Need advise on engine block - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 03, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I went out and looked at an old engine today. I think this engine was taken out of a 1967 Impala station wagaon. This is a 327 4 bbl with the "power pack" heads. The heads and intake were taken off about 30 years ago and the block was set outside upside down on the ground. Today I turned it over where it has been setting in the dirt. The cylinders are rusted badly and the pistons have corroded to the point they are rough on top. I don't know if this would even be worth the effort of taking it apart??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 03, 10:21 PM
Senior Tech

Tell them you'll haul it off for free, then see what you can do. I have a '69 350 in the exact same shape, and I've been thinking about trying to salvage it. I have heard of electrolytic rust removal using a big tub, washing soda, & a battery charger, but I haven't tried it yet. From what I hear, cast iron doesn't rust much below the surface, but it might take more machine work than it's worth to restore it.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 03, 01:14 AM
Senior Tech

I would bet it is junk. Why was it pulled and left outside in the 1st place? I picked up several 350 cores cheap last year from a local salvage yard. They had been sitting outside in a pile for a while (not 30 years though). Even with the heads on them, 1 was so bad that I had to literally beat 3 pistons out of it with a steel rod and a large hammer. 1 had to be broken apart and taken out a piece at a time. This was a standard bore 350 that ended up needing to go .060 over just to clean up the rust pits, and there was still a few discolored spots down in the bores. Several of the head bolts snapped off with very little effort...luckily there was enough left to get out with a pair of vice grip. Chances are most every threaded hole in that block is shot too. I would pass...not worth the effort.

"This is not a cheerocracy...I make the cheercisions around here"

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 03, 02:22 AM

Just figure on how much machine work you want to do prior to getting it home and ready for assembly.

Taking everything apart, getting it cleaned, magnafluxed, bored, honed, line bored, more than likely the crank is toast and as one guy said, probably all the bolt holes will need cleaned if possible. Another thing to think about are the water passages, are they rused shut.

I'd pass and find a good 327 block locally or maybe even on ebay (with very much caution of course). Anyway, you are still looking at the machining process if you get a used engine somewhere.

Just my thinking.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 03, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Angry

'preciate the thoughts guys. Yea, I think I may pass on this. I would be affraid to sink a lot of money into a block that could not be used even if it will be given to me. I did not check out the heads though. They have been kept inside all this time so they might be good. They are supposed to be the "power pack" heads with the large ports. The only thing is I hate to just take the heads and not the block because it will all be free stuff.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 03, 06:06 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

If it's for free take it all. Like the others said it might not be useable but, for free you have nothing to lose. What is your goal for the engine? Those heads were good "back in the day" but the modern heads are much better. For the price to have those power packs rebuilt (with hardened seats etc..) you can probably pick up a set of Vortecs. If you just want something to tinker with grab it all and see what turns out.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode