AFR head questions please. - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old May 31st, 15, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Larry

AFR head questions please.

Have been looking at AFR heads for a 408 SBC I am building for street / strip use. Have concerns about the raised exhaust valve position in these heads. The 195's the exhaust valve is raised .100 and the 210 heads have it raised a full .250 inch. I have really nice Dynatech headers that I think will fit but maybe not? Am looking for feedback from guys who have actually installed these heads in a 1st gen car (mine is a 67). Want to make sure there are no issues with clearance around steering gear box etc.
I may just try and find the next best aftermarket head that does NOT have the raised exhaust valves like the AFR's. I would like opinions on heads other than the AFR's as well please. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old May 31st, 15, 05:01 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

Re: AFR head questions please.

not sure about the dynatech but I have super comps on my .100 raised port heads. no problem
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old May 31st, 15, 05:07 AM
Senior Tech
Doug

Have you looked at these heads. They have the standard exhaust with 65cc or 75cc chambers. Call ARP personally. AFR SBC 210cc Race Ready Heads, standard exhaust, 75cc chambers, complete w/parts. The part number is 1050 or 1054.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old May 31st, 15, 05:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jonathon

Just a clarification question, are you talking about raised exhaust ports? If so a member here "I believe " done this with the updated Dynatech headers but not sure. His name is Scott "NH69Z28RS"
The standard 23 degree head should be fine with your header set up. If they are the same header part #.
I am running the 65cc 1034 part number heads described above and my Dynatech's fit perfectly with power steering etc..

68 Resto-Mod in progress..355sbc .350 Trans Rushforth wheels
My Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old May 31st, 15, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Larry

Quote:
Have you looked at these heads. They have the standard exhaust with 65cc or 75cc chambers. Call ARP personally. AFR SBC 210cc Race Ready Heads, standard exhaust, 75cc chambers, complete w/parts. The part number is 1050 or 1054.
the "1054" head is the one I was looking at. Says it has raised exhaust port by .25inch here.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/afr-1054

1050 says the same
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/afr-1050

Both of these have the exhaust ports raised by .250 inch which is my concern.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old May 31st, 15, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Larry

Quote:
Just a clarification question, are you talking about raised exhaust ports? If so a member here "I believe " done this with the updated Dynatech headers but not sure. His name is Scott "NH69Z28RS"
The standard 23 degree head should be fine with your header set up. If they are the same header part #.
I am running the 65cc 1034 part number heads described above and my Dynatech's fit perfectly with power steering etc..
Ok this is what I need someone who has done this. So you are saying your heads went on with no clearance issues around steering , etc? Did you have your Dynatech headers on another head prior to the AFR's or did you install them with the AFR's?
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old May 31st, 15, 09:28 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

I've been down this road with the AFR heads and Dynatech headers, but the answer to your question I believe depends at the very least on which Dynatech headers (small primary vs large primary stepped tubes) you have. I believe they make a 1-5/8" stepped into a 1-3/4" primary tube (small) OR a 1-3/4" stepped into a 1-7/8" primary tube (large). Obviously things get a bit tighter and more complicated with the large primary tube header. Which header do you currently have (there should be an ID plate welded on one of the primary tubes of each header, the drivers side is the one that matters) and perhaps I can help answer your question?

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old May 31st, 15, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Larry

Hey Scott, as you can see I am still agonizing over this head purchase. I want to get it right the 1st time. Its hard to read the plate on my headers but it looks like the 1st set of numbers is 740-11211 (the 7 might be a 1 or a 2 though) and the second set of numbers is 51422. I bought them in 2011 but am unsure about the primary and secondary tube measurements but I think they are 1 5/8 to 1 3/4 if memory serves. They fit like a glove and I had hoped to retain them.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old May 31st, 15, 10:08 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by L Holmes View Post
Hey Scott, as you can see I am still agonizing over this head purchase. I want to get it right the 1st time. Its hard to read the plate on my headers but it looks like the 1st set of numbers is 740-11211 (the 7 might be a 1 or a 2 though) and the second set of numbers is 51422. I bought them in 2011 but am unsure about the primary and secondary tube measurements but I think they are 1 5/8 to 1 3/4 if memory serves. They fit like a glove and I had hoped to retain them.
Larry, you are wise to do your homework. A quick Google search turned up a link for that number (740-11211) at Summit, but it looks like an old, incomplete link. A second match was found at http://www.tickperformance.com/dynat...1-7-740-11211/ which looks to me to be the small tube primary version. That puts you in a better situation in my opinion BUT I only have experience with the large primary tube headers which Dynatech had to redesign to get them to fit and work for myself, Mike McMasters and others that had 69 Camaro's with manual transmission cars, power steering and AFR 210 raised port heads. Recently another member received a set of supposedly the same header as I have and it wouldn't fit due to insufficient room for a #7 spark plug without the addition of a 3/8" thick spacer flange and extra gasket so I have no idea what is going on with that?

Hopefully someone else out here that has your same header and the .25" raised port AFR heads will respond, but if you still have the engine with the headers in the car perhaps just unbolting the pipe from the header at the collector and removing the header bolts would allow you to hold the header in the approximate position the raised port heads will put it to see if there appears to be plenty of room or if it will be just marginal or even no fit at all. Sorry, I wish I could be of more help but that's all I've got for you for now. Best wishes in your upgrade

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old May 31st, 15, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Larry

Scott thanks so much for your time and input. As much as I like the AFR heads I am beginning to think I should look at the next best head that has stock exhaust valve placement so I can retain my expensive headers and not have to modify a brand new exhaust system.

From the flow numbers I have found on the internet the Edelbrock vic jr heads http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-77589/overview/
Are a close second to the AFR's. Based on this comparison. https://www.airflowresearch.com/chp_test.php
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old May 31st, 15, 12:19 PM
Banned
Chet

Save yourself some money and get the Profiler 195 heads. Flow is right there with AFR Eliminators but hundreds less. Exhaust ports only .100 higher. They've been kicking *** in the big block world and now doing the same in the small block world. Don't buy into all the hype that AFR is the be all end all of heads.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old May 31st, 15, 02:09 PM
Senior Tech
Doug

Why do you look at Summit for information on the AFR heads. Look at this link from their website. http://www.airflowresearch.com/produ...products_id=85 I looked at Summit Racing's link you posted but this ain't the first time they advertise the wrong information. Here is the phone number for AFR, call it if those are the heads you want. toll free: 877-892-8844. Here is a link for the Pro-Filer heads. These are great heads made here in the USA. http://www.profilerperformance.com/r.../sbc-23-degree
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old May 31st, 15, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Larry

Code:
 Why do you look at Summit for information on the AFR heads. Look at this link from their website. http://www.airflowresearch.com/produ...products_id=85 I looked at Summit Racing's link you posted but this ain't the first time they advertise the wrong information. Here is the phone number for AFR, call it if those are the heads you want. toll free: 877-892-8844. Here is a link for the Pro-Filer heads. These are great heads made here in the USA. http://www.profilerperformance.com/r.../sbc-23-degree
The AFR website says the heads you just linked have the exhaust raised .250 inch. Look under specs and features and then look at the exhaust port location. "raised .250" http://www.airflowresearch.com/index.php?cPath=24_33
I appreciate your input though. I will call the Profiler people & also see if I can find some flow numbers on them. thanks
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old May 31st, 15, 04:39 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

I run the large tube dynatechs on my 408sbc with AFR 195s and they fit like a glove on my 1969. Like you, I searched high and low for answers on fitment and raised exhaust ports, etc but ultimately bit the bullet; and I am very happy that I did! No clearance issues whatsoever with the steering box. Look no further than AFR imho.

'69 - 408sbc: [email protected]
10.7:1, 65cc AFR 195 Eliminators, Comp XR288HR, RPM Air-Gap, 950 Street HP, Dynatech 1-3/4 Stepped Headers, 3" Magnaflow X-pipe Sys, MSD Dig 6AL, 200-4R (2800 stall), 8.5 10bolt 4.10 eaton 30spl posi /Cal-Tracs
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old May 31st, 15, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Larry

Do you remember the part number for your headers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode