hard start - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 04, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I'm having some trouble. When the engine is hot she barely turns over. I've tried eveything, new starter, shims, distributor. I'm at my wits end. If I take it for a drive and shut it off, I have to wait a half hour before it will turn over good enough to start. When the car is running I have about 13 volts at the battery. Do I have a problem there? I thought I should have around 14 and a half volts. Could this be an alternator problem? Help

68 rs/ss 396-350hp<br />sunny daily driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 04, 08:51 PM
Senior Tech

You are correct, 13.8 to 14.2 volts is considered charging voltage. But keep in mind that at idle, sometimes the alternator doesn't put out as good as it should. Also if there is a bad connection between the terminal block behind the battery and horn relay you can have a similar issue. The regulator will keep the system voltage at spec but a charging battery will be less than the regulated voltage. If this is the case, cleaning the connection, replacing the terminals etc. will get it back. The regulator may also be wimping out on you. Are you using a mechanical regulator?

Once you determine the charging system is up to par you may find you are fighting a heat soak problem. Are you running headers? There are a couple of theories behind heat soaking. One is that the solenoid doesn't fully engage to get the starter to kick in. Another is that the heat causes the winding resistance to increase in both the solenoid and the starter windings making it crank poorly when hot. A heat shield is the usual fix for this. There are also guys who use a ford style solenoid to isolate it from the heat source. But before you get into any of that, make sure the charging system is up to par.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 04, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks for the reply.One other thing is that If I put a battery charger on the car will start. Any thoughts?

68 rs/ss 396-350hp<br />sunny daily driver

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 04, 06:48 AM
Senior Tech

I think you are on the right track then. The electrical system is undercharging the battery. Either due to a bad battery, bad alternator, bad regulator or bad connection. Inspect the connections first from the battery clamp, to the junction block, to the horn relay first. A good way to do this is to take a voltage measurement from the horn relay buss to the positive battery post while the engine is running. You should see less than 0.5 volts or so.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode