crossram carb adjustments - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old May 24th, 15, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Steve

crossram carb adjustments

I been adjusted carbs and timing still getting back fire with carbs when giving it full throttle quick or enough rpms.If rpm up there know problem.Any help would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old May 24th, 15, 08:45 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: crossram carb adjustments

Reason "Cross Rams" are not used with carburetors is that the benefit of stealth (a closed flat hood) is more than offset by the problems associated with an unbalanced plenum. You have to fabricate a balance tube connecting the two plenums together, or part throttle is going to suffer. That is why you are having these problems you are having now. Even at WOT a tunnel ram will still out perform a cross ram with runners the same size every time.

There is no one technique or trick aside from the balance tube (I have seen actual aluminum tubes of 1.5 to 2.0 inch diameter welded permanently in place (which detracts from the appearance and resale value in my opinion) as well as boring a hole and tapping it to accept a size twenty-four A/N stainless steel wrapped low pressure hose in each end of the plenum. Because of the dynamics occurring inside the manifold each engine build will probably be different (of course all 302 DZ engines using Concours parts will be similar in performance and tune). Increase displacement, change the cam or carbs, gearing even the initial timing will all have an effect upon the tune up.

You have to remember that these manifolds were used on race cars only. They were never installed on the car, and shipped in the trunk along with a set of headers from Hooker so that a Camaro could race on weekends, not drive down main street in morning stop and go traffic.

I strongly recommend the stock street driven set up the factory used in the Z of an 850 double pumper on a high rise intake. Actually I recommend a smaller carb and a better intake than the Winters manifold with it's square corners but most purist have a conniption if it isn't stock, ignoring fifty years of engineering improvements in the process.

Big Dave
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old May 24th, 15, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Steve

Re: crossram carb adjustments

I hate to take it off the car.it runs good 90% of the time just trying to get it running little better.I hopeing someone had the same set up could give me some pointers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode