milk in valve covor - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 01, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

68 camaro 396 cu.in. milky stubstence in valve cover plus small droplets of water.Oil recently changed about a month ago. bought the car like this. can't get info from prevous owner, he passed away and his dad sold it to me. roller cam holly 750 stock intake not sure if pvc valve is working

loosing no anti freeze, after it is warm the engine is a little hard to start like the starter has a tough time cranking it over. I retarded the timing just a bit, but don't know what the timing should be. Pointless ignition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 01, 04:25 PM
Senior Tech

my guess would be condesation. Is your car subject to storage in the cold for weeks at a time and then warmed up occasionally? I know that with a wide temperature change, and running your engine to warm it up will leave a milky substance on the inside of the valve cover, and some on top of the heads.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 01, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

thanks you might be right I just drive it a couple miles a week

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 01, 06:56 PM

Smile

Tell you how bad condensation can be!! My old '64 Fairlane wagon with a 221 V-8 in it had soo much blowby and stuff that one winter I parked the car at the hospital because my wife got sick and when I came back out in 8 degree weather, it turned over but wouldn't start!!

This was on thursday so I left it there and on saturday, my brother-in-law came ta town and helped me pull it home and put it in our heated garage ta thaw out.

To make a long story short, the fuel pump diaphram had frozen w/ "milk" and the diaphram pump rod broke it. Was I supprised, thats when I flushed the dirty sucker out a couple a times. pdq67

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 01, 07:14 PM
David Pozzi

You need to warm it up for quite a while, at least a half hour, or don't even start it up.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 01, 08:03 PM
Tech Team

Unhappy

You probably dont want to hear this, but milky like stuff in the oil is usually caused by a blown headgasket. I suppose it could be condensation, but that would have to be alot of water getting in there.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 01, 08:11 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Cool

My 396 has a crankcase eductor sytem connected to the header collector. The tubing is clear. I will have a milky film in the tubing unless I drive it long enough to get the oil hot enough to "boil out" the condensation. Big blocks make a lot.
Guess that means my joy rides are longer!!

Joe

------------------
69 396 w/SS Trim, B&M TH400, 3.55 12 Bolt Posi, Blue w/White Z28 Stripes, Chrome Rally Wheels
[email protected]
69 Pics http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...559&a=11674961
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 01, 06:05 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Blown head gasket will cause white milky, melted ice-cream looking stuff in the valve covers. Do a compression check and I'll bet 2 cylinders next to each other are very low. Don't let it go too long or you'll be looking at bigger repairs.

Mark

[This message has been edited by mbrekke (edited 03-15-2001).]
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 01, 07:59 AM
Bill

re,
If the oil on the dipstick looks ok, I doubt that you have a blown head gasket. Make sure that when you start the car that you drive it at least ten miles so that it gets good and hot to evaporate any condensation in the oil. By the way, most manufacturers do NOT recommend warming a car up by idleing for a while. You should get in, start it up and as soon as it has oil pressure, drive it ! It will warm up a lot faster this way and keep the condensation down. Like someone else said, if you are going to start it, drive it.
Hope this helps,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner
1973 Z-28 ..one family car...Brother bought it new in 73
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 01, 02:44 PM

Smile

Yes, the little 221 ford had alotta miles on it, used a little oil, leaked alot more and had lots a blowby. But I ran the little bugger for years that way!!! BUT, as I've said in the past, I never, ever beat on the little bugger. pdq67

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 01, 10:09 PM

my guess about the milky substance would be that your motor is slobbering just slap a super charger on it and will go away instantly lol.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 01, 10:12 PM

no here is my real answer was this motor berly assembeled cause i was thinking if you used white grease for the lube then that might be what it is my motor had the milky looking stuff kinda like spots all over my valve cover i wouldnt worrie about i think mine was white grease though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode