QJet 1/4" insulator gasket needed? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old May 20th, 15, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Joseph

QJet 1/4" insulator gasket needed?

After having Quadrajet rebuilt, the carb guy gave me a 1/4" thick paper insulator gasket. Is this needed? I have the original cast iron intake with heat crossover plugged and I am doing the gasket, steel baffle, gasket set up recommended by Lars.

Where does it go if I do need it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old May 20th, 15, 06:03 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

Re: QJet 1/4" insulator gasket needed?

The carb kit probably came with an assortment of gaskets in it. Only use the gaskets you need to match your carb. I take it you have an original carb?

Jon N

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old May 20th, 15, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Joseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyno jonn View Post
The carb kit probably came with an assortment of gaskets in it. Only use the gaskets you need to match your carb. I take it you have an original carb?
Yes original Quadrajet...thanks

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old May 20th, 15, 06:37 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

The original service gaskets you cuold get at any auto parts store in the late 60's through the 80's were a single gasket sandwich of tinplate, and fiber gasket and are still out there but you have to hunt for them. The common service part these days is a single fiber gasket, and you can still find the tin heat shield plate gasket.

Most people with original unmodified hot-slot intake build a sandwich as described by lars. Fiber with slot, tin plate heat shield with no slot and then fiber with slot is the mix I use on my Q-Jets.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old May 20th, 15, 07:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

I had my Q-Jet rebuilt by Lars and he also recommended the 3 gasket sandwich that you and Brian mentioned with no additional spacer. I haven't had any issues at all with that setup. If you don't already have part numbers and pictures, here is a link to his write up in the Corvette Forum: http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...d-problem.html
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old May 20th, 15, 07:04 PM
Senior Tech
Morgan

Garage

Stuffing the heats slots with alluminum foil is non visible and then you can use the stock looking gasket. Stacking gaskets opens up the chance for leaks.

69 Copo 9560 ZL-1 automatic [email protected], 1.95 on f70-14 polyglas F.AS.T. Race June 2016
69 Copo 9560 ZL-1 4spd [email protected] 1.93 60ft on F70/14
PSMCDR 2014
71LS6 vette [email protected] PSMCDR 2012 SOLD
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old May 20th, 15, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Joseph

Thanks for the input guys.

I was just wondering if I needed to use that thick "insulator" in addition to the gasket/tin/gasket combo???
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old May 20th, 15, 09:58 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam1967rsss View Post
Thanks for the input guys.

I was just wondering if I needed to use that thick "insulator" in addition to the gasket/tin/gasket combo???
No.

Jon N

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old May 20th, 15, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Joseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyno jonn View Post
No.
Copy that. Thank you...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old May 20th, 15, 10:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: QJet 1/4" insulator gasket needed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971ls6 View Post
Stuffing the heats slots with alluminum foil is non visible and then you can use the stock looking gasket. Stacking gaskets opens up the chance for leaks.
An even easier 'fix' for plugging the crossover channel under the carb in the intake is to install plugs in the holes on either side

I switched from using brass 'freeze' plugs to 1/4"NPT plugs about 10~15 years ago on restoration engines using stock intakes.

Here is the 'tap-n-plug' procedure:

Use a 1/4"NPT tap to create threads in the existing holes - Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment (67).jpg
Views:	40
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	111329

Install 1/4"NPY plugs using a good sealer, Like Permatex #2 - Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment (66).jpg
Views:	37
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	111337

You can also drive in brass plugs of the correct size to seal - Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment (68).jpg
Views:	40
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	111345

I've been plugging these crossovers since the 70's and never had any problems doing so.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode