Hot starting tips - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old May 16th, 15, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

Hot starting tips

I have a 396 with a holly 650 with vacuum secondaries, new hydraulic lifters and non stock higher performance cam and electric choke.

It starts no problem when cold but is inconsistent at starting when hot. When its hot sometime I can just pump the gas once and it starts right up and other times I do the same thing and it doesn't catch.

Other times I try turning the key and pumping the gas when its cranking and it struggles to come to life.

I read about heat soaking but holly carbs are supposed to be less effected by heat then edelbrocks. I've cleaned the needle and seats so I don't think its flooding.

Can anyone drop some wisdom on the tricks to hot starts?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old May 16th, 15, 04:59 PM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage
Re: Hot starting tips

Hot starts = timing, batt condition, starter going bad, cables, are all things to look at. I'm no expert, but I never heard of a carb was the reason for a true "Hot Start". How does the ground cable look ?? Is the small ground wire attached to the fender burnt ??

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old May 16th, 15, 05:52 PM
Senior Tech
Bobby

Grifter, I tend to agree with DT's suggestions and some of them are easy to check. Put the meter on battery and test the voltage, Give your cables a look over and make sure they are connected. If the starter is going bad, jumping it is a way to find out. Coils that are going bad can be a problem too, and they have been known to give problems when it gets hot.

1976 Camaro, M20 Muncie 4 Speed, Hurst equipped
1972 Camaro, Full Drag Car

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old May 16th, 15, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT View Post
Hot starts = timing, batt condition, starter going bad, cables, are all things to look at. I'm no expert, but I never heard of a carb was the reason for a true "Hot Start". How does the ground cable look ?? Is the small ground wire attached to the fender burnt ??
The car is a fresh restoration, the cables, battery, starter and ground cable are new, Im not sure about the coil.

It just doesnt want to catch when hot, it cranks strong and has no problem starting when cold.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old May 16th, 15, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

The car has an electronic distributor, the coil looks new, but it isn't a high output coil. I was told if I wanted a high output coil I would need a filter to the tach
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old May 16th, 15, 06:57 PM
Senior Tech
jerry

Jeff, I don't think your prob is your carb by itself. Do you have headers? If they are Close to starter, it may cause starter heat sink. Also coil going bad. Have
Someone Pull a Plug wire to see what kind of spark there is when trying to start engine . Check to make sure gas line is not close to heat sources. Could
Vapor lock. Just trying to help. Good luck.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old May 16th, 15, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRYS 69 Z View Post
Jeff, I don't think your prob is your carb by itself. Do you have headers? If they are Close to starter, it may cause starter heat sink. Also coil going bad. Have
Someone Pull a Plug wire to see what kind of spark there is when trying to start engine . Check to make sure gas line is not close to heat sources. Could
Vapor lock. Just trying to help. Good luck.
I have manifolds, the fuel line comes up the front of the intake from the fuel pump.

The engine seems to crank over strong but is either lacking fuel or is flooded. It is just inconsistent, what works one day for hot starting wont work the next day. If the coil was bad wouldn't it struggle to start cold, it starts easily when its cold.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old May 16th, 15, 07:32 PM
Senior Tech
Bobby

Sounds like you are getting fuel. Its starts up and runs when cold. You cant start when hot. At this point it sound more ignition related to me but you won't know till you start diagnosing her. Cars can be tricky sometimes. You start by knowing you've either got a fire or fuel problem first. Rule the easy stuff out first, etc. When's the last time you did a tune up? Like the others, just trying to help. Thanks,

1976 Camaro, M20 Muncie 4 Speed, Hurst equipped
1972 Camaro, Full Drag Car
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old May 16th, 15, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdobbs1977 View Post
Sounds like you are getting fuel. Its starts up and runs when cold. You cant start when hot. At this point it sound more ignition related to me but you won't know till you start diagnosing her. Cars can be tricky sometimes. You start by knowing you've either got a fire or fuel problem first. Rule the easy stuff out first, etc. When's the last time you did a tune up? Like the others, just trying to help. Thanks,
It shouldn't need a tune up, it just came home from restoration 6 weeks ago, it has about a hundred miles on it since it came home.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old May 16th, 15, 08:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifter View Post
It shouldn't need a tune up, it just came home from restoration 6 weeks ago, it has about a hundred miles on it since it came home.
An engine runs on air, fuel and fire. You say it cranks strong but won't start when hot. I'd try to find which of air, fuel or fire it's not getting. You can pretty much assume it's getting air, so that leaves you with fuel and fire. Members are simply suggesting things to look at.

A "restoration" 100 miles ago may not have included a tune up on the engine - frankly, I wouldn't expect it to unless the engine was rebuilt as part of that process.

Hard starting with good cranking - fuel or fire.

Mike - '68 Camaro with lots of stuff done to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old May 17th, 15, 06:47 AM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Did you check the small gauge ground wire on the fender ?? Do you have one on the fender?? Is your ground cable attached to the alternator bracket ?? Sometimes paint will interfere with a good ground. If this is the case, the small gauge ground wire which attaches to the fender will get very hot and some evidence of the coating melting will show up.

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old May 17th, 15, 06:53 AM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifter View Post
I have manifolds, the fuel line comes up the front of the intake from the fuel pump.

The engine seems to crank over strong but is either lacking fuel or is flooded. It is just inconsistent, what works one day for hot starting wont work the next day. If the coil was bad wouldn't it struggle to start cold, it starts easily when its cold.
OK, if the engine cranks strong, this is NOT a hot start condition. When the engine is warmed up/hot try different things to crank it over, meaning step on the accelerator pedal slightly and crank. No go, depress a little more, etc. Does the choke have a 12v source and working properly ? Just some suggestions here.

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old May 17th, 15, 09:18 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

The fuel could be percolating in the carburetor fuel bowls and boiling over flooding out the engine once it is turned off. I speak from experience. I installed a Holley heat shield and insulating gasket under my carburetor and it solved the problem. I am not saying that is your problem, but it is worth checking out. The fact that the car runs fine while the motor is running is a good sign. Failure to start after it shuts down while still hot is either a heat soaked starter solenoid, a faulty choke mechanism, or a vapor lock issue. You said that it cranks fine while hot but it just won't catch. I would rule out the starter. You could try to swap out the coil to see if that helps. Take your car for a good drive and get it up to operating temperature. As soon as you shut it down pop the hood and remove the air cleaner. Look into the carburetor with a flashlight and listen for any kind of bubbling or gurgling. Look for any signs of flooding or leaks. Also check to make sure that all of your carburetor mounting bolts are snug. You said that your car was just restored. Some times gaskets need to be re torqued after a few heat cycles. Also check for vacuum leaks. They have been known to come and go with different operating temperatures. These are just some suggestions to get you started. A lot of what I have suggested is what I have personally encountered over the years. Good luck.

1969 SS Garnet Red X55 350 Factory 4 speed
12 Bolt 3.55 Posi
461 BBC TKO600
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old May 17th, 15, 09:47 AM
Senior Tech
jerry

In my previous reply, I mentioned to pull plug wire to spark. Let me re- phrase.
When the motor is hot and won't start, have an extra spark plug and pull
Plug wire, attach wire to extra plug, ground it on motor, ck for spark while
Cranking motor. If no spark, you have ignition problem. If spark is white,
It is too weak. Ign problem. If spark is nice blue, not ign problem. Do this in your garage As it will be hard to see during the daylight. Hope this helps.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old May 17th, 15, 10:21 AM
Senior Tech
jerry

Jeff, about 5 minutes after shutting off engine, do you smell gas? Have you
Tried flooring gas pedal? It could just be flooding out because of bad float
Adjustment, or dirt in float bowl causing float to stick open, flooding engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode