Protecting New Aluminum Intake Manifold - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old May 27th, 15, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Protecting New Aluminum Intake Manifold

Hi Everyone. So I have a leak from the the rear of my intake manifold. This'll be the second time I've replaced it since building the engine seven years ago. The last time I omitted the rubber gasket in the front and rear and used the high-quality sealant. Since I have to replace the gasket yet again, I've decided to put a new Edlebrock Air Gap manifold on. The finish is satin. I'm wondering if it would be benifitial to apply a clear heat resistant paint to keep it looking good or if this is simply a waste of time. Any thoughts on gaskets and sealants would be welcome as well. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old May 27th, 15, 07:21 PM
Senior Tech
Morgan

Garage
Re: Protecting New Aluminum Intake Manifold

Any clear coat you put on will yellow and look like hell, then you will have to hand scrub it off.

Keep it clean, if you get something on it, brake clean is your friend. When the engine is warm and off, I have sprayed brake cleaner around the inside are bolt holes that are hard to clean, it boils and you stick a paper shop towel and it sucks it up, be careful, as it is hot.

I like the permatex ultra black, but it is visible, the grey looks better. The right stuff in the spray cheese can sticks like nothing else, but am told that it has air bubbles in it and to buy the chaulk gun size, probably 100 bucks knowing them. The key is to measure how thick your beads will need to be before you start, dry fit with side gaskets in place. I would drop the intake on and barely snug the bolts, wait on hour and then torque to spec. I like to wipe off the excess, others either leave it or cut it off with a blade once dried

69 Copo 9560 ZL-1 automatic [email protected], 1.95 on f70-14 polyglas F.AS.T. Race June 2016
69 Copo 9560 ZL-1 4spd [email protected] 1.93 60ft on F70/14
PSMCDR 2014
71LS6 vette [email protected] PSMCDR 2012 SOLD
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old May 27th, 15, 08:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

I used a moisture cured polyurethane about 1985 and Mostly still looks good. Fuel drips will stain and yellow it. Newer products may be better

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
The older I get the faster I was.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old May 27th, 15, 10:08 PM
Senior Tech
Doug

On my BBC for intake manifold gaskets I would use Fel-Pro 1211. For a sealer I use Permatex Ultra Black. I use Permatex® Super Weatherstrip Adhesive on the cork end seals and let dry. I use the Ultra Black on the front and rear cork end seals where the ends meet the head. These sealers work great because it was seven years before I pulled the engine for an overhaul. I had to use a screwdriver to break the seal. I use cork valve cover gaskets with a sealer called Indian Head Shellac and it took a couple of whacks with a rubber mallet to break the seal.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old May 27th, 15, 10:54 PM
Team Member
Darin

I think there might be a clear powdercoat now.? I was going to check into it next time I drop some parts of to be coated. I'm going back and forth on whether tp coat it clear if available or a natural aluminum color, or black.
If I didn't already have my new air gap,I'd have ordered the black powdercoated one from the start. I do know that I will have it coated to make cleaning easier, since I never liked scrubbing around the bolts to clean the fuel/oil/gunk stains.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70 US Gear Lightning r&p
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old May 27th, 15, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Thanks for all the great response. I did debate getting the endura shine one and am still not sure I made the right choice not getting it. It seems polished aluminum looks great for a while, then gets scratched easily or pitted.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old May 28th, 15, 05:38 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Thanks for all the great response. I did debate getting the endura shine one and am still not sure I made the right choice not getting it. It seems polished aluminum looks great for a while, then gets scratched easily or pitted.
John, The Endura Shine finish will yellow if/when fuel gets on it for any length of time. The Endura Shine is if I remember correctly a two coat finish system with the last/top coat being a clear coat. I did a bunch of research/reading up on others experiences before ordering my last intake and ended up deciding to go with a polished one and then just take care of it as best I can.

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old May 28th, 15, 06:14 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

I used Eastwood Diamond Clear on my natural valve covers. I was going to use the same product on my Vic Jr. intake, but I didn't get around to it over the winter. If you do a google search, you'll find people say it doesn't yellow, as well as other people that say it will yellow with fuel. I'm fuel injected directly into the base of my runners, so I'm not as worried about fuel spills from a carb.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old May 28th, 15, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Im looking into the product by Eastwood and where it can be purchased. My guess would be that no matter the product, just 2-3 thin coats to keep the depth of the product to a minimum. Also looking into the other finishes that the manifold comes in. Wish this wasn't ny day off and that I wasn't all set to do this today.

69’ Camaro convt. Metallic grey, Blueprint Engines roller 383 stroker 445hp/465tq. Edelbrock Air Gap intake. Holley Terminator EFI. Hooker stainless headers. Tremec TKO-600 5 speed, 3.55 posi rear, Vintage Air, March Performance, TMI Interiors
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old May 28th, 15, 08:09 AM
Senior Tech
Chuck

I had the outside of my aluminum intake coated by the same company that coated my headers. It seems to be holding up fairly well and is impervious to the heat on top of the motor. It's a bit shinier than I expected so I would probably go for a slightly duller finish if that option is available. It definitely is better than a fuel-stained, grease-soaked aluminum casting.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old May 28th, 15, 08:37 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Im looking into the product by Eastwood and where it can be purchased. My guess would be that no matter the product, just 2-3 thin coats to keep the depth of the product to a minimum. Also looking into the other finishes that the manifold comes in. Wish this wasn't ny day off and that I wasn't all set to do this today.

I think I got it through Jegs, but you can find it on Amazon as well. I don't know if you can find it locally though.

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old May 28th, 15, 09:25 AM
Senior Tech
Doug

I had my brand new Victor Jr, timing chain cover, valve covers, breather caps, and used Hooker Super Comp headers done by a Company called Thermal Tech Coatings here: Thermal Tech Coatings Inc 312 East Poythress St # A Hopewell, VA 23860
Phone: (804) 452-0263
Web: Thermaltechcoatings.com I had it all done a silver color and everything looked good. Everything but the headers is still on the engine. Once in a while if I feel energetic I will polish everything with some Mothers Billet Aluminum Polish and it brings back the shine.

Last edited by Cdminter55; May 28th, 15 at 09:39 AM.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old May 28th, 15, 11:36 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

Any clear coat you put on will yellow and look like hell, then you will have to hand scrub it off.
NOT TRUE!
I went to the dollar store and bought their clear coat and mine still looks great from 3 years ago
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old May 28th, 15, 08:12 PM
Senior Tech
Morgan

Garage

The clear sprays change the look of the intake regardless of the yellowing issue. I had jerry tumble an intake and it looked nice, now I glass bead it lightly and then very lightly rub it with ooo steel wool to take the powdery blasted look away, if you rub to hard you will get a shiney spot. It looks the closest to the original finish that I have found. The steel wool closes up the pours in the freshly blasted intake.

69 Copo 9560 ZL-1 automatic [email protected], 1.95 on f70-14 polyglas F.AS.T. Race June 2016
69 Copo 9560 ZL-1 4spd [email protected] 1.93 60ft on F70/14
PSMCDR 2014
71LS6 vette [email protected] PSMCDR 2012 SOLD
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old May 28th, 15, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
John

First off thanks for the great responses. There certainly is a lot of differing opinions and that's great. So today I took the intake off, cleaned everything up. I was going to put the intake on with just the bare satin finish on it, and then at the minute, decided to return it and get the one with the Endura Shine finish on it. Tough decision especially with all the great feedback and advice. Not to mention, tomorrow just happens to be my bday and instead of taking it for a new cruise, all I can do is look at it. My feeling is for the $110 additional, it has the best chance of looking halfway decent over the years to come. Yes, I will still have to be careful with it. And if I stuck with the one I purchased, I would have to do something to protect it regardless. At least if there is an early failure of the finish on the Endura one, Edelbrock may have some liability to make good on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode