edelbrock - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 04, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

as i want good reliability and mostly torque out of my chevy 350, you guys think a performer EPS intake with a thunder series AVS carb would be good and compliment eachother? Again, since i want mostly torque, should i get a cam that produces most of its power in the lower rpms?...btw it is goin to be from crower. Does this type of cam mean it would be considered a "smaller" camshaft? Will a cam like this compliment that intake/carb? thanks guys

[ 12-16-2004, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: camp07 ]

'69 SS 350 Camaro (true X55)<br />350 turbo with shift kit<br />3.55 posi rear end<br />favorite Bible verse...all of 'em!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 04, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

hello out there

'69 SS 350 Camaro (true X55)<br />350 turbo with shift kit<br />3.55 posi rear end<br />favorite Bible verse...all of 'em!!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 04, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

please answer...need advice!!!!

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 04, 05:00 PM
Senior Tech

The performer intake is preferable for low rpm torque, and the edelbrock carbs are an excellent, reliable street carb. However, if your car has a good working (or rebuildable) q-jet on it, you wont find a better torque/economy/performance carb anywhere. And it will complement the performer intake. Is your engine the original 300hp 350? If so, then it was factory rated around 10.25-1 compression. Crower makes a hydraulic "level 2" cam that would fit nicely in your plans. It is 210/[email protected], .445/.445 lift, on a 112 lsa. It will have a smooth, barely noticeable idle, and pull hard from idle to about 5K rpms if matched with a decent exhaust system.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 04, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

wow travis...that is exactly what i have...what is that cam called?? can i burn some good rubber with that cam...does it have good torque in the low rpms?? Also, just want to make sure u know i am lookin at the performer "EPS" intake...still ok?

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 04, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

you think the torque beast cam from crower would do good for me as well (it is level 3 i believe)??

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 04, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

one more thing, we are giving the car a little more hp and torque than it originally had (which was 300 hp-turbo fire...L48 i believe). We will probably have more like 350 to 400 hp

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 04, 09:56 PM
Senior Tech

This torque beast cam you are refering to, is it the 214/[email protected] hydraulic? If that is the one I am thinking of, I'll bet money crower doesn't grind it. It is a old mellings/PAW/summit/TRW/speed-pro/elgin looking profile that works just fine, but you can get that same cam WITH lifters thru summit or PAW for about the same price as crower gets for that cam alone. In any case, its an older profile thats been around for years and yes, with your setup it should burn rubber just fine. While you have the engine out I would suggest adding a mild stall convertor, like a 2400 B&M holeshot or something like that. I would also use a regular performer 2101 that way you can reuse your q-jet (which again is the best all around performance/fuel economy carb ever made. The performer EPS, I believe, is a square bore intake. The older style 2101 has both bolt patterns (square and spreadbore carbs) and will keep you from having to run a leak prone adapter.

If you want to use one of the cheaper crower beast cams, use the level 3 power beast. It is 218/[email protected], and it IS a crower profile. Along with a 2400-2600 stall convertor, it will run quite nicely.

BTW, 350-400hp??? Not quite. With 1 5/8" headers and a good 2 1/2" exhaust and some tuning, it could approach 350hp at the crank. Your factory 300hp is not the same as post 1971 300hp. By later (modern) measuring, that 300hp 350 is more like 250. You will be hard pressed to approach 400hp without going to an aftermarket head.

"This is not a cheerocracy...I make the cheercisions around here"
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 04, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

well i kinda spoke too proudly...it will probably be more like 350 at the flywheel and somewhere around 300 at the rear wheels.
and btw, if u look on the crower catalog...they still make the torque beast, but u say it isnt that good anymore (compared to what else they have?). Also, u said that the "beast" series is the cheaper series. I dont mind paying the extra money for a real nice cam...so is there a better hyd. cam series from crower (like the 420 series)?? you think maybe u could help me look for a good torquey cam...o please
And lastly, with a high stall torque converter...does that mean i am goin to have to power brake it ever time i want to burn good rubber or can i just stomp it...which is what i would like.
thanks again

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 04, 12:43 PM
Senior Tech

I'll get back to you on that tonight, when I get off work and have my catalogs and part numbers handy.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 04, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

thankyou very much that would be great!!!!!

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 04, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

also, you said somethin about gettin new heads if i was goin to try to get 400 hp (even though it is goin to be more like 350). Well my engine guy is goin to do a little machining on them anyways to get a little better flow out of them. But 400 hp was a overstatement anyways...it will be more like 350 at flywheel and around 300 at the rear wheels.

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 04, 07:05 AM
Senior Tech

The crower torque beast hydraulic would be a fine cam to use, but again I dont think crower grinds it. I think it is a repackaged generic 214/224 cam. Crane does the same thing, as does erson. Nothing wrong with the caam itself, but like I said you can get that same profile from summit for what, $80-85 for the cam and lifters? That 214/224 profile has been around for many years, and creates a nice flat powerband from 1500-5000 rpms, and will rev to 6000 rpms with no more than a set of cheap Z-28 style valve springs. For your car, with the 3.55 gears and relatively light weight, I would use the power beast pn# 00903. It has a slightly shorter seat duration than the torque beast, but a longer .050 duration of 218/226, and more lift at .462/.470. It will still idle well with a moderate lope, pull enough vacuum for power brakes, and pull hard from 1800-5500+ rpms. Match it with a 2101 performer, your 300hp q-jet, a set of cheap Z-28 replacement valve springs, and definately a 2400-2600 rpm stall convertor. With a convertor, and decent setup, you wont have to powerbrake it to fry the tires. A 2400 B&M holeshot will complement that cam and gears very nicely, and under normal driving you will barely even no its there...until you hammer the throttle.
This is all just my opinion, of course
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 04, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

awesome thanks!

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 04, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

will my throttle response be good/worse/better with that high stall converter??
O AND MORE THING...that cam u recommended just on your last post #00903...well crower says it is good for mid to top end power BUT knowing that i really want torque, will it give it to me?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode