How much metal is normal? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 03, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Rodney

Unhappy

How much metal would be normal in an engine with about 200 miles and run on a dyno? I tore the filter apart today and there is some in the all the pleats. I ran a magnet across it and got metal. I also have a magnetic plug, and found metal on it when I removed it. It was covered in little slivers. This engine has already had one rebuild with about this many miles. Had 3 rod bearings fubar'd and ruined the crank. I am afraid it is the same thing. Before it was knocking and didn't run good and ran hot. This time I am getting it running really good, no knocking, and running cool.

I am about to loose it. Let me know what you think. I am going to put some miles on it and then try changing the oil again and see how it looks.

Thanks

69 RS Camaro (383,700r-4,12-bolt w/4.11s)
79 WS6 Trans Am (406SBC,factory 4-spd,3.23 posi)
87 GTA Pace Car Clone (350TPI,700r4)
97 Bonneville SSE 40th Anniv. (3800 V-6,All Power)
Check out my site at

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 03, 04:54 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

I don't build engines as a profession but, I have built quite a few. Some metal is normal during break-in. It is hard to say without seeing exactly how much and how big. Was everything washed before you assembled it (oil passages cleaned with soap and water and rifle brushes, same for the crank)? If everything wasn't washed down it will show up, it also likes to get stuck in the bearings. Unless you had quite a bit I don't think you have anything to worry about. The oil should have been changed right after breakin, all that moly/assy lube and dirt/metal will clog up the filter in no time.

I bought a brand new truck a few years ago and when I changed the oil the first two times I had metal on the drain plug. After the second oil change I went to synthetic and never had even a flake on the plug again. Just so you know it is normal to have "some" shavings.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 03, 10:25 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

i agree with camaroman. some metal is normal right after a rebuild. the main issue is no big pieces, just some light glitter. also hopefully you cleaned everything real well before re assembly, metal likes to find its way into oil holes in the crank and whatnot during machining, and usually finds its way to your bearings as well. i wouldn't be to worried yet, just keep a close eye on it, and if you find a bunch of gold looking "glitter" thats non ferrous, thats a bad thing. thats usually the copper from the bearings, meaning a bearing is on its way out. i think you'll be o.k. from what you say (it would be easier to say if i could see it as well), just keep an eye on it, and cross your fingers. good luck with it [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Sean

1968 rs with an old school 354" SB2.2 pump gas motor.

Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.

Franklin D. Roosevelt

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 03, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Rodney

It is silver and is magnetic. I am going to drive it normal and change the oil in about 100 miles. What do you guys think about the motor flushes that WalMart and Advance has that you pour in and run the car for 5 minutes? Would that be good for it?

Thanks for the replies
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 03, 09:21 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

I don't think a "motor flush" is needed (that is more for sludge buildup). Just change the oil a few times and keep an eye on the drain plug and filter. If after a few oil changes you are still finding metal in sugnificant amounts you might want to investigate. Make sure you are using good quality oil as well (there really is a difference).

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 03, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Rodney

Thanks for all the replies. The reason for the first rebuild was 3 rod bearings. The inside of the filter pleats was gold. I sent it back to them and they rebuild it and couldn't give me a reason. When I got it back I had it put on the dyno straight out of the crate. I have about 200-250 miles on it after the dyno and have changed the oil(std Mobil One 10w-40) several times. Seems like everytime I changed the oil, I dropped the plug into the pan and had to wipe it off before looking at it. This is the first time I have cut open the filter.

I'm going to drive it easy about 100 miles and change the oil. And do this for about 3 times and then come to a conclusion. Thanks for the help and I'll keep you updated.

69 RS Camaro (383,700r-4,12-bolt w/4.11s)
79 WS6 Trans Am (406SBC,factory 4-spd,3.23 posi)
87 GTA Pace Car Clone (350TPI,700r4)
97 Bonneville SSE 40th Anniv. (3800 V-6,All Power)
Check out my site at

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode