Connecting Rods Numbered - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 15, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Alex

Connecting Rods Numbered

I replaced my oil pan gasket and while inspecting and cleaning I notice the connecting rods were numbered for the cylinders. Would they have come from the factory like that or was the engine overhauled at some point? I did not see any oversized marks on the pistons. I did this with the engine installed. Thanks Alex

1969 RS Camaro
1972 K5 Blazer
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 15, 06:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Re: Connecting Rods Numbered

They were not marked at factory engine assembly

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 15, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Alex

Thanks.

1969 RS Camaro
1972 K5 Blazer
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 15, 06:46 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Garage

I found the same thing in my 69 L48. 50K mile motor still had the original GM bearings in it. I'm fairly confident the engine was never a part before. Crank was not cut and cylinders were stock bore with original Pistons. Could find any reason that someone else would have marked them.

Here is what my rod stamps looked like.

What did your stamps look like?

1969 Camaro SS 350 LeMans Blue
2015 Z/28 - Red
2 x 1967 R/Tís
1977 Power Wagon
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 15, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Alex

Mine looked just like that. Makes me wonder if it is factory or not?

1969 RS Camaro
1972 K5 Blazer
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 15, 07:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

I can't say for sure on an L48. I disassembled an L46 out of a October built Corvette, and it had the rods numbered from the factory. It also had date codes on the bearings (9-69) and the full date ink stamped on the crank (Sept. 30, 1969).

Lynn
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 15, 08:30 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Garage

The other thing I thought was pretty crazy was the amount of stamps, punched, all over the rim where the oil pan sits. Also had stamps on top of the Pistons that matched some on the rail like a weight or measurement.

I don't think it's out of the question they were stamped. A couple of things I thought it may be related to are either a quality check where they tore down to check tolerance and reassembled or something like a 'hospital' line. Maybe after assembly there was an issue where they had to get in the engine after the car was started. That's just a guess, I don't think the rod stamp was normal but it seems to have shown up before on some of the Corvette forums when I researched it before.

This L48 was assembled in July of '69 if that matters.

2015 Z/28 - Red
2 x 1967 R/Tís
1977 Power Wagon
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 15, 08:44 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

Tonawanda or Flint?

Lynn
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 15, 08:46 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilodeaulynn View Post
Tonawanda or Flint?
Tonowanda

2015 Z/28 - Red
2 x 1967 R/Tís
1977 Power Wagon
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old May 24th, 15, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Alex

My engine was built in Tonawanda.

1969 RS Camaro
1972 K5 Blazer
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old May 24th, 15, 10:13 AM
Team Member
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69L48Z27 View Post
The other thing I thought was pretty crazy was the amount of stamps, punched, all over the rim where the oil pan sits. Also had stamps on top of the Pistons that matched some on the rail like a weight or measurement.
The stamps on the pan rail were made in the air-gaging station at the beginning of the engine assembly line, where the finished bore diameters were measured and classified, with a code for each bore stamped adjacent to it on the pan rail. This was the same station where the suffix was grease-penciled on the side of the block with the block upside-down.

There were six to eight different classified diameters for the standard bore, and those codes were sent electronically from the air-gaging station to the Piston Department, where they made up the tray containing the eight rod/piston assemblies for that engine. The tray arrived on an overhead conveyor at the piston-stuffing station, and each rod/piston assembly in the tray had a piston that was cam-ground to match the diameter code for that particular bore.

Later precision bore machining and process controls eliminated the need for multiple bore diameters; BMW was the first to introduce "one-size bore" machining in the early 80's.

JohnZ
CRG
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old May 24th, 15, 10:38 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

From day 1, I've always believed that 'special high performance' engines (and maybe HP engines?) were balanced at the factory (Flint) and the rods were numbered at that point. True or not?

Gary
69Z28-RS
Corvettes (5), Nomads (2), El Camino, etc
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old May 24th, 15, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Alex

This was the same station where the suffix was grease-penciled on the side of the block with the block upside-down.

I did see the grease penciled markings on the rail for the oil pan and stampings all over it.

So then number connecting rods did come from the factory that way correct?

1969 RS Camaro
1972 K5 Blazer
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old May 24th, 15, 07:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

I recently cracked open a 1973 454bbc 2 bolt main engine with a steel crank out of a 1973 3/4 ton pick up truck. It was standard bore with the original factory cast Pistons in it, and all of the rods were stamped with the cylinder numbers on the caps as shown in the picture in the previous thread. I asked my engine builder about it as we'll, and he said that he has seen some motors come from the factory with the rods and caps stamped with numbers. He has been building motors for 30 years. Interesting stuff.

1969 SS Garnet Red X55 350 Factory 4 speed
12 Bolt 3.55 Posi
461 BBC TKO600
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old May 25th, 15, 09:06 AM
Team Member
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Z28-RS View Post
From day 1, I've always believed that 'special high performance' engines (and maybe HP engines?) were balanced at the factory (Flint) and the rods were numbered at that point. True or not?
Nope. Can't speak for Tonawanda, but Flint-built engines were not "balanced" and didn't have the rods/caps numbered, at least through the early 70's. Except for the crankshaft, which WAS dynamically balanced by itself, all of the rotating and reciprocating components had their weight specified on the part drawings, and the engines were simply assembled and shipped. A good friend of mine was the Superintendent of the Piston Department at Flint V-8 in the late 60's.

JohnZ
CRG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode