Power Steering Pump Alignment - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 04, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
D

I was looking at my power steering pump yesterday from the drivers side of the car and it seemed it was leaning forward. The pulley was in a different plane than the harmonic balancer. I don't think this is normal, but wanted to check. How to adjust if needed? Thanks!!

1969 Camaro X11
L14 307ci/200HP base V8
PowerGlide
Factory AC
62,000 Original Miles

Prior 1968 Camaro
210HP Turbo-Fire 327-2V
PowerGlide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 04, 05:34 AM

Question

Probably need to slap a straight-edge on your pulley's to see how far off they are and then use some washers on the P/S mount at the motor side to shim everything to line it up..

Hope this helps, otherwise I'm at a loss to tell you what to do..

pdq67

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 04, 12:54 PM
Senior Tech

Those power steering pump brackets are annoying aren't they. Especially the kind that mount under the engine mount. If you fool around with the bolts you can straighten it out some. I had to slice my bracket, align it and weld the bracket back together. I believe the root cause of the problem has to do with the way the factory bracket is supposed to mount to the engine mount. Modern engine mounts won't allow it to be mounted the way it was intended.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 04, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
D

Dave,
It sounds like you are saying this pump has been this way for 36 years, or the better part of 36 years. If that is the case, then its not a problem? In my case, it is soooooo close to the belt. And the extra tension that the belt is getting being in a different plane. Here are some pics if anyone cares to take a look and comment (PLEASE DO). Paul? Dave Pozzi?

http://home.hiwaay.net/~dardons/Camaromisc.htm

After viewing, please share any ideas on an easy fix (if needed) for this shadetree mechanic. Much thanks!

1969 Camaro X11
L14 307ci/200HP base V8
PowerGlide
Factory AC
62,000 Original Miles

Prior 1968 Camaro
210HP Turbo-Fire 327-2V
PowerGlide
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 04, 10:50 PM
David Pozzi

I would check the tensioner adjuster bracket to see if that is holding the pump twisted, if not, then check where the pump bolts into the cradle. It may be a loose bolt or worn bolt hole in the cradle. The rear side of the cradle is slotted. There is a bolt into the front of the pump, it should have a thick washer spacer on there between pump and cradle to make the pump fit in the cradle pretty snug.

To check all this stuff, just unbolt the pump cradle from the block, remove the belt tensioner at the adjuster slot and pull the pump away from the block. Leave the hoses connected, they can be a pain to disconnect and reconnect.
You should remove the alternator belt and swing the alternator away from the engine or remove it for better visibility. Disconnect the battery first if you remove the alternator.
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 04, 05:17 AM
Senior Tech

The bottom rear bolt on that pump fit into a slot on the bracket. It looks like the rear bolt is not setting down in the slot correctly. This is what I was referring to when I said
Quote:
fool around with the bolts you can straighten it out some
. You may find that loosening all three bolts and then tightening the lower rear bolt before sinching the belt will help some. Give it a try and let us know if that helps. It should like up much better than it is.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 04, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
D

This sux. Crawling under the car today to start to adjust the power steering pump position and noticed it was leaking. The line seemed snug. Have not discovered the point where it is leaking though.

Is this something that can be fixed if its not a general tightening procedure? Just wondering if I should replace the pump? Thanks!

1969 Camaro X11
L14 307ci/200HP base V8
PowerGlide
Factory AC
62,000 Original Miles

Prior 1968 Camaro
210HP Turbo-Fire 327-2V
PowerGlide
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 04, 06:06 PM
David Pozzi

There is a large O ring that seals the pump reservoir to the pump. There are also three O rings that seal the two holes to the pump plus the outlet fitting, they are inside the pump reservoir. Of course the shaft seal can leak too.

My pump once slipped at the rear pivot stud and tilted forward, it rubbed the housing on the cradle near the rear stud and wore a hole in it.
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 04, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
D

Sounds like possible same scenario here. I'll take a look. Thanks again David.

1969 Camaro X11
L14 307ci/200HP base V8
PowerGlide
Factory AC
62,000 Original Miles

Prior 1968 Camaro
210HP Turbo-Fire 327-2V
PowerGlide
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 04, 08:45 PM
Senior Tech

I had a similar issue as Dave P. The power steering resevoir rubbed against the block near the freeze plug on the left bank. Had to remove the pump, pull the tank and weld the hole shut. When I put it back together, I installed a washer as dave described on the back side and made sure it was well seated in the grove. It is close but not contacting the block as before.

Dave
========================
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 04, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
D

That rear bolt is a PAIN to get to.

I found the tensioner bolt in the front and the bolt in the back. These seem to do the same thing.

Moving the pump after these bolts are loose doesn't really get the pump in the right plane. Maybe its just not enough to tell. It does seem that the alt belt is further away from the resevoir cap now.

Thanks much for the help!

[ 04-18-2004, 07:19 PM: Message edited by: Domano 68 ]

1969 Camaro X11
L14 307ci/200HP base V8
PowerGlide
Factory AC
62,000 Original Miles

Prior 1968 Camaro
210HP Turbo-Fire 327-2V
PowerGlide
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 04, 09:47 PM
Senior Tech

Lightbulb

I just had a problem like this. I posted under Engine here it is. It might help but since yours seems to be all stock I'm not sure. I used the z28 brkts. I can't tell from your pic does your p/s pump sit crooked tilted forward? If so David might be right you could be missing the nut in the bottom back of cradle.

https://www.camaros.net/forum/ultimat...=011849#000000

1967 Camaro coupe Deluxe interior LT-1 350 w/ 4spd. M-21 trans and 12 bolt rear.

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 04, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
D

RamJam,
The pump does sit forward and toward the passenger side a little. Which is throwing the pulley out of plane with the hb.

I think I misunderstood David about the missing washer. I thought he was talking about the onein the front lower bolt. It sounds as if the rear lower bolt should have one. I'll check to night.

Is the front lower bolt the tensioner bolt? The rear bolt seems to let the pump slide back and forth.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 04, 08:02 PM
Senior Tech

Lightbulb

Domano,

You should have 3 bolts and nuts that fasten your pump to the brkts. You have a smaller one in the front that fastens to the cradle you should shim that between cradle and pump with 2 1/16" washers pushing the pump more towards the f/wall.

To get that 1/8th" gap I had to grind with a dremel around the bottom of the studs in the back. Where the hex area is. This will make them weaker so don't over tighten the nuts.

You have one stud at the bottom of pump in the back that fastens to the slot in the cradle make that tight. The stud at the top is your main adjuster goes thru the radius slot.

When you adjust this don't pry it too hard. When I did it the first time I had it too tight. Had to adjust it again because my belt was screeching when I revved the motor.

1967 Camaro coupe Deluxe interior LT-1 350 w/ 4spd. M-21 trans and 12 bolt rear.

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 04, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
D

I am only finding 2 bolts that actually hold the pump to the cradle, and 2 that hold the cradle to the block. Not seeing 3 bolts that hold to cradle. I may have a totaly non stock ps pump with only 2 cradle bolts. That could be the problem, I don't know.

The 2 bolts on the pump, one if front and one almost directly behind it on the back, are the ones I am loosening to adjust the pump. However, there is a bolt right above the rear bolt that looks like it is connected to nothing related to moving the pump. This could be the third bolt you guys are talking about? There is no portion of the cradle this third upper bolt is connected to, so I haven't messed with it.

Anyway, after loosening the 2 bolts and I can get it better in alignment, however when I crawl back under the car to tighten, the pupm seems to jump back out of alingment when tightening. Even while I am holding it.

[ 04-20-2004, 08:05 PM: Message edited by: Domano 68 ]

1969 Camaro X11
L14 307ci/200HP base V8
PowerGlide
Factory AC
62,000 Original Miles

Prior 1968 Camaro
210HP Turbo-Fire 327-2V
PowerGlide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode