Starter nose cone breaking. - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 04, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bryan

Unhappy

On my 68 Camaro with a 350 small block, I am breaking nose cones. It takes about two or three months each time (I've been through three). It is the staggered bolt type for the 168 tooth flywheel. I was told when I bought the car that it had a 350 (which uses the 168 tooth flywheel). Could it be that I have a 153 tooth flywheel? Would this cause the problem? I have tried adjusting the shims (it makes no nose now), but when I do, it starts making noise like it's not shimmed correctly. Any suggestions on what I could check to see what is causing the problem? How do I identify a 153 tooth flywheel?

1968 Camaro, 383 with Dart Pro 1 aluminum heads and roller cam, Holley Sniper EFI with Dual Sync distributor, Muncie M21 4-speed transmission, 3.73 12-bolt Eaton posi differential.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 04, 04:37 AM
Senior Tech

You don't have a 153 tooth flywheel. If you did your starter would not engage at all. But if you want to check it, unbolt your converter and measure the diameter. A 168 tooth will be 14". I don't have any help for you on breaking the nose. Are your bolts good and tight? With your bolts tight make sure the starter is pulled up tight against the block, then check for any movement. What are you using for starters? There are different starters for manual and automatic transmissions.

Chris Avery
'69 Camaro 383 SBC
[email protected] (2977' DA)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 04, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bryan

The bolts are fairly tight. If anything, I have a tendancy to bolt things down too tight. The starters are remanufactured Delco's from two different places. They have lifetime warranties, but the first place finally gave me my money back and told me to go buy from someone else.

I did try buying a starter for an automatic, but it doesn't even come close to fitting because the bellhousing won't wrap around the starter.

I thought maybe that since the nose cone is different on the two different types of starters for the two different flywheels, that the nose cone may be hitting. Only other thing I could figure was that maybe the ignition switch was bad and was intermittently turning on the starter while I was driving down the road.

What about the ring gear? Thanks for the help.

1968 Camaro, 383 with Dart Pro 1 aluminum heads and roller cam, Holley Sniper EFI with Dual Sync distributor, Muncie M21 4-speed transmission, 3.73 12-bolt Eaton posi differential.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 04, 05:08 AM
Senior Tech

I have to ask if you are using a brace at the back of the starter. If not Make sure you get one from GM. I went through 6 or 9 till I figured it out. [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img] If you doubt it disable the ignition and have a friend crank the car over. If you watch the starter closely you will see the rear of the starter doing the hoola dance of death. It works the starter loose slowly and then oneday when its looke enought to misalign BAM. Whoops the goes another starter cone.
Milan

67 Blown Alcohol Camaro "The Combat Rat" 8-71 and E-85/71 BB SS Chevelle "cheap street" (clone) 12.871 @ 107.59 w/1.915 60' and spinning /2002 35th anniv SS Z28 conv./74 454 El Camino .
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 04, 05:34 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Totally agree with Milan on the brace.

Also, make sure you are using the correct starter bolts, with the knurled shoulders.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 04, 06:34 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

Milan and BPOS hit the nail on the head. If you have those two items correct I doubt you will have any problems.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 04, 11:16 AM
Senior Tech

Check your timing! I once bought a running engine off a coworker to replace the blown up 307 in my old '69 pickup. It ran great, had good power for a smogger 350, but broke the noses off of starters about every 2 weeks and ripped the flywheel teeth off about once a month. It ran good when I pulled it, I left the distributor on the engine when I swapped it. I never could figure it out until I finally got a timing light on it (I was 18 at the time...give me a break [img]tongue.gif[/img] ). The initial timing was 24* initial with no vac advance hooked up. Set it back to 14*, and never replaced another starter or flexplate again. The engine was kicking back from the excessive timing and eventually snapping the noses off...even though I never once heard it kick back.

"This is not a cheerocracy...I make the cheercisions around here"
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 04, 09:48 PM
Senior Tech

also make sure the mounting bolts aren't bent at all. if you let the heavy starter hang on one of the loose bolts when installing it- even for a second- you can bend the bolt a bit. as you crank the bolt tight, the starter will wobble, and might end up either too far away from or too close to the ring gear.
get some new bolts and a new starter brace at your friendly neighborhood Chevy dealer and carefully install everything, and your problem should be solved. unless your flywheel is bent or something crazy like that.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 04, 07:30 AM

Smile

Use the paper clip method to shim it right and use the rear support and you should be good to go!!

I always timed my cars by ear to the amazement of my bass-guitar playing Buddy. When I heard/felt it kick back when I tried to start it, I would just backed her off a schosh. Worked great for me..

My buddy couldn't figure out how I could do it UNTIL I asked him how he tuned his bass, then he got the picture..

He, He!! -- Just experience sorta thing!! I doubt if I can still do it today b/c it's been years and years ago since I tuned one.

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode