbo mufflers and a CC 270H Magnum cam should give you right at 350hp at 5000rpm and 403t at 35 to 4000rpm per D2K which I would think should do you fine.

(Please note that a CC 270S Magnum solid cam will bump you up to 368hp at 5000 rpm and 419/420 at 35/4000 rpm!! BUT you will have to lash her periodically.. I mention this b/c I'm a solid lifter kinda guy.. Mighty cheap extra HP, imho!!)....

As for your assumed 64 cc double-hump heads..

TWO THOUGHT'S!!!

If I was to do this type motor, I would strongly consider buying a set of new Vortec's and a cheap Powerhouse E-brock Vortec knockoff intake and add a set of $25, Z-28 valve springs and grind the retainers down a schosh for some clearance and go that way. Also pick up a pair of needed/wanted valve covers.. (Powerhouse also sells a cheap set of 1.6 ratio Vortec type guided rocker arms if you want some added lift too, but they really aren't needed, imho)..

This is the best bang for your buck going..

But me being "shade-tree" and a tight-a--, I have to mention that you can also run your stock heads that are just bowl blended and cleaned up until they give out on you by adding some good old Marvel Mystery Oil to your gas and oil periodically as top-oil lubricant which, imho, should make them last for several years or even more if this isn't your daily driver b/c I know there are guy's that do run stock heads for quite a while OK on unleaded gas.

Both are just suggestions so please take your pick, but I will say the family of 268 to 272 hy- cams are what will get you where you want to go power-wise and are nothing fancy, but run great and should last a long time vs the what some guy's say noisy, "extreme" type cams out there nowadays.. BUT I had to mention the good old CC 270S solid cam!!!!

And I have the CC 282S solid in my 496 BB motor...

pdq67

PS., your stock motor should be right at 10 to 1 CR., (advertised OEM at 10.25 to 1 CR.), so you dynamic compression ratio should be right at 8.1 so you should still be able to run good pump gas.. And I wouldn't bother using thinner shim headgaskets but rather use stock, thicker composition ones instead b/c you are about at the max. for pump gas use as is stock, imho..

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 04, 03:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

A "real" SS350 is a (valuable) piece of history, and an appreciable investment. So don't throw nuttin away.

Most probably, a basic rebuild of your 295 hp motor, plus the cam change Paul suggested, will give you exactly what you want, on what's still a stock original engine.

4 Speed's are fun for sure. I swapped mine from a pg to a m20, and don't regret it, not one bit. BUT, the EE code on my block says automatic to anyone who knows, even though my 4 speed installation is "correct" and as stock as I could make it.

If my ragtop was a high option car, or an SS or RS, I would not have made some of the choices I've made with it. Aww, heck, I'll never sell it anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode