Stock Torque converter or 12" TCI converter? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 02, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Hello all,

I'm looking for some opinions. I will be doing my PG to TH350 swap soon. I will be getting a TH350 with a trans-go shift kit and an external trans. cooler. The shop that is going to build my tranny will include a stock torque converter with the tranny.

My question is...Should I just run the stock converter or move up one notch the the 12" TCI converter that has a stall speed about 300-500 RPM above stock.

Right now, my 327 engine is stock. In the future, I hope to build it somewhere around 325hp with Vortec heads,Comp. XE256 cam,Performer intake & 600cfm carb and 1&5/8 headers.

This car will be a weekend cruiser/car show car and will make only a rare pass at the strip.

I know that I could go either way on the converter and probably be just fine. I'm curious what others would do.

Thanks,
Mark P.

------------------
69 Camaro Coup-My Granny bought new in 1969!
Cortez Silver/drk blue interior
327/210hp
Dual exhaust with Turbo Muffs
Now with Pertronix Electronic ignition!
Powerglide trans.
Ugly & skinny tires!
-------------------------
Search TV Christian Ministry: www.searchtv.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 02, 10:29 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

I hate to buy anything twice myself. If I were in your shoes, I would be consulting with the converter vendor about what they recomend. Use your future modified end goal engine specs and application as the criteria for the converter selection and let them make the recomendation. Be sure to get more than one opinion as well.

Shooting from the hip, I would say keep the stocker and use the bucks elsewhere.

-Mark.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 02, 11:59 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

Call Contential Convertor in Los Angeles. Talk to Jim. He wont steer you wrong. You'll spend but you'll get a quality part for your application.

[This message has been edited by HOTROD69CAMARO (edited 09-06-2002).]

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 02, 06:21 PM
Senior Tech

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Granny's 69:
Hello all,

My question is...Should I just run the stock converter or move up one notch the the 12" TCI converter that has a stall speed about 300-500 RPM above stock.

Thanks,
Mark P.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Depends entirely on your cam. I not familiar with the one you want to buy, but if you serious about getting it, then by all means get the converter to match. The cam manufacturer is probably the best resource for that question in terms of stall speed next to an experienced comrad.

-dnult
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 02, 04:09 AM
Senior Tech

definetaly contact continental about your converter. i purchased the recommended tci for my car. after removing the tranny 3 times for broken pump rotors within 300 miles i had the converter checked an it was out of round at the pilot hub. $495 shot no help from tci, $489 from continental for a much better product. hate to vendor bash but buyer beware.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 02, 12:24 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

Choosing a convertor depends on a lot of things. What do you plan on doing with the car? If you are only replaing the tranny and don't intend to put in a more radical engine than the one you have, a stock convertor should serve your needs just fine. If you plan on drag racing or building a more powerful engine then you should consider a performance convertor. If this is the case they will want to know, cam specs, weight of the car, rear gear ratio, HP and torque numbers (if you have them), tire size all of this is needed to make a proper convertor recommendation. With your future plans I still say a stock convertor will be fine, save your money.(IMO)

------------------
70 Camaro 385ci
69 Camaro (soon to be 6" rod 355 backed by a T56)
2000 GMC Z71

http://hobbystage.net/camaro/camaroman7d/
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 02, 05:26 PM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to CamaroNOTcamero
I would stick with the stocker until you up the cam.
Then i would look into an ATI converter becuase you will need a converter when you change cams.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 02, 06:30 AM Thread Starter

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the replies. I was debating between the stock converter and the 12" TCI with a slightly higher than stock stall speed (300-500RPM's).

The info. I saw about the TCI converter said that it would work with either stock or slightly modified engines.

After thinking about it and reading your replies, I will just go with the stock converter and get Comp. Cams recommendation on a converter when it comes time to hop up my 327. The converter would be easy to replace at engine re-build/upgrade time anyway.

Thanks,
Mark P.

------------------
69 Camaro Coup-My Granny bought new in 1969!
Cortez Silver/drk blue interior
327/210hp
Dual exhaust with Turbo Muffs
Now with Pertronix Electronic ignition!
Powerglide trans.
Ugly & skinny tires!
-------------------------
Search TV Christian Ministry: www.searchtv.org
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 02, 06:56 PM
Senior Tech

I think the stock converter will be fine with the combo you're planning. Comp Cams says the 270Magnum (224/[email protected]) and DE275 (219/[email protected]) will work with a stock converter. The XE 256 cam is smaller than those at 212/218 @ .050
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode