Cowl induction with HEI - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 04, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Cisco

Has anyone tried to fit a large cap HEI with cowl induction? My air filter housing hits the cap. My choices are a 1" carb spacer, trimming the air filter housing, buying a new distributer. Will a small type MSD HEI fit without any spacers or trimming the housing? Any comments are welcome.

1969 Convertible ZZ4/350 Hotchkis TVS West Coast Diff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 04, 08:41 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Yep! Been there. The full size HEI won't work with the stock cowl induction air cleaner. You'll have to get a distributor that is the same size and configuration as the stock one. A carb spacer will cause the air cleaner to contact the hood. I just run a K&N 14" X 5" with a K&N top. It works great with my Pro Billet MSD HEI.
Jim
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 04, 08:58 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike, 69's rule

I have a large GM HEI with a cowl aircleaner, Performer intake and an Edlebrock 600 carb. Had to use a 1 in. spacer for clearance of the HEI and fuel line, it's tight but does fit... Rubber seal works fine with the cowl hood... (I guess it depends on your intake)...Mike [img]smile.gif[/img] Check my sig for motor pictures of aircleaner, etc.

(STAY THIRSTY, MY FRIENDS).

1969 Camaro
1990 IROCZ28 convertible (SOLD)
2004 Silverado Z71 4x4
2008 Pontiac G8 GT
GGSMU member

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 04, 05:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

I have to agree with Zuma. I was running the cowl induction aircleaner with the large cap HEI at one time as well. I had a Performer RPM intake and a Holley. I believe I was also using a 1-inch spacer.

Paul
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 04, 03:58 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Maybe the cowl air cleaner from an other than Z/28 application will work with a spacer. I know mine (GMPP intake same dimentions as a stock intake) won't even come close.
Jim
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 05, 01:20 PM

Paul1969, where did your cowl cleaner come from? If the GMPP one wont work, I want to get one that works the "first" time. Thanks.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 13, 08:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mark

Re: Cowl induction with HEI

This is an old thread, but need an answer to the origin of the cowl aircleaner that will work with HEI. I have a Holley Contender (Z-28 type) hi rise with a Holley 650 DP. Anyone have any current info, and/or pictures of a "reformed" aircleaner to make it work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode