Correct plug wires... - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 6th, 04, 02:15 AM Thread Starter

I think I want to put the correct plug wires on my car. I have a 05C '69 small block.

Rick's has a "1Q" set and a "3Q" set. I assume these numbers refer to the date code of the plug wires? Which set is correct for my 05C car?

Will these wires be not as good as say a set of 8MM aftermarket wires? Or is it just a matter of durability? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 6th, 04, 05:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

The plug wires were added to the engine on the "engine dress line", not at the assembly plant. Rick's says to use the 3-Q-68 wires on '69s built between August 68 and March 69 and use the 1-Q-69 wires on cars built between March thru July 69. Of course if you have a really late production '69 made after August 69 (before the 70 1/2 was released) then you should use wires coded 3-Q-69.

These wires are no better than the factory production wires. They are definitely not as good as an aftermarket 8, 9, or 10mm set!!

Paul D.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 6th, 04, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Does "not as good" mean the car will not run as well with the stock wires, or the stock wires will not be as durable or last as long?

Thanks.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 6th, 04, 10:29 AM
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

When they are new, they work just fine. However, stock wires start to show their age in as little as 1 year (misfires, increased resistance). I had a stock set that went bad in about 18 months, and it took me forever to find the problem. Everytime I suspected the plug wires, I said to myself "they're only a year old, it can't be them". Sure enough...

By the way, when I say one year, I'm quoting David Vizard.

Matt Jones
Lead Mechanical Engineer
Art Morrison Ent. Inc.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 6th, 04, 10:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

The insulation on the stockers was designed to handle a 10-20KV, factory, point type ignition (or even a pertronix mod kit!) and the amount of engine heat that they would see routed in the manner the factory intended and they are perfectly adequate for that. Since you are considering buying date coded wires, I'd guess your car is a pretty nice, totally stock restoration??

However, if you plan to run an HEI or MSD or something of that kind, or if you have headers and non-stock plug wire routing that make the wires take a lot of heat, then you should seriously consider upgrading the wires to a performance type with better insulation and a tougher outside jacket.

Paul D.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 9th, 04, 01:21 PM
Team Member
John

The plug wires were installed on the engine dress line at the assembly plant; all the engine had on it when it left the engine plant was the distributor. The dating on the wires refers to 1st Quarter (January thru March) or 3rd Quarter (July thru September); use them as noted in the post above. Handle them with reasonable care and route/clip them as shown in the A.I.M., and they'll work fine; my '69Z has 3-year-old stock wires, properly-rebuilt and shimmed original stock Delco 480 single-point distributor (with 28-32 oz. tension points) and the original stock coil, and it will howl to 6500+ any time without a miss (and it won't strand me somewhere with a dead module). The stock distributor gets a bad rap because they never get any proper maintenance; take decent care of them and they'll perform, and won't let you down. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

JohnZ
CRG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode