Carburator spits and pops. - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 03, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Just istalled a Demon 625 and a Edelbrock Performer RPM. Upon acceleration the carb spits and pops. I have been trying to find the best fuel mixture, just off rich. What can be the causes of this. Also running MSD 8360 dist. coil. Thanks, Dan

'67 Camaro rs, L30-327/275.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 03, 03:42 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

If it didn't do it before the carb swap it has to be a carb issue. If that is the case, what you are describing sounds like a "lean stumble".

You can usually fix a lean stumble by changing to a larger accelerator pump cam. If you change the pump cam and it helps some but still pops a little you might also have to increase the squirter size.

the pump cam is the colored plastic piece that goes on the primary throttle shaft, right behind the lever where the throttle linkage connects. The cams come in different colors which correspond to different capacities and are held in place by a single screw.

The pump squirter is inside the carb under the choke plate between the two front venturi. They unscrew with a philips head screwdriver and are numbered. the larger the number the larger the hole and the faster gas passes through it when you hit the accelerator.

E85 racer and E85 carb builder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

68 Camaro, E85 powered 427" small block. 9.96 @ 133 MPH, 1.319 sixty foot on motor. 5.92 eighth @ 116 with a 1.42 sixty breaking beams with back tire on the bottle
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 03, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

You know...something really strange happened recently while timing the engine. The motor idled down and stopped. Like running out of gas. I tried to restart the car and it just kept turning over without firing up. The filter was empty ! I disconnected the fuel line and turned the motor over and got no gas. Not one drop. I reconnected the line, shot in a squirt of starting fluid and it got the flow back into the carb and filter. I still think my fuel pump may be on its last leg and may be the culprit. That thing should have been gushing fuel out the hose. Here is a thought...If the fuel pump was not getting enough gas to the carb, and under accelleration, could this be a cause of the spitting and popping ??? Just not enough fuel delivery ???

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 03, 03:33 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

Yup. It sure could. As a wise old CPO in the Navy once told me, "fix what you know is broke first"

E85 racer and E85 carb builder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

68 Camaro, E85 powered 427" small block. 9.96 @ 133 MPH, 1.319 sixty foot on motor. 5.92 eighth @ 116 with a 1.42 sixty breaking beams with back tire on the bottle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode