TH350 Removal - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 01, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

I need to remove the TH350 from my 68 camaro with a 327 in it. I have done a total rebuild on the car and installed the engine and trans as one unit a while back. I now have a trans fluid leak at the front of the trans, I am guessing the seal where the torque converter slides into the trans. Is there any other place that it could be leaking?

My main question is what are the tricks to removing the trans while it is in the car? The upper bolts are pretty tough to get to as they are very close to the firewall. Can I leave the torque converter attached to the fly wheel? Also any tips for avoiding this problem as I reinstall the trans. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 01, 05:09 PM
Senior Tech
Dale

I would replace the seal around the converter and the big o-ring around the pump.Pull the bolts out of pump and tap,carefully the snout,tapping it side to side.The pump will come out,there will be an o-ring around it. The top bolts are easy if you have a real long extension,and ball swivel socket.You have to un bolt the converter,it is critical the converter is all the way into the pump. Tf you have any doubts weather the converter is all the way in,do not install the trans!Once the trans is bolted to the engine, you will have to lever the converter foward to install converter bolts.An external seal kit is cheap ,20 $.

------------------
68 z28 ,68 rs 327 ,73 454 vette, 2 goofy kids
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 01, 08:05 PM
Senior Tech

i just did this on my 69 , first you have to get the car well off the ground SAFELY,I DID MINE ON A LIFT BUT YOU DONT HAVE TO.
after removing driveshaft, all lines and linkage and speedo cable remove torque conv bolts, rear trans mount bolts (support tranny w/ jack) then cross member ( mine required a few hits w/rubber mallet to get out, lower jack and rear of tranny will drop down enough that with a long extension and a swivel socket from rear of tranny you can easily get to all bell housing bolts. It was relly not very hard at all just make sure everything is un hooked first and be carefull how you have car lifted and tranny supported .. mike (3dude forever)R.I.P. DALE

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 01, 08:39 AM
Senior Tech
Joe

Question

3Dude, did you have to remove the distributor to allow the transmission to drop? Looks like the distributor will hit the firewall on mine if I let the engine tilt back enough to drop tranny.
Maybe there is more room on a small block??
Joe

------------------
69 SS396 Clone, B&M TH400, 3.55 12 Bolt Posi, Blue w/White Z28 Stripes, Chrome Rally Wheels
[email protected]
69 Pics http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...559&a=11674961
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 01, 07:06 PM
Senior Tech

JOE G NO I DID NOT REMOVE IT BUT IT DID TOUCH THE FIRE WALL SLIGHTLY AND I SUPPOSE YOU COULD JUST TAKE THE CAP OFF TO BE SAFE BUT I GOT MINE OUT WITH OUT TAKING IT OFF.
MIKE
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 01, 07:49 AM
Senior Tech
Joe

Cool

Thanks 3dude. Is yours a SB or BB?
I think I'd be afraid of bending or breaking the distributor. Maybe with the cap off...
Joe

------------------
69 396 w/SS Trim, B&M TH400, 3.55 12 Bolt Posi, Blue w/White Z28 Stripes, Chrome Rally Wheels
[email protected]
69 Pics http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...559&a=11674961
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 01, 03:47 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

3DUDE has most of it.

Do be carefull with the distributor cap.

Install the converter into the transmission before intalling the transmission in the car. Use a piece of tie wire routed through the flywheel holes in the converter to one of the pan bolts on order to keep the converter from falling out.

You can use a floor jack with a piece of plywood to lift the transmission into place. Usually the car cannot be lifted high enough with jackstands to allow the transmission and jack to roll under the car. A second set of hands will make lifting the transmission onto the jack under the car a lot easier. Be careful as the jack/plywood is shaky at best.

I have a 3' extension that I bought just for taking off the top two bolts on the bell housing. It makes the job a bunch easier.

------------------
Click here to see see my car and hear 5-speeds. http://www.geocities.com/casanoc
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 01, 07:42 PM
Senior Tech

JOE G Yes it is a small block so there may be a bit more room than yours .
Carl nice ride sounds sweet too!!
Mike aka....THE 3DUDE
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old May 21st, 10, 06:36 PM
Tech Team

Re: TH350 Removal

Following this thread.....I am about to remove the TH350. Does anyone any suggestion on how to keep the converter from following off the transmission upon lowering it down on the jack?

What three foot extension do you think CarlC was referring to get to the top bolts?

Cheers

'69 Van Nuys RS/SS 350 Convertible
-- in process of installing 505 BBC / TKO500
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old May 21st, 10, 07:46 PM
Senior Tech
bill

the converter wont fall out unless you tip it way forward. get a 3/8 drive extension and swivel socket the top bolts will come out from the bottom.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old May 21st, 10, 08:14 PM
Tech Team

Thanks Bill..

'69 Van Nuys RS/SS 350 Convertible
-- in process of installing 505 BBC / TKO500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode