Knucklehead incident - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 15, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tony

Knucklehead incident

I took off my distributor, carb, intake manifold and valve covers. The plan was to replace the intake, check springs in distributor and repaint the valve covers while they were off.
Ok, so while everything is ready to be reinstalled I decide (this where trouble starts) to empty radiator fluid and add all new antifreeze. Thinking that it can't hold more than two gallons I close valve at bottom of radiator and start away on refiling the tank with antifreeze. After two gallons I still don't see the fluid reaching the radiator neck. Again, I keep filling it until I hear a something. I look up and antifreeze is pouring out of a head port into the engine valley/top and disappearing into a hole. I then yell some choice words and stop.
Now my question is.....where does this hole lead? It is at the firewall/drivers side of the motor in the corner of that motor valley. My guess is the oil pan but is there another route that leads too?
I picked up some oil and a new filter but waited to drain it until I get this question answered. I hope it didn't go somewhere that requires removing heads or something.

1969 Camaro SS350, original motor/12 bolt/interior and build sheet in Fathom Green.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 15, 02:20 PM
Banned
Chet

Re: Knucklehead incident

Quote:
Originally Posted by TClovis View Post
I took off my distributor, carb, intake manifold and valve covers. The plan was to replace the intake, check springs in distributor and repaint the valve covers while they were off.
Ok, so while everything is ready to be reinstalled I decide (this where trouble starts) to empty radiator fluid and add all new antifreeze. Thinking that it can't hold more than two gallons I close valve at bottom of radiator and start away on refiling the tank with antifreeze. After two gallons I still don't see the fluid reaching the radiator neck. Again, I keep filling it until I hear a something. I look up and antifreeze is pouring out of a head port into the engine valley/top and disappearing into a hole. I then yell some choice words and stop.
Now my question is.....where does this hole lead? It is at the firewall/drivers side of the motor in the corner of that motor valley. My guess is the oil pan but is there another route that leads too?
I picked up some oil and a new filter but waited to drain it until I get this question answered. I hope it didn't go somewhere that requires removing heads or something.
That is an oil return hole. Drain the oil pan. No ifs, ands, or buts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 15, 02:47 PM
Senior Tech
paul

Drain the pan now, let it sit with the plug out the bottom over night.

Then, fill with cheap-*** walmart oil of the correct grade and a new filter, don't drive it with the cheap oil but just let it idle and keep an eye on the temperature so you don't boil it up or anything.

Once its had a half hour or more of just sitting there let it cool for a bit and drain the oil again.

Refill with nice oil and drive on.

Keep an eye out for moisture making mayo in the top of the valve covers but I think after a flush and run you will be ok.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 15, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tony

Ok good. It scared the blank out of me when it happened. I'll take that plug out when I get home and drain it then. I can't wait to get the thing back together today.

1969 Camaro SS350, original motor/12 bolt/interior and build sheet in Fathom Green.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 15, 05:26 PM
Senior Tech
Anne

Quote:
Originally Posted by TClovis View Post
Ok good. It scared the blank out of me when it happened. I'll take that plug out when I get home and drain it then. I can't wait to get the thing back together today.
LOL, don't feel bad. I've added oil with the drain plug out.

Makes quite a mess on an asphalt driveway.

Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
Ronald Reagan
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 15, 06:09 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence454 View Post
LOL, don't feel bad. I've added oil with the drain plug out.

Makes quite a mess on an asphalt driveway.
I've done worse things!

...like catching a car on fire at the place I worked.

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't mess with Texas!
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 15, 06:37 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

Whew! From the title I thought you had an accident which ruined an old Harley!

Speaking of Harleys, I once got distracted working on my bike, just after I had merely put the oil dipstick into the hole so I wouldn't lose track of it and not taking the time to actually screw it into place. Cutting to the chase, I must have scorched the shifter forks for second gear or something, whenever the bike gets hot the tranny gets stuck in second.

Then there was the time I used cooking oil to try and loosen the baffle in an upswept four-into-one exhaust system. (obviously not a Harley)

In other words: Don't feel bad!

67 RS in Japan.

"You can only be young once, but you can be immature forever!"
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 15, 08:15 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Yeah we have all been on the bonehead express in the vip seat one time or another.

I'm a big fan of the oil rinse. As described drain replace filter, and fill with oil and stir a bit but not much just enough time to get everywhere and long enough to reach temp and burn off any water in the system. The dump and replace filter and add driving grade oil.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 15, 09:37 AM
Senior Tech
Al

The result of drinking too many PBRs while installing PBRs.

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 15, 09:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPOS View Post

I've hard of metallic brake pads, but that is going to the extreme.

Mike - '68 Camaro with lots of stuff done to it.

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 15, 10:35 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Good thread! We have to laugh at our own dumbassselfs sometimes. Here's my latest one.

I was recently cleaning out the garage and found half a gallon of blue windshield cleaner fluid. I decided to dump it in my wife's car. As soon as it went "glug" I realized it was used 90W. Now I had a windshield washer resovoir with 90W in it.

First I panicked...then I considered phoning a friend... then I tried to siphon it out. No luck. Then I finally decided to thin it out with a quart of mineral spirits and use the windshield washer pump to pump it out into a jug. Then I ran about 3 gallons of soapy hot water through it.

It seems to have worked.

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 15, 11:30 AM
Senior Tech
John

Dont feell bad. I forgot to put new oil filter on while doing oil change. 5 quarts of Mobil 1 dumped on driveway wondering why oil pressure isnt coming up. D'oh!
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 15, 12:36 PM
Senior Tech
paul

I built an engine, on the stand, all done and assembled I put it on the bench and put the flywheel, clutch and gearbox on.

Put it in the car and as I always do I wired the starter and left the spark plugs and rocker covers off, then filled with oil with a nice new filter.

Cranked it up to get oil pressure and do a check on circulation, make sure it was getting up to all the rocker studs.

This time no oil, anywhere. But a puddle on the floor.

Bung plug in, filter ok.

Rear seal failure ? Engine out again, gearbox split off and flywheel back off.

Ahhh, yes. Forgot to fit a rear seal because I built it on the stand and you cant see that bit when you have it on a stand.

Good job I built it with loads of assembly lube on everything.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 15, 09:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Darn good thing you didn't start it with antifreeze in the oil - it will eat your bearings up. You are probably OK because the oil will float on top of the antifreeze, which means the antifreeze should have been on the bottom of the pan. Still, you probably have a 5 quart pan, and 1 gallon = 4 quarts, meaning you may have had enough AF in there to get above the level of the crank. Go real easy on it until you are sure that all of the AF has been flushed out and burned off.

1967 RS/SS 350 Conv - triple black, 4sp, tach & gauges

1969 VN-built RS/SS 396 Conv - Garnet Red/Black, 4-sp, tach & gauges
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 15, 01:37 PM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPOS View Post

I'm afraid I have been here too AL, sober mind you, just did it in the dark.

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode