Shift Problems in a 1984 700R-4 Camaro 2.8V6 - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 01, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Question

Hello there,

Okay I am having touble with my 1984 Chevy Camaro Berlinetta 2.8V6 with a 700R-4 (with the digital guages). I was driving it one day in OVER DRIVE and stoped at a red light. When the light turned green I went to go and to my supprise nothing happened. 1st, 2nd, and DRIVE work fine and you can accually engage the OVER DRIVE manualy once you get going. But it will not let you start off in OVER DRIVE, and once your in OVER DRIVE, if you give it some gas, it will not down shift the motor just revs. I have checked out the shift switch under the dash and all connections are fine and it is holding a vacum. I don't know if this has anything to do with it but it has a B&M Deep pan on it, but the fluid level is fine. Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks
Dave Valentino
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 01, 09:35 PM
Senior Tech

have you had any valve body mode's done to it? are you useing a adapter for the tranny filter, with a deep pan you need one perioid or you will strave the tranny of fluid. is yout T.V. cable adjusted right?

it sound's like a valve body problem to me. or a T.V. cable problem too. it could also be the govener. man i am not a true auto tranny pro. but if you have a shift kit in it that might be the problem.

well i hope i have given you some places to look.

maybe big gear head can help as he is a gear box man!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 01, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy

Hello there,

No I have not had any valve mods done to it, and yes I have the adapter in place and it is still there (dropped the pan to double check). Also the T.V. cable is adjusted fine (thats the frist thing I thought was wrong with it). It is a shame because I have a 1987 Trans Am (parts car) in my back yard with a 700R-4 in it but that won't bolt up to my 2.8 will it? Thanks everyone for all your help.

Dave Valentino

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 01, 12:16 AM
Senior Tech

dave,

the 2.8 uses a diferant bellhousing then that part's car you have sorry. the V-8 SB/BB and 4.3V-6 all use the same tranny bellhousing set up. the 2.8V-6 and the 3.4V-6 use the same bellhousing.

but the vavle body's are the same in the 2 tranny's if you have a the same year. the valve body's difer a bit from some year's. also the the pump and the spline count changed in 1985, it went from a 28 spline to 30 spline input shaft. oh and there are planary gear improvment's that happened in the 1985 and up tranny's what year is the car with the problem's?...just an idea there budy. and all the gut's are the same, except the # of clutch disk's, the V-8 has more then a V-6.

edit.......... you are bumed out dude! you have 2 tranny's but the vavle body's do not interchange! sorry.

[This message has been edited by ilbl8 (edited 04-15-2001).]
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 01, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

Question

Yea I am a bit bummed I guess the only thing I can do now is to put the 350 from the Trans Am in my car that way I can use the tranny. This leads me to another question, The car with the tranny problems is a 1984 Camaro Berlinetta with the digital guages, if I were to put the 350 in from the 1987 Trans Am I have would the guages still work? I have had some people tell me yes and some tell me no??? Thanks for your help.

Dave Valentino
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 01, 08:22 PM
Senior Tech

Dave,

The 3-4 clutches are burned up, and the clutch material has stuck the governor. You said you can shift it manual with the shifter, but my guess is that it shifts much later than before, that is the sign the gov is stuck. You said when you give it gas in od it slipps, see if it also slipps in 3rd, if so the 3-4 clutches are out.

Larry
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 01, 12:06 AM
Tech Team

The input sprag is gone. This is a problem in 700's which is agravated by low rear gears (6 cyl has 3.42's). What happens to you is this. When you put the car in gear the forward clutches come on, driving the outer sprag race. It is the input sprag applying which actually engages drive so with it bad you get nothing. Now in D3 or lower gears the overrun clutches come on and this now does the job of the sprag (don't accelerate hard, they are only meant to give engine breaking in the lower gears during deceleration). Now when you shift to 4th, the sprag overruns anyhow and this is why you can get 4th when you are at speed.

[This message has been edited by transfixleo (edited 04-20-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode