Can't Get It Into Reverse - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 02, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Hello everyone. Finally installed my new Hurst Comp shifter and having a small problem, I hope

The car is a 69 with an AutoGear M22. I installed the rods, making sure the car was in neutral and with the alignment pin installed. Before I even began to connect/adjust rods I made sure that the car rolled forward and backwards, thus insuring that I had the car in neutral.

The problem is the following. I can shift from 1st to 2nd, 3rd to 4th and back again but, I can't get the thing into reverse. I disconnected the reverse rod and made sure that the flange (excuse the term) on the shifter housing was not stuck and it is not. It swings back and forth just fine. Even with the reverse rod disconnected I can't get the shifter to so much as want to enter into the "reverse" position. There is plenty of clearance between the rods although, perhaps being a new shifter, the car goes into gear a little rough. Meaning that it is not a two finger throw between gears.

So what gives? I did a search and printed some stuff off that seems like it could be what I'm looking for but, nothing specific enough to give me the confidence to go back and try again. Has anyone had a similar problem? I would greatly appreciate any advice. It has been a two year project and I am two wires and a reverse gear away from firing it up.

Additional Info.
* GMPP 12 3/4" Flywheel
* Hays 10.4" clutch and disc
* Hays ThrowOut bearing
* AutoGear M22
* Hurst Comp Shifter

------------------
1969, X-44, Export Model, Hugger Orange, Std. Int., BC Rear, PDB, GMPP 350HO, M22 Supercase, SSM Lift Bars, AirGap, Holley 750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 02, 07:01 PM
Senior Tech

I had a hurst comp plus shifter that when it was first new was very stiff going into the reverse position and took a bit of left to right motion - basically rocking it before it would go into reverse the first couple of times. remember, the reverse position is spring-loaded and it seemed to me I had to "work" the spring a bit before it was fairly smooth. mine also always needed to be pushed foreward just a hair to slip into reverse but that may have been an alignment issue, though I would swear the four or five times I went through setting the shifter up I had it right. I say just use a little more force on the shifter knob.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 02, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Four or five times? Well, I guess that if I have been working/waiting this long a couple more times installing the shifter won't hurt. I'll just keep working it and see what happens. We may see another post from me tomorrow concerning the same thing. Well, depending on how it goes. Thanks for the advice.

------------------
1969, X-44, Export Model, Hugger Orange, Std. Int., BC Rear, PDB, GMPP 350HO, M22 Supercase, SSM Lift Bars, AirGap, Holley 750

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 02, 09:20 PM

Hey Judd-
I installed my Hurst Comp shifter this last weekend (after I cut the hole in my floorboard..... thanks again), and my reverse is pretty tight too. It takes some effort to get it to "pop" over to the reverse gear, before it goes up and into reverse. My shifter is brand new too.

I assume you have the trans full of fluid and got the gears all lubed up by rotating the driveshaft. If not, try that..... it definitely helps if all the gears have plenty of lube on them.

Obviously make sure you can rotate the reverse linkage on the trans, so you can be sure its the shifter and not the transmission.

I have a feeling its just the shifter spring being new and tight. Don't force anything, but keep trying.

Ned
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 02, 10:28 PM
Senior Tech

Judd, hate to even ask but if everything is new... you do know reverse is to the left and up...(some people don't know). you didn't say if it was just a new shifter or if it was ALL new to you. just want to be sure before you take it apart again. if it doesn't go with the rods off then it would have to be an issue with the shifter and not the tranny.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 02, 05:12 AM Thread Starter

Hey Guys. Thanks for the feedback. You are correct in assuming that transmission and the shifter are both new. Right out of the box, so to speak. Actually, the entire car is new. I do have everything lubed up and as I put in my first post, I made sure that everything was aligned in neutral. I guess I'll just keep trying (firm but gentle) to get the thing to row through the gears with less fuss. I'm gonna go crawl under the car within the hour. I'll let you know how it goes.

Hey Ned, how's it going? So your beast is race ready? Good. Enjoy.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

------------------
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 02, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Well guys, I went back today and took off all the rods and re-insterted the neutral pin, and even took the shifter out to at least make sure that reverse was "accesible" on the bench and it was fine. So I proceeded to re-install the shifter and adjusted the rods again. Same problem. BUT, I can take it through the gears much more easily now. It's not as jerky between throughs as it was yesterday. The reverse rod did not install quite as "easily" as Hurst puts it but, it went in.

By that time I was a little frustrated and called it a day. I'll take the reverse rod off again and adjust one or two threads in to see if that makes a difference. Perhaps, between the new shifter and the stiff spring, coupled with a slightly mis-adjusted rod could be the prob. I'll let you know. Any other suggestions?

------------------
1969, X-44, Export Model, Hugger Orange, Std. Int., BC Rear, PDB, GMPP 350HO, M22 Supercase, SSM Lift Bars, AirGap, Holley 750, FlowMaster Ameican Thunder Exhaust, FlowTech Headers
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 02, 05:36 PM
Senior Tech
Don

If the pin slides easily through the levers, then it will be ok.

I'm reading where you haven't fired it up yet?
After the engine has been fired, the clutch used a few times, and the trans turned over, it should be fine.

------------------
Don~ ZZ430DropTop
~~~~and~~~~
70 RS/Z28
67 RS/SS Convertible, 70 RS/Z28

[This message has been edited by ZZ430DropTop67RS (edited 08-04-2002).]
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 02, 06:04 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the encouragement Don. I was speaking with my brother back home in Ohio (certified wrench turner) and he said the same thing. Monday, Tuesday at the latest is the big day! I wanna hear this thing growl I'll try to keep everyone updated.

------------------
1969, X-44, Export Model, Hugger Orange, Std. Int., BC Rear, PDB, GMPP 350HO, M22 Supercase, SSM Lift Bars, AirGap, Holley 750, FlowMaster American Thunder Exhaust, FlowTech Headers
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 02, 09:30 AM

Hey Judd-
Unfortunately my car is far from ready to fire up........ I havent installed my BAER brakes, dist, carb, or any of the wiring !!!!!

Its still a long way off. It goes back to the body shop this week for them to finnish all of the body work/paint etc. God only know how long it will be there.... I expect at least 2-3 months, and most likely longer. Hopefully in the mean time, I'll accumulate alot of my needed parts, so when I get it back, I'll be ready to rock and roll !!!!

Lets us know when you get your car fired up !!!! I'm very jealous !!!!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 02, 09:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
Is it possible that you have the little arm that bolts onto the trans upside down. If it is up vs down or either way it could be that you are trying to pull it further out of reverse instead of putting it into reverse. I hope that makes sense.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 02, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

clill, yes that makes sense. On my last try yesterday I noticed that I am at least getting the reverse rod to move. Meaning that before, the rod did not even budge when trying to put it into reverse. At least the rod now wants to shift toward the "rear" of the car which leads me to believe that I am on the right track. I'm really hoping that ZZ430 is correct in that I need to fire it up, move the car around a bit and see if the syncros align once the car is moved. I'll let you know. Thanks for the suggestion none the less

------------------
1969, X-44, Export Model, Hugger Orange, Std. Int., BC Rear, PDB, GMPP 350HO, M22 Supercase, SSM Lift Bars, AirGap, Holley 750, FlowMaster American Thunder Exhaust, FlowTech Headers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode