upgrades - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 03, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Question

I have an 87 iroc 305 tpi. I guess its safe to say I have all the bolt on stuff out the way? Where do I go now? hypertech stage 2 160 stat
flowmaster 80 series msd blaster gm modified maf
airfoil piece adjustable regulator. 1.6 rockers.
accel 8.8s cap&rotor as well. Or honestly should
should I just buy a 350 tall block and take it from there? I want to keep the tpi set up. Also
what would a 3:42 do for my car with the 305 and the 350? I was told I wouldnt benefit much with a 305 not enough grunt. A friend is offering me
a 350 lt1 with the 4l60e harnesses and all sensors. How hard is the conversion? I want to keep the third gen body..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 03, 11:37 AM
Senior Tech

Your best bet is to check out a third gen site... like http://www.thirdgen.org/ - they should have some tech articles, and some knowledgeable people on this subject.

As far as 305 vs 350...you can always make a 305 perform...but the more cubes you've got, the more power you can make, and still be more "user friendly". You gain about 15-20% more performance from a 350. And, if you're starting from the ground up rebuilding it - the cost difference is about $150-200 ($100 for a 350 block core, and $50-100 for a crank core). And then everything from there is similar. Or, if you don't want to go the fully balanced, align-honed, decked, indexed (i.e., partially blue-printed) route, but just want a solid engine to start with for solid, but not radical, performance (say 350-400 hp or so), you could pick up a GM replacement engine for about $1350, (or a short block, better yet), and add some decent heads, 1 5/8 headers and 2 1/2 inch dual exhaust, a decent cam (220-230 degrees at .050), and modify you're intake for sufficient fuel supply, and you're there.

383's (a .030 over 350 with a stroker kit - 3.75 inch stroke instead of 3.48), and 406's (.030 over 400) are also options - more torque, more cubes - same basic block (the 400 block is a little different, and has a couple issues, but most parts - heads, headers, cams, intake, accessories - will bolt right up, and they mount the same). I don't know what your head choices are limited to with the TPI - the third gen site can help you. Or, you can do a bunch of reading and learn about all your options...the smartest route.

The first questions are, how much power do you want to make?, and how much money/time/expertise do you have to spend?

This is a fairly good site for general, and fairly specific, small block chevy, and big block chevy, as well as, obviously, 1st gen camaro advise. And for everything from mild street performance to fairly wild racing performance. But for issues specific to the third gens, you're better off looking there for advice. Though there are a few people here with knowledge on the subject, educating kids with little automotive knowledge and with 3rd gen questions tends not to be high on the priority list of many of the people here - and that's what MOST of the 3rd gen questions posted here get to be.

Good luck!

Huck<BR>355 SBC powered '87 Chrysler Conquest TSi - 10.3:1, Vortec heads, XE 268H cam, HEI, eq. length shorties, Performer RPM intake, 750 Edelbrock (1407), T-5 and 3.54:1 posi indep. rear
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 03, 12:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Den

Garage
GM performance parts made a kit to install the zz4 into a 3rd gen 305 camaro. Just have to remove all the accessories from the old engine. I don't know what the smog laws are out in IL, so this might not be legal. I'm not sure how much work is involved with adding the lt1, but there might be some issues. I would check the accessories and make sure they will line up correctly and work on the LT1. Also, I know the tl1 has the reverse flow cooling system. Good luck

1969 Camaro 350, Trickflow heads, ST-10 4spd, Hotchkis suspension, Baer SS brake kit, moser 12bolt

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 03, 11:45 PM
Senior Tech

ilroc the 4l60e is an electronic shift trans so you will have to either keep the computer or find a conversion. as for the engine,a 350 will make you grin ear to ear when compared to a 305!everything you mentioned will bolt right to a 350 as well.are you sure you have a 305?check the casting #s at www.mortech.com most 87's had 350s i thought.one area you will need to adress is the flexplate if you get an older block.i've had 4 350's and two 305's.the 350's were the most reliable engines i've ever owned,the 305's broke.
good luck
ps.the guys at 3rd gen.org don't hold a candle to our friends here!
Eric

86 camaro,383,topline vortecs,scat crank,wiseco forged 9.5:1,6"scat rods,comp xs282s,performer rpm,750 proform vac sec,msd in cap, hooker coated 1 5/8"headers,3"flowmaster,700r4,2800 stall,3.42 10 bolt posi,hotchkiss lca's,aje tube k member & a-arms
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 03, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I found a used L98 @ a local junkyard complete from an 87 vette. I think that
will be my next project with a lingenfelter mini
ram.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode