Fuel Pump BBC Install - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 11th, 15, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scott

Fuel Pump BBC Install

Been awhile since I installed a mech Fuel Pump, got a new Edelbrock one to replace my ol tired and pitted looking Holley (still works, just looks bad even after a cleaning and polish.)

I know this isn't a hard job, just don't ever remembering greasing or lubing the pump hole.

However, was told I should pack the back of the pump where the spring and arm is with grease and also the hole on the block.

Is this correct? I always thought the reason for the gasket was the block allows oil into the back of the pump are to lubricate. I never remember greasing or lubing pump or pump hole before install?

1968 Camaro SS 396 M20 Posi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 11th, 15, 07:53 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

Re: Fuel Pump BBC Install

the grease is used to hold the pump rod up in the block for easier installation of the fuel pump, unless there is some new design of the pump that I am unaware of
I cant remember on the BB if there is a bolt in front of the engine to remove and use a longer bolt to hold the pump rod in place
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 11th, 15, 09:16 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Timmy

Hi Scott
I used the Cam Lube supplied with my Isky Cam.
"gob" it on both ends and along the shaft, shove it up and have the Pump/ Gasket ready to go.
Find the Shaft end with the Lever and push it up, will probably have a little tension depending on where the Push part of the Cam is.

Timmy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1969 Camaro 427 Engine Installed 002.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	110449  

1969 SS/RS Coupe 427BB 700R4 12 Bolt 4:11 A/C, High School Resto Mod

November 1968 Build Date

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 11th, 15, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scott

Thanks fellas, I apprecaite it. The way some of the stuff I was reading was saying to pack with grease and I just never remember doing that, I do remember using assembly lube, but not packing with grease.
Thanks

1968 Camaro SS 396 M20 Posi
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 11th, 15, 10:57 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Fuel Pump BBC Install

This picture is of a small block and I don't know if you can do this on a big block.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 11th, 15, 01:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: Fuel Pump BBC Install

Just for the record ... the BBC rod galley does not intersect with either of the two (2) accessory bolt hole provisions on the right (passenger) side of a BBC, like that of the SBC family.
These are both 'blind' holes on a BBC, leaving these bolts out on a BBC does not present a potential oil leak point as it does on the upper bolt of a SBC.

If needed, you can remove the plug just under the pump mounting location to either remove the rod for service/replacement or use the hole to hold the rod up in place if you are having trouble installing a pump.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 11th, 15, 03:15 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Fuel Pump BBC Install

Thanks John, I didn't think the BBC was the same as the SBC, but wasn't sure.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 11th, 15, 05:52 PM
Senior Tech
Morgan

Garage

Coat the pump rod shaft and end in grease and stick it in the freezer, pull it out and install it asap and it will stay put while you put the pump on. Have rte on both sides if the gasket and put it on the pump with the bolts in the holes of the pump, tighten them up and good to go.

The easiest way is to put the shaft in and hold it against the cam, have a friend pump the starter until it is on the low side of the lobe, no struggles and it goes right in without the spring fighting you.

69 Copo 9560 ZL-1 automatic [email protected], 1.95 on f70-14 polyglas F.AS.T. Race June 2016
69 Copo 9560 ZL-1 4spd [email protected] 1.93 60ft on F70/14
PSMCDR 2014
71LS6 vette [email protected] PSMCDR 2012 SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode