Max overbore? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 02, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I have a 302 for a 68 Z/28 that I am considering reinstalling, but it has been bored .06, that has got to be pushing it I would think. It ran fine when my dad pullled it for a 355. He put a supercharger on it and didn't want to use the 302. I have aquirred the car due to his passing and I may put some of the car closer to original.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 02, 03:33 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Some blocks will be fine at .060 but not all. If it works, don't fix it.

I would be thrilled to have such a car as yours by the way. My dad had a few classics over the years but he never kept any of them. I realy wish he had because I have lots of fond memories of those times.

-Mark.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 02, 07:02 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

The older blocks are often OK to go .060 but its a good idea to have them sonic checked before you bore them beyond .040. If the engine has already been done and its at .060, I wouldn't worry at all about it and would just leave it alone as long as it runs.

Sometimes you can even redo a block that's already .060 by using a looser fitting piston and doing a light hone on the walls. I just did this on my block after breaking a piston. My old KB's were a tight fitting piston and my new SRP's need a little more room - so we just honed them out another .002" to achieve the recommended SRP spec.

You could also have the block sleeved too if you have a numbers matching block that's all used up. Nothing at all wrong with a sleeved block if is done by a competent machinist.

Keep in mind though that 302 pistons are hard if not impossible to find - so don't throw any used ones out!

[This message has been edited by Eric68 (edited 09-07-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Eric68 (edited 09-07-2002).]

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 02, 08:41 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
joseph l clance

i have a 307 block that i bored .125 over to accept the 4" 350 piston. replaced the crank w/ a 350 crank and placed well over 70 k miles trouble free. It never let me down.
i think i was lucky there was no voids deep in the walls, and the older block walls were more than thick enough to allow it.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 02, 09:21 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to CamaroNOTcamero
Eric, Ross Pistons makes NHRA stock replacement pistons for "290HP 67-69" 302's. They are forged. They cost $647, so i agree with Eric dont can the ones you have unless they dont fit!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 02, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Unfortunatly one of the pistons has a chunk out of it down to the first ring so I'll need new ones. It's not disassembled so I havent checked the bores. Sleeving is an idea though.
thanks for the information!

Doug
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 02, 06:49 PM

dude dont change that car

------------------
pupertrayrules
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 02, 07:06 PM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

blown,
I've done as Eric has with a light honing. I've even used my ridge reamer prior to honing if there was a light ridge to cut it down first. But bores have to be true and good to begin with.

I hope you'll find the piston you need. I just sold a set of +.020 302s that were brand new. I've also had .040 and.030 sets. I've never run across a .060 set, but I know someone will have them, for the right price I'm sure.

Good Luck,
Dave
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 02, 07:12 PM

I agonized over stroker pistons for my 496 for several days b/c I'm a tight-a--!!

I was going ta use stock forged and deck and such stuff but after it was all said and done with, the peace of mind I got after buying my ROSS pistons made up for all the hassle, (and cost), I was putting myself through!!! pdq67

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 02, 09:02 PM

If pistons for the 302 are so expensive

I've got an intresting idea how about getting a set of long rods without the pin machined then set them up so you can use 350 pistons. You could have the benifits of longer than stock rods and a cheap source for pistons
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 02, 04:03 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

You know, the cost of a set of custom pistons is not all that far out of line when you are building a stout engine. $400 for a set of off the shelf vs maybe $700 for a set of custom made slugs ain't all that bad. No sense whining about it for an extra $300 in the whole car/engine. Everything else is easy and even the cranks are not that bad when compared to another forged factory piece.

-Mark.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode