Finally got a chance to work on the recently aquired 3/4 ton today. This is the one with the 305/700r4/3.23 combo (strange IMO). Anyway, the feedback q-jet was shot, the exhaust system was shot, and the valve covers leaked horribly. I gutted it down to the long block today, and removed all the smog stuff and about 5 miles of vacuum lines. I then bolted up an old weiand 8004 intake I had laying around, plus a set of headers, and will be installing my old 600 edelbrock carb. All this is temporary until I take delivery of my buddys van I bought (400sbc/th400). Anyway, now for the questions...
1) The stock 305 distributor that I thought wasn't computer controlled apparently is. It is a vac advance big cap HEI but on the backside of the housing are 4 wires that connect into a bigger harness on the passenger side firewall. The mechanical advance is frozen solid at about mid advance. If I can get the advance unstuck, will this distributor function "normally" disconnected from the computer? If not, I have another spare HEI laying around that also has its advance froze up. What is the best way to free them up and keep them from sticking again?
2) On a '86 truck, what controls the convertor lock up function? Will I need to get an aftermarket lockup kit, or is there another way?
3) How do I adjust the TV cable for the 700r4? I've got an edelbrock bracket for hooking up the TV cable, but there is about a mile of adjustment in this bracket.
4) Will a recently rebuilt (stock spec) 700r4 live behind a mild 400sbc? Mild as in stock longblock, with headers, intake, and a mild cam?
5) What rearend is in this truck? It is a 14 bolt, but I have found there are 2 versions...a 9.5" and a 10.5". I assume it is the smaller one but how do I tell for sure? What is a decent posi unit for these rear ends that doesn't cost a fortune?
I expect to have this thing up and running tomorrow (minus an exhaust system) so any help would be appreciated.
"This is not a cheerocracy...I make the cheercisions around here"