69 performance exhaust - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 02, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

I am looking to buy an exhaust for my 69 L78 396. I want headers going through a free flow exhaust utalizing the stock muffler hangers and looking somewhat stock. Are there any pre-made systems available that require a minimum amount of work to install? I know flowmaster is a favorite but requires fabrication. How about the Hooker system? Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 02, 09:52 AM

I have the FlowMaster American Thunder system on my 69. LOVE IT! Easy to install and utilizes stock hanger points. The pipes even exit between the quarter and leaf springs. They have two different systems that will fit your car. I liked the two muffler set-up with adjustable h-pipe. Check out Summit/Jegs.

------------------
1969, X-44, Export Model, Hugger Orange, Std. Int., BC Rear(soon to be a BT 12 bolt), PDB, GMPP 350HO, M22 Supercase, SSM Lift Bars, AirGap, Holley 750, FlowMaster American Thunder Exhaust, FlowTech Headers
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 02, 09:54 AM

One more thing. The ONLY thing that you have to do with the FlowMaster is cut two pipes that connect to the headers. That is it. No other modifications were made when I hung mine.

------------------
1969, X-44, Export Model, Hugger Orange, Std. Int., BC Rear(soon to be a BT 12 bolt), PDB, GMPP 350HO, M22 Supercase, SSM Lift Bars, AirGap, Holley 750, FlowMaster American Thunder Exhaust, FlowTech Headers

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 02, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Did you have any problem with hangers or do they come with the kit? Also where dod the mufflers go? Do they fit in the same location as the factory muffler? What brand headers did you use/ Thanks
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 02, 03:48 PM

The kit came complete. Hangers, rubber bushings, collector gaskets, all hardware, clamps, etc. The American Thunder kit comes with the two Delta 40 mufflers and they hang right underneath the backseat on each side of the driveshaft. The other kit has the one muffler style with the "2 in 2 out" set-up. That one sits above the differential as did the stock set-up of some Camaros. I am extremely happy with how mine turned out. You can install it in your drive way. No kidding

------------------
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 02, 04:18 PM
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

I've used both the American Thunder and Force II kit.

The American Thunder sounded good, was a bit loud, and was easy to install. Nice SS tips, also.

The Force II sounds better, I think. More mellow and quieter, and sounds great at high-RPMs. Wasn't as easy to install though, and doesn't come with exhaust tips.

I just installed two Summit mufflers, the ones for $14.75 each, on my truck. They sound awesome! A real musclecar sound. If/when I decide to change exhaust systems on the Camaro, I'll use those Summit mufflers.

------------------
1969 Base Camaro
Vortec 355, Perf. RPM, Demon Carb., TH-400
All sheetmetal is NOS GM
See my webpage at: http://www.geocities.com/compuboy007/
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 02, 04:01 AM Thread Starter

with the forceII, do you have to drill holes under the car or can you use the factory mounting locations? One of my main considerations is to not alter the factory floorpan of my car
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 02, 05:49 AM

With the American Thunder set-up, there are holes in front of the tank that are used to mount the brackets. No drilling. Interesting though, that the Force II doesn't come with the tips.

------------------
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 02, 11:37 AM
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

With the force II kit, yes, you will have to drill four holes in the floorboard under the rear seat.

Because of that reason, and because the pipes must meet at the H-pipe and the muffler (making it somewhat difficult to get lined up), I said it was more difficult to install. However, I believe the sound is worth it.

------------------
1969 Base Camaro
All sheetmetal is NOS GM
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 02, 07:48 PM

What series muffler does the Force II come with? I have checked out the FlowMaster site and I really think that I like the sound and pitch of the 50 series. They just sound sooo, "clean."

------------------
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 02, 04:02 AM Thread Starter

Am I correct in assuming that the American Thunder comes in a 2-in,2-out version that will somewhat mimic the factory exhaust? Does flowmaster recomend a certain brand of header system to go along with their exhaust? I really like the idea of "making a little noise" Thanks for all your help
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 02, 09:11 AM
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

The American Thunder system is two mufflers, while the Force II kit has the crossflow muffler behind the diff.

I would say the crossflow muffer sounds very close to the 50 series, although probably not as 'raspy' at higher RPMs. Remember, the farther back you can place the muffler, the better.

------------------
1969 Base Camaro
All sheetmetal is NOS GM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode