454 trashed looking for rebuild advice - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 03, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Here is my dilema. I have severely limited funds. I have a unfortunate history with my 454 in my camaro. It is my own fault! I build "junk motors" that is all my budget allows. I have trashed my crank and a few rods. and scored a cylinder. I intend to hone the cylinder as best I can. I was hoping that someone could offer advice on how to reconstruct the lower end or even upgrade on the cheap. I dont think I can spend more than 2-3 hundred total. Am I nuts or...

67 Blown Alcohol Camaro "The Combat Rat" 8-71 and E-85/71 BB SS Chevelle "cheap street" (clone) 12.871 @ 107.59 w/1.915 60' and spinning /2002 35th anniv SS Z28 conv./74 454 El Camino .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 03, 07:14 AM
Senior Tech

Save your 300 bucks and build the mill right,
By spending 300 bucks now and 300 bucks in 6 months again and again, will just add to the frustration.
Park the ride borrow the coin, build it right and enjoy a well built motor,
If can't find the money right now to build the 454, buy a crap 305 drop it in the camaro for the time being.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 03, 07:30 AM
Bill

Milan,
Rob is right. Go buy a cheap used engine and put in the car so you can drive. Then do your Rat when you have the funds to do it correctly. You would not beleive how many customers we have, especially dirt track guys, that will spend $1000 5 times a year to patch something, but will not spend $6000 up front to build something that will run several seasons if properly maintained. If you have the dicipline, have an engine built, or buy a crate motor and put it on a credit card. Pay a couple of hundred bucks a month and end up with a new engine that should last many years.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 03, 07:57 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

Trust me, avoid the credit card thing unless its just a few hundred or you REALLY need the car for transportation. I'm still paying for my unepected rebuild last summer

I honestly don't see how you could replace a crank and a couple rods for a couple hundred, even on the cheap. Unless you come across another used short block that is in running condition.

Maybe you could swap wrench time on someone else's ride for parts or a little cash. Maybe you could wear a T-shirt that says "will wrench for parts" j/k I know what its like . . .

E85 racer and E85 carb builder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

68 Camaro, E85 powered 427" small block. 9.96 @ 133 MPH, 1.319 sixty foot on motor. 5.92 eighth @ 116 with a 1.42 sixty breaking beams with back tire on the bottle
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 03, 09:09 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

I agree with everyone. Do it right, do it once.

68 Camaro, 555 big block, Doug Nash 5-speed, 3.54 gear.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 03, 04:45 PM

I never learned with my first 67 20yrs ago. I kept putting cheap stuff in it and it nickled and dimed me until I finally sold it off. [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]
Today I would have parked it and done it the right way if it took me a year. Oh, and if you are married your wife could always get a second job. haha j/k. Sorry no real good answer for ya man. Good luck
Scott
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 03, 12:56 PM
Senior Tech

Sell one of your other cars.
EVERY time I took a short cut it has cost me double in the long run. Cars are expensive, hot rods are more expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode