What heads to buy???(Need advice) - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 02, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Can you guys recomend a set of heads that can breath well...I just did a cam change.. (lunati [email protected] duration and 515 lift)...and am not getting what I thought I would..I am at the moment running a GM pre 86 64cc 202/160 head and everyone seems to feel the heads aren't moving enough air.....I have been offered($500.00) a set of double humps with the 202/160 valves but not sure if there any better(Anyone know how they flow) than what I have....Was also thinking about the New Dart / World Products Sportsman 2 heads..Anyone have any recomendations I need some help guys I'm not happy with the way the car performs..Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 02, 06:11 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

I would research the aftremarket heads like Dart,Airflowresearch, World etc. The newer heads have a mush better cumbustion chamber and ports than the old GM heads. I think you'll have to sink alot of money into an old set just to get them up to snuff with whats out there now. I'm going Airflowresearch on my next set of heads. Just my 2 cents.

------------------
Black 69 camaro

[This message has been edited by HOTROD69CAMARO (edited 04-04-2002).]
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 02, 06:20 AM
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

Yes, with that large of a cam, you'll want some 200cc or more heads. Like the previous post AFR heads are very nice. Trick Flow, or spend $4000 on some 32-valve bolt-on Aero heads...

------------------
1969 Base Camaro
Vortec 355, Perf. RPM, Demon Carb., TH-400
All sheetmetal is NOS GM
See my NEW webpage at: http://www.geocities.com/compuboy007/

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 02, 06:36 AM
Senior Tech

Are you sure it's a head problem? Just putting in a bunch of cam will not make it a 10 sec street car. You may be expecting too much.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 02, 07:51 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to CamaroNOTcamero
i agree with oger, i think you went to big on the cam.
Switching to aftermarket (trickflow, AFR ect) would help out alot, but the cam change down to a smaller one would also help out big time.
The whole combo has to be matched.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 02, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I'm not expecting a 10 second car by no means...The cam I replaced had roughly the same lift just not as much duration....Here is my set up..I have lunati cam ([email protected] duration and 515 lift),KB pistons 10-5-1 comp,GM pre 86 64cc 202/160 heads,.rpm manifold..2.1/4 headers dumping into 2.1/2 inch pipes..edelbrock 750, 2200 stall on a built Th400 spining 3.73 gears..
At idle the revs come up but I feel they need to come up alot quicker...A have asked a few of locals gear heads and they all seem to feel that the heads need to move more air...that the engine needs to breath better..
Anyone know what the intake and exhaust runner is on a double hump(I have a buddy selling a set for $500<Is this a good price)...Compared to a dart,cansfield or brodrix head..is there anyone running a similiar setup that can give me some advice...Thanks
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 02, 09:20 AM
Senior Tech

Quicken the advance curve in the dist. With as much duration as you have you can bring the total advance in very fast (2000 RPM or less). That will help the throttle response a bunch.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 02, 11:03 AM
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

2.25" headers on a small block? Here's what I would do for a combo that is more matched to your cam:
1. 1-3/4" Headers
2. AFR 200cc Heads
3. 3000-3500RPM stall

4.10 gears would help also, but I guess the 3.73 would be OK. All-in-all, you've got too much duration. If you want the horsepower of that cam with more street abilities, get a hyd. or solid roller.

------------------
1969 Base Camaro
Vortec 355, Perf. RPM, Demon Carb., TH-400
All sheetmetal is NOS GM
See my NEW webpage at: http://www.geocities.com/compuboy007/
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 02, 11:11 AM

I agree with silver,
the headers are too big, you don't have enough converter.

The car probably feels like a pig, then hauls to a point, then noses over.

yes?

Tell us about the fuel system and ignition. It would suck to buy some new heads and find out you're still not getting enough gas into the engine.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 02, 12:50 PM
Senior Tech

I agree with these guys.

I'm not sure how you managed to put 2.25" headers on a small block...but if that's true, I would recommend you get yourself some hooker super comps.(1 3/4" primaries)

Secondly, you need much more stall with a cam that big. Atleast 3000, probably higher(3500-4000) would be appropriate with that cam.

After you get those things outta the way, your heads would be next on my list. AFR is the best, but Trickflow and Canfield offer good heads for less money. AFR heads will be on my next motor.

Your combo is very mismatched. Especially your stall speed, but your headers/heads are out there too.

------------------
79' Z28 4-spd- built 355, TRW 10:1 forged flat tops, WP SportsmanII heads, Crane Energizer 228* duration .480" lift, Edelbrock Victor Jr., Holley 750cfm, Dynomax headers, dual 3" flowmasters 3.73 Posi 10-bolt
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 02, 05:14 PM
Senior Tech

Yup! the guys are on the right track, if you ask me. Your headers sound too big, your stall is way too low you will need a min of 3000, and your 400 trans is slightly dogier (although it's tough to feel the difference in the gearing) then the 350 so your 3.73 are min. If I'm not mistaking I think Lunati likes to use quite tight lobe angles giving lots of overlap so I would think 4.10 or even 4.56 would be better matched to your cam. As far as your headers go, they are sized correct for that huge cam as that cam will want to buzz at a high rpm. BUT, you can't have your cake and eat it bla bla bla. In order to allow the cam to do it's thing you have to allow that motor to breath - heads (AFR 200) with big exhaust but both these kill your low end torque. Your intake is okay but again not the best choice in my opinon, I think for your cam again I would go on the rev side of the scale and go with single plane (again kills your low end torque). So boils down to the big question do you want low end torque or top end horsepower. Torque, you will need to consider a different cam, and possibly 170 heads like Edelbrock, and smaller headers. Horsepower, you will need to get big heads min of 195 but better with 200's. Sorry for the epic novel but you need some changes before you will be happy, and we all want you to be happy. One final thought do you have room for a X-over in your exhaust? If you do get some white paint or heat crayons and mark your exhaust and run the engine up to temp and install a x-over in where your exhaust is still hot, this should help out on the bottem end torque a bit as well. Keep us posted on your changes/fixes.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 02, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I thought I posted this already but it still hasn't appeared but I made a mistake on the header size it is actualy 1.75..Sorry about the mistake..But I will try to read what I write for now on..Thanks
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 02, 06:46 PM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to CamaroNOTcamero
hmm, Brodix Big Duke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode