Anything wrong with my planning? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 03, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Ahhh, the 1967, 2-bbl, 327 POS. I want to breath some life into this old baby. Cash is minimal right now, but I am going to buy parts as I go along. First, just the usual rebuild. I am unclear on what I should get done. Here is what I have thought up:

Bore .30 over, hone
magnaflux block and crank
hot tank
resize rods
deck the block( if absolutely necessary)

Can anyone help me with what else I should have done?

Any suggestions for pistons also? I am going to need to go with hypers because of cash.

Next my performance combo. I am going to go with the Performer RPM 7501 air-gap manifold. Also, I was going to go with a 600 cfm edelbrock carb( too small?) I am also going to get an edelbrock timing chain. I am leaning towards getting the Davies-Craig electric water pump that came out a while back. The Comp Cams XE-268 is my choice of cam.

The one problem I have is heads. I am looking at Edelbrock, Trick Flow, AFRs, and Darts. I am really stuck here. Can anyone give me a suggestion on the chamber sizes, as well as intake/exhaust runners I am going to want for my 327?

That is pretty much it... Thanks in advance...

[ 03-10-2003, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: slcorran ]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 03, 02:36 PM
Tech Team

You could save a little cash and get the performer rpm (over the air gap). I have a edelbrock 600 on my 327. I think a 650 would be a little better (but I haven't tried it, so it's just a thought). The xe268 ought to be a good choice for a camaro. I had one in my truck, and it was a bit too big for a heavy truck, stock converter and gears.

You may want to look at a pair of vortec heads for a cheaper alternative also (which will also require a different intake).

You may also need additional machine work. Just kinda depends on what it looks like when ya get in there.

'01 Formula 6 speed...a few mods<br />321 RWHP/338 Tq with just a lid<br /><a href="
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
target="_blank">Kansas F-body Association</a><br /><br />'72 GMC pickup...what is stock is a shorter list than what isn't.<br /><br />Looking for 1st gen camaro
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 03, 04:02 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Spend the money on the heads is my first suggestion.

Forget about the extra bucks for the air gap. The regular RPM manifold will work just as well and cost a LOT less. Forget about an electric water pump. A well set up combo will give you plenty of go power. If you have been running the block/crank for some time, you might want to skip the magnaflux inspection. Price it out to see if it is worth it to you. If you have a known history, you might be better off spending the cash elsewhere.

-Mark.

-Mark.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 03, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks a bunch guys, can anyone give me a price quote?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode