Trans cooler question - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 01, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Joe

Question

I have a TH400 with shift kit behind a modified 396. I have the B&M aux cooler in front of radiator, but nothing to the radiator itself.

I am replacing the radiator. (Flex fan came apart; destroyed everything) I am thinking I will get a radiator with the trans cooler in it. I'd like to get rid of the external cooler, but that's probably a bad idea.

Should I use both coolers? Run the hot fluid to the external and the outlet of the externaly to the radiator? Would this make any difference? Or should I just use the external cooler.

I will have to buy the tubing and fittings to use the radiator cooler. It's all hose to the external one now. I guess I can get some inverted flare fittings and an adapter for hose at the local parts store...

I don't have any temperature problems now, but I haven't driven it very far either.

Any advice is appreciated, as always!

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 01, 09:45 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Take advantage if your new rad has the tank for the trans. Run the trans line to the rad first then to the ext cooler. The ext cooler will lower the temp more than the rad will. If you go to the ext cooler first then the rad, the rad will actually negate having the ext cooler by raising the fluid temp.

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 01, 10:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Just installed an external cooler about a month ago. The manufacturer suggested it be installed just as Dennis described. They also said if you did not use your radiator cooler then the ext. cooler had to be a much larger unit.

------------------
Robert

'69 getting better every day... (every pay day)

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 01, 11:38 AM

Cool

One more question. If you have an A/C condensor in front of your radiator, where would you mount the transmission cooler?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 01, 11:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

I mounted mine in front of the A/C Condenser towards the passenger side of the car. Don't know if that was the proper thing to do but everything seems okay.

------------------
Robert

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 01, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Joe

Cool

Thanks for the info guys.

The reason I was thinking of going to the external cooler first was to get the hottest oil to the coolest cooler first, like a countercurrent heat exchanger. That's usually the most efficient method for heat transfer (at least in industrial applications. But these are liquid/liquid heat exchangers).

If the radiator is running at 180-190F, that is as hot as the oil could get (from the radiator). Don't know what the best temperature is for tranny fluid.

I had also read in some of the posts here that using an external cooler could "over cool" the fluid so that it never came up to operating temperature. I don't know if that is really an issue or not. The external cooler is pretty small, anyway.

Any thoughts?
Thanks again
Joe

------------------
69 396 w/SS Trim, B&M TH400, 3.55 12 Bolt Posi, Blue w/White Z28 Stripes, Chrome Rally Wheels
[email protected]
69 Pics http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...559&a=11674961

[This message has been edited by Joe G (edited 03-23-2001).]
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 01, 03:24 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

As far as over cool goes, Perma Cool says the ext. cooler only needs to be bypassed in very cold climates. I don't think CA or SC would be included. The guy that I bought my 700r4 from said he likes to see the trans. temp from 150 - 160. That sounds pretty cool to me given, like you say the temp of the radiator 180-190. So, if the ext. cooler would bring the temp. on down after the radiator then I would guess that's what we are after. I plan to stick with the recommended setup and probably add a trans. temp gauge before the weather gets too hot.

Maybe you can get some more info here http://www.permacool.com/Catalog/Cat_page02.html they seem to have some pretty good products maybe you can get an idea of what your after.

------------------
Robert

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 01, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Joe

Cool

Thanks. I didn't realize the tranny temp needed to be cooled that much, but it makes sense. Cooler is better. I'll install it going to the radiator first.

Thanks again
Joe

------------------
69 396 w/SS Trim, B&M TH400, 3.55 12 Bolt Posi, Blue w/White Z28 Stripes, Chrome Rally Wheels
[email protected]
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 01, 04:23 AM
Senior Tech

I run a 4500 RPM 8" stall on the street. That puppy will bake tranny fluid quicker that you would think. I ran the lines from the transmission (powerglide) and ran it to a rather large cooler. The tranny dropped from a high of about 275-300 degrees to just over 200. I also switched to Mobil1 synthetic fliud. I then mounted a 9" electric fan to the cooler. Now, running on the street, with the fan, the tran stays between 170 and 190. Not to bad for about $125 worth of parts.

------------------
------------------
Mark

1992 Firebird 355/Six Speed (Soon to be LT1)
1991 RS 350 / 700-R4
1987 Toyota Pickup 383 / 500 + HP 10.963 @ 119.95 Slicks / 11.997 @ 114.23 Radials
"Speed KILLS, so drive a FORD and live forever!"
http://personal.lig.bellsouth.net/~racer383/

Member of the "unwanted" 3rd Gen group.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 01, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Joe

Cool

Thanks, Mark. That's a pretty radical stall for the street, I would think!
Must be fun..

Joe

------------------
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Joe G (edited 03-26-2001).]
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 01, 07:41 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

I bought a contenital converter friday and they recomend just an external cooler without the radiator. he said in calif its no big deal

------------------
Black 69 camaro
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 01, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Joe

Cool

Bypassing the radiator would certainly make it an easier installation, since that's the way it is now.

Thanks
Joe

------------------
[email protected]
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 01, 04:31 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Joe,

You might want to talk with a tranny guy before bypassing the radiator to make sure you get the right size external cooler. Stuff like converter stall speed and how you drive will effect how much heat the tranny generates.

Personally if the radiator has the core why waste it! It isn't that hard to plumb... If it doesn't make sure your ext cooler is the proper size to do the job!!

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 01, 05:17 AM
Tech Team

Dennis is spot on about talking to the trans people first. I called B&Ms tech line before plumbing mine in. The reason they tell you to run through the radiator first is to pre-heat the trans oil first. they said trans oil would remain cool for quite awhile just using the trans cooler.Run the oil through both coolers.

Brian.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 01, 06:45 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

You cant over cool a tranny. Think about it, your firmest sharpest shifts are always when you first fire the car up and havent driven far.

------------------
Black 69 camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode