GM offers a GRAPHITE block - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 04, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

just got the 2004 GMPP catalog, and on page 111 they have a new DRCE engine block- made out of "compacted graphite". part number 25534406.
sure, it's made for 500 inch NHRA Pro Stockers, but when is this gonna trickle down to the small blocks? i think this is as close as we'll see to an actual carbon fiber engine block.
just think- and engine block capable of holding 2000 hp made out of pencil lead..

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 04, 06:45 PM

Smile

I don't know if it will turn up by using a web search but years ago I read an article about a plastic Indy type proto-type motor.

It was called a "Poly-Motor" or Poli-Motor or something like that.

It had, (if I remember right), plastic/carbon fiber block, a carbon fiber crank, c/f rods and maybe even ceramic valves and piston tops and ceramic valve springs and I THINK it ran without oil??

I never did hear how it finally turned out but just maybe the R&D on it ended up in this block now offered by GMPP???

pdq67

PS., totally off the subject unless it is lightweight block construction is that the late '40's Crosley Hot Shot SOHC motors were actually brazed together sheetmetal and sleeves and was a very light little gear drive SOHC motor.

Here is something on it.

"The most revolutionary feature, though, was the method of block construction. First of all, this was in unit with the cylinder head and detachable from the crankcase. Secondly, and more important, instead of being cast as all other engine blocks were and are, it was built up from an assembly of steel tubing and stampings. These parts were assembled in a jig, then copper brazed together at high temperatures, which also served to heat treat the cylinder walls and valve seats to bring them up to a high degree of hardness. Water jackets and passages were lined with a plastic material for anti-rust purposes, and all outside parts had some kind of stiffening ribs or fins cast into them for high rigidity. Machining operations consisted of trueing the bottom of the block where it meets the crankcase, boring the camshaft bearings and boring and honing of cylinder walls and cam follower guides. The block was bolted to the aluminium crankcase, with the hold-down bolts also serving as bolts for the main bearing caps.
The result of all this innovation was a 44-cu.in. engine that weighed only 59 lbs. without accessories. It put out 26 hp at 5200 rpm, and had a compression ratio of 7.5:1. The copper brazing process gave it its unusual name, COBRA."

From;
http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/g...96/crosley.htm

Interesting reading to say the least even if corrosion finally ruined the little motors before they went to cast-iron!!

More reading at;
http://www.ggw.org/~cac/EngineTree/C...ng_Tree-2.html

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 04, 10:13 AM
Team Member
John

....And it's on sale now, unmachined, for only $6,300

http://www.gmpartsdepot.com/store/pr...roduct_ID=1853

[img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

JohnZ
CRG

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 04, 01:46 PM

Question

Is this what the compacted graphite cast-iron is;

http://www.castingsource.com/tech_art_graphite.asp

or is it iso-statically pressed graphite that is high fired to create some sort of graphite/ceramic material??

If it is, it's alotta money for some new grade of cast-iron, imho!!

Why don't they just make the block out of ductile-iron or even maleable-iron instead?? I'm not a cast-iron materials guy so am just asking??

pdq67

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 04, 01:54 PM
Senior Tech
Eric

and you'd think for that price they would at least finish hone it and bore for lifters . . .

E85 racer and E85 carb builder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

68 Camaro, E85 powered 427" small block. 9.96 @ 133 MPH, 1.319 sixty foot on motor. 5.92 eighth @ 116 with a 1.42 sixty breaking beams with back tire on the bottle
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 04, 05:37 AM
Senior Tech
John

how much does she weigh?

John

- '68 Chevy Camaro (sort of done, but always subject to improvement)
- '63 Pontiac Tempest (work in progress)
- '72 Datsun 240-Z (back-burner for now)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode