SY1 intake - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old May 21st, 15, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Kevin

SY1 intake

Hey fellas. I have a 67 Camaro, 30/30 cam, 2.02 heads and currently an air gap intake with a Carter 600. I want to throw on a SY1 and Fast EFI. The problem is, the intake i'm looking at doesnt have the notch for a wide EFI. Do you know if I can mill it in?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old May 21st, 15, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Kevin

Another question, my current intake is a Edelbrock RPM airgap. Just bought the car a month ago and im finding little things out. Has anyone seen one of these with an oil filler? Its marked RPM Performer so its not a EPS.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 15, 06:45 AM
Senior Tech
jerry

Re: SY1 intake

Kevin, as long as it has the indent for one, you should have no trouble
Milling the hole, as there is nothing underneath to watch out for.
Just stay away from front edge. I don't think your Syi intake is any
Diff than others.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 15, 10:24 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: SY1 intake

I would need a better picture, but that intake doesn't look like an air gap. I have heard of people using a hole saw to cut the hole for the filler. The performer series of intakes has a boss cast in that area so the tube can be added. If that is an RPM, it is one of the best small block intakes available. I wouldn't bother changing it.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 15, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Kevin

So on the SY1 I ment to say it isnt notched for a wide body distributor on the #8 runner, the current owner is running a small body. Can it be milled out for a wide body?

My current intake, here are some better pics.<a href="http://s34.photobucket.com/user/endobong/media/20150522_093903_zpsdwerfkdl.jpg.html" target="_blank">
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 15, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Kevin

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 15, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Kevin

So on the SY1 I ment to say it isnt notched for a wide body distributor on the #8 runner, the current owner is running a small body. Can it be milled out for a wide body?

My current intake, here are some better pics. TJ, looks like that is what was done. Comparing pictures I dont think its an air gap. I have seen where some will mill the center divider of the RPM for a gap.. but wont know till I take off the carb.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 15, 12:20 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: SY1 intake

Yes, That is a Performer RPM, but not an air gap. I have never seen a SY1 intake, so I can't say if the wall thickness of the intake is enough material to mill. I would guess, No. The only reason I can think of why to use that intake is for nostalgia and you would want a small bodied distributor to be period correct any way. You can add a pertronix kit or similar to the small body to get electronic ignition.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 15, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Kevin

Yes strickly for nostalgia, dont think the SY1 would have any advantage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode