Good oil in canada - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 15, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Darren

Good oil in canada

I have a 572 bbc that requires a zddp rating of 1400ppm of zinc or my warentee is void. Does anyone know of a brand sold in CANADA the meets or exceeds that amount? Again lookin for an oil with 1400 ppm of zinc that i can roll downtown and buy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 15, 06:48 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Re: Good oil in canada

Did you look at Royal Purple? I think the ZDDP is between 1500 to 1800 ppm. Canadian Tire sells it and I have seen it on sale a few times.

Z282NV

1969 Camaro
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 15, 07:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Send a message via MSN to Mike_M

I'm not sure about the ZDDP levels in the regular Royal Purple oil, but Royal Purple HPS is apparently formulated for vehicles needing higher levels of ZDDP, and is what I have been using in my camaro for the past couple of years: http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/p...hps-motor-oil/

I buy it locally at Performance Improvements in Barrie, although it might be harder to come by up your way. Another option is Amsoil Z-Rod, which is what I used before, and has good ZDDP levels as well.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...tic-motor-oil/

The only issue I had with Amsoil is their marketing strategy, I found it weird to have to buy it out of the trunk of some guy's car in a parking lot... and the guy I used to buy it from disappeared, so I switched to the Royal Purple. If you have a supplier of Amsoil locally it should be pretty easy to get.

Mike...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 15, 08:01 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

You can buy the HPS Royal Purple on Amazon.ca for $11 a quart.

Z282NV

1969 Camaro
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 15, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Darren

Thanks guys. I have the idiots at canadian tire looking into the hps. Yes they do sell royal purple but anything out of the normal with them throws them for a loop...lol
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 15, 10:11 PM
Senior Tech
mike

ZDo they sell Valvoline VR1 racing oil in Canada, I use that in my big block as per builder.
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 15, 10:59 PM
Senior Tech
Anne

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblockragtop View Post
ZDo they sell Valvoline VR1 racing oil in Canada, I use that in my big block as per builder.
I use Valvoline VR-1 racing synthetic 10W-30.

It has a good amount of zddp and came in 4th in this test :

http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35836

It's less than $10 quart at Autozone.

Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
Ronald Reagan
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 15, 05:25 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

I use Valvoline VR1 conventional 10w30 and have been very pleased with it. I just learned yesterday that NAPA has it on sale until the end of June which means it's time to stock up on some more

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 15, 06:30 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

Joe Gibbs oil http://www.drivenracingoil.com/
Performance Improvements carries it http://performanceimprovements.com/search?q=driven

Mark 70 Z28 M22 3.73 Z21 Z87 - Lunati 20120121 Roller Cam

post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 15, 07:04 AM
Retired
Jim

Mike and others, AMSOIL is available from many retail locations in Canada and USA as well, its not sold out of the back of trucks but from reputable dealers that even can deliver to you if they are near you. Go to www.AMSOIL.com and use their 'locator' button. Canada Tire used to handle AMSOIL until last year when CT got greedy and lost the AMSOIL product line.

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 15, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Darren

Wow allot of conflicting data out there and nost of the missleading info doesnt seem to be coming from individual opinion differences, but from the manufacturers. And the fact that i live so far north that "performance oils dont seem to be a priority. Iv got the guys at canadian tire checking if they can bring the "HPS" line of Royal Purple. So far all they can get is the sm stuff. Not holding my breath. I do however refuse to resort to having to by oil from the sates....makes for a VERY expensive oil change.
post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 15, 12:46 AM
Senior Tech
Anne

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevysrule454 View Post
Wow allot of conflicting data out there and nost of the missleading info doesnt seem to be coming from individual opinion differences, but from the manufacturers. And the fact that i live so far north that "performance oils dont seem to be a priority. Iv got the guys at canadian tire checking if they can bring the "HPS" line of Royal Purple. So far all they can get is the sm stuff. Not holding my breath. I do however refuse to resort to having to by oil from the sates....makes for a VERY expensive oil change.
There are NAPA dealers where you are and they carry Valvoline VR-1 racing oil.

It has plenty of zddp and is not expensive.

Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
Ronald Reagan
post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 15, 06:22 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

I've also used Val VR1 from NAPA. I believe your looking for conventional oil, right?

Mark 70 Z28 M22 3.73 Z21 Z87 - Lunati 20120121 Roller Cam

post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 15, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Darren

From what im told from my engine builder that if i use vr1 my warrenty is void. They claim 14ppm is the least they can allow. Apparently (and this is debatable) vr1 only has 12ppm. I can get it at Walmart here but if warenty is up for grabs. ..id rather not use it. If i had access to a additive locally i would use vr1 and straight from the horses mouth....CM engine (Carolina machine engine) says thats acceptable, but so far i cant find anyone that sells one here. Man i hate livin here....lol
post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 15, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Darren

Near the beginning of this post there was a link given to a list of oils tested from 1 to 10. And as my 14ppm made me have to only concider the top 4 only, my town sells none of them. Still waiting on Canadian tire to see wether or not they can bring me in the HPS line of Royal purple oils, so there is still a bit of hope.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode