which rotating assembly? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 05, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

You guys convinced to to go with a 454 over a 427, but many recommended a 496. I am shooting for 550-600 HP and torque on 93 octane. I have a few questions. say I make 550HP how much more streetable is a 496 going to be over a 454(probably 468)? Also how much easier is it going to be to reach my goal with a 496 over a 468? I plan on running a set of 0781 or 049 heads.

If you guys think I should run the 468, will balance and reconditioned stock rods and crank be reliable with my power goals?

If you think I should go with a 496 I found two rotating assemblies on ebay. Which would you choose?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...sPageName=WDVW

or
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...PageName=WDVW.

My goal in all of this is to reach my power goals, do it as cheap as possible, but I want it to be reliable and not pushing the limits of breaking.

Any advice is welcome.

thanks
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 05, 02:14 PM
Senior Tech
Eric

I think a similar comparison would be a 355 vs a 383. A 496 will make similar HP numbers with similar parts but that power will be at a lower more usable RPM range. The 496 should blow the doors off a 454 in the low end TQ department

E85 racer and E85 carb builder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

68 Camaro, E85 powered 427" small block. 9.96 @ 133 MPH, 1.319 sixty foot on motor. 5.92 eighth @ 116 with a 1.42 sixty breaking beams with back tire on the bottle
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 05, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. Someone on another board said that both of those rotating assemblies are made over in China or somwhere over seas and they probably are not that good of quality. This confuses me because I thought that Eagle was supposed to make good parts. Can someone recommend a setup for me. Could I use a 496 crank with stock rods or should I used better rods for my goal?

thanks
Tom

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 05, 04:06 AM
Senior Tech

Tom,

I'd go for the kit in the first link since it is internally balanced and comes balanced. I had a friend buy a cheaper externally balanced cast crank kit and it was going to cost big $$ to get it balanced due to the amount of heavy metal it was going to take to balance the assy. He ended up upgrading and bought an internally balance forged crank setup.

You may want to consider some other sources like Summit racing or Flatlander Racing. Summit has a similar kit for the same $ and an upgrade kit with a Scat crank and Manley rods for about $2K. Flatlander has several mix and match rotating assy combos for various $. With either of these companies you know who your dealing with.

You can use stock rods but the 6.385 rods are better to control piston speed. I have a build up in one of my books where John Lingenfelter built one with stock rods (non-dot, upgraded bolts) and offset ground a GM crank core. Everyone I've talked to says go with the longer rods. I've also heard that eagle cranks are made in China and inspected here. I've heard the same on Scat. At Flatlander the Callies cranks are US made.

Summit racing

Flatlander Racing

Just my .02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode