AFR users I need some help - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 03, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I am in the process of getting a set of AFR 195's and I need to find out if i can use a stock pushrod or do i have to buy special length pushrods. I have never bolted heads on be fore and don't know how to check for correct length. So my question is did u have to install longer or shorter rods? How do i find the correct lenght rod?

69 Camaro RS, 383ci,10.5-1 AFR 195's ported, Comp 286HR, 4340 forged Crank & Rods, JE Pistons, RPM Airgap, Holley 750 HP carb, 350 turbo w/ shift kit, 3000 Coan, Be cool, caltracs,12bolt 355 eaton posi..Best E.T. 12.22 @ 112

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 03, 09:57 AM
Senior Tech
Steven

Here is CHP's way:

http://chevyhiperformance.comtechart...ds/index1.html

Basically, you need a head on the engine, with a rocker in place. Then, using an adjustable pushrod (pushrod length checker), insert it into the engine as normal, and adjust the length until you find proper geometry. This Includes what the article in CHP says, like making sure the rocker tip is on the right spot of a closed valve.

1968 Camaro
355, Comp XR236R Solid Roller, Air Gap, Pro Systems Double Pumper,
TKO, 10lb flywheel, 3.73 rear, Global West Suspension, Corvette C5 brakes
3098 lbs (and falling!)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 03, 06:56 PM

I just helped my dad put a set of afr heads on his car. He did have to go with a longer push rod on his, but i would check for yourself just to be certain. He had to go with a 2 hundredthousandths longer one. Here's how to go about checking.....With the head bolted to the block, take a magic marker and color the valve tip solid. Install a solid lifter, on the valve your checking, if running hydralic lifters. Put your rocker arm on and tighten it to zero lash. turn the motor over until it has made a complete stroke for the cylinder that your checking. Take the rocker arm back off, and see where the rocker arm has rubbed off the marker. Once you have it in the middle of the valve stem you got it. If its closer to the lifter valley you need to go longer. If its closer to the header you need a shorter one...Good luck
Let us know how it turns out. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode