Opinions on gear change... - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 01, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
Guess

Question

Good morning all,

I'd love everyones opinion on my plans for the 8.2" 10-bolt for my '69.

To try to save money, I want to keep this rearend. I'm not building a monster engine so it should be fine, but I want to dump the 2.73's and go with at least 3.55 gears. I'm using a TH350 so I know the RPM's will be screaming at 60mph. I don't plan on taking any long trips on the highway.

I was checking out the gear sets/install kits on Summits website and came up with just what I need. The gears are the Rickmond RMG-4900151 3.55's, and the RMG-8310221 Installation Kit. That's $300 and I'll still need a shop to do the rebuild.

Now, I know I'll need a different carrier. More money! Will I need a 3 series or 2 series for these gears? I always get confused with which gears go with which carrier. If I need a different carrier, I might as well look for an 8.2" carrier with 3.43 gears in it and save myself the $200 for Richmond gears and just get a rebuild kit. But I thought that the highest numerically I could go with STOCK GM gears is 3.30 in an 8.2" rearend? That brings me back to doing the Richmond thing.

Either way, it'll be less expensive than spending $1600 on a rebuilt 10 or 12-bolt.

Thanks for any opinions.... I'm not absolutely determined to keep this rearend, I'm just trying to save money.

------------------
Joe
[email protected]hester.rr.com
'97 Blazer
'69 former basket-case
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 01, 08:21 AM
Tech Team

Joe,
I was about 2 hours away from posting the excact same question (and I also had the Summit catalog out last night). I'm sure there's an answer out there somewhere.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 01, 08:38 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Joe

I'd like to hear some good comments/suggestions also. Mine is a 2.56 8.2 and I'm just an income tax refund check away from doing something about it. I was thinking of going the same route you are headed in, that is unless someone convinces me otherwise.

------------------
Robert

'69 getting better every day... (every pay day)

[This message has been edited by rojo (edited 03-27-2001).]

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 01, 09:21 AM
Kevin

Joe, You will need a 3 series carrier for 3.08, 3.36 and 3.55 in an 8.2 10 bolt rear.

The 3.55 was listed as a stock 69 camaro rear option "BN" code for a 8.2 non posi. 3.36 "BD" was the highest stock gear offered for a posi 69 camaro.

I will be doing the 3.36 posi route on my 8.2 rear, but there is no inexpensive way to re-gear these rears. Just have to bite the bullet. The costs of work it takes to set up a 10 bolt is the same as the 12 bolt. The cost of the gears/posi are very close. it's the housings that make the price difference.

There is a difference of opinion about the strengh of an 8.2, but if it's a mild 350 that you don't do day-long burnouts with, it should last a while. There have been quite a few posts on the subject, please do some searches.

PS, did you ever get your door mech hardware?

Kevin

------------------
69' SS-350 ragtop, M20, 3.55 posi. Totally Disassembled & in boxes (I'm working on it!)
69' Hugger Orange Z-21 ragtop 327/PG, Driver
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 01, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Guess

Glad to know I'm not the only one in this boat for a change!

I definitely want posi, no matter what gears I end up with. Seeing as how the highest numerically stock GM pieces that will make it a posi are only 3.36 gears, I'll do the aftermarket thing and go with Richmond. $500 to make this one a 3.55 posi rearend beats the heck out of $1600 for an 8.5" 10 or 12-bolt. If it breaks because I get a little over-zealous with the pedal next to the brake, I'll just have to step up then.

As for the door mechs.... nope. Not yet. I need to take one more CLOSE look at the door and see exactly what I'm missing first. I know I can get the stuff from NPD, Classic, etc.... thanks for asking though.

Well, I guess I'll do that search and see what comes up. The hardest part will be finding a decent, reputable shop to do the work for me.

Hey rojo, what's the weather like down there? I used to live in and/or around Charleston and I MISS IT so much!

[This message has been edited by HwyStarJoe (edited 03-27-2001).]
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 01, 11:03 AM
Kevin

Joe, Big gear head (team camaro memeber) is a good resource for the gears, posi's and install kits. I plan on getting them through him. I'm still waiting on a posi price. The bad news is Eaton does not make a posi for the 8.2 yet (said to be coming out by the end of this year) The only posi avail for 8.2 are from Auburn (not recommended by the board) or an Eaton clone, US Gear Torque Line, that big gear head told me about.

Good luck trying to find a used 3 series 8.2 posi. They stoped making the 8.2 in 71' I think and all the people that wanted a performance gear would have just got an SS 12 bolt. I can't recall see many 8.2 3 series rears for sale, everyone is selling a 2.73 or 2.56 one (like you and I have).

Kevin

------------------
69' SS-350 ragtop, M20, 3.55 posi. Totally Disassembled & in boxes (I'm working on it!)
69' Hugger Orange Z-21 ragtop 327/PG, Driver
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 01, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Guess

My day just keeps getting better and better Kevin. I don't know WHY I'm still trying to make this 8.2" piece of crap work for me when I know darn well it isn't worth it.

I knew it was going to be next to impossible to find parts for it. I guess that until I can cough up close to $2000 to replace it, I'll just beat the p**s out of it till it breaks and put it out on the curb on garbage day. That sucks.... it ain't worth $100 as it is now. I'm just gonna spend as much time as I can scouring the junkyards in this half of the state looking for an 8.5" or 12-bolt like I should be doing anyway.

Thanks for the advice though! (I've been following the comments about Auburn stuff.) I guess I just wanted to try one more time to see if it was going to be worth the time/trouble to save it.

For Sale: 1 complete 8.2" 2.73 geared rearend. CHEAP!

------------------
Joe
[email protected]
'97 Blazer
'69 former basket-case
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 01, 11:49 AM
Senior Tech

Cool

Hwy Star Joe,

I think you can get an 8.5" a lot more reasonable than that. I scored a '73 Nova complete drum to drum one-legged rearend for trading an old 600 cfm Carter AFB, picked up a nice set of 3.42 gears at the swap meet for $50, and I just picked up another complete 8.5" rearend out of a mid-seventies Elky at the swap meet for $80 that has a posi and 3.08 gears. So real cash I'm in it so far $130, $89 for a rebuild kit from Big Gear Head, and $150 to have a shop here set it up and total cost will be $369 plus a carb minus what I get for the extra parts on eBay.

Be patient and shop around...get an old Nova housing because they bolt right up.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 01, 11:49 AM
Tech Team

Joe,
BBC in Linden, NJ. does excellent work. The # is 908-862-6336. Now the hard part...Convincing Mama that spending the tax return on a posi is more important than a silly dishwasher.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 01, 12:29 PM
Senior Tech

To bad you weren't on the west coast I will give you a 3 series carrier. About 90% of early Novas had 308s I get them just for the axles which only fit Novas.

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 01, 02:07 PM
Senior Tech
John

I built up my 8.2 and put in 3.73 gears. They are awesome if you don't plan on going too far at over 65mph. I splurged and got some new forged one piece axles while I was at it (one old one had a bent flange) and a support girdle. I used the Auburn Posi and it hasn't given me any trouble as of yet. The rear has about 5,000 miles on it now and it running quiet. It is always nice to see two black stripes on the ground instead of one after spinning the tires.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 01, 06:36 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

I think the 8.2 is stronger than people give it credit for. I have seen many of them take some real abuse behind 4 speeds and survive. Look at the 7 5/8 in the new Camaro SS with 330 HP and 6 speed. They are holding up pretty good too. If you want to build the 8.2 then go for it. I'll admit the 8.5 is better, but the axles are the same size, and so are the carrier bearings. The pinion bearings are a little larger and the 1/4 inch larger ring gear diameter also helps some. It's up to you.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 01, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Guess

Big Gear Head, (gotta love that name!)

OK... if it can be done and save me some ca$h, I'm all for it. And I hear you're just the man to see about such things!

If you'd be willing to work with me one-on-one through email or whatever, I'd love to pick your brain when you have some time, and give you some business at the same time.

Let me know..... and THANKS!

------------------
Joe
[email protected]
'97 Blazer
'69 former basket-case
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 01, 09:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
joseph l clance

Had the same dilema. 350cid, three speed manual 69camaro 3:08 non-posi 8.2, that would only run best 1/4 of 13.8 @100mph (IF EASED OFF THE START LINE) Recently converted to the Auburn #542061 and Richmond # 40-0015-2. Now it is 3:55 posi and will really launch when i dump the clutch (no more standin still in a cloud of white smoke...formerly tire. Can't wait for new 1/4 time????. However, I had the local shop do the work w/ complete bearing replacement for $800.00 total parts/labor.. Did not dirty my garage, kept the oringial part # on car and retaind the original guts. This worked for me. The rear end is nice and quiet and for some reason handles noticable tighter, especially at highway speeds(don't know why??) and performmes like a Camaro should
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 01, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
Guess

Hi Joe,

That's what I'm talking about. I'd like to keep the original rearend... it belongs in a Camaro! It came with the car, fits in the car and is complete (except for needing new multi-leafs) And $800 works for me too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode