'69 Z28 Tuning Issues - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 04, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Hello,

just finished my '69 Z28 - stock DZ302 w/Holley DZ Carb. Installed an MSD ready to run distributor, AC Delco plugs, gapped at .35. Timing is set at 8% TDC. Factory intake, Hooker Headers.

Car idles fine but when I "stomp" on the gas, it backfires through the carb. I can gradually up the gas and it runs great but tends to stumble, hesitate and backfire at times when I punch the gas. Any thoughts? Runs great at cruising speeds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 04, 06:44 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

It is running lean when you punch it. That is what causes the backfire. Check the accelerator pump arm adjustment. There must not be any looseness at idle. The arm must move as soon as the trottle is cracked. If you need instructions on the proper setting, just ask.

-Mark.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 04, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Mark,

if you can, please send me the instructions. Someone suggested I change the weights in the distributor. Thanks

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 04, 01:12 PM
Senior Tech
Tski

Give it some more timing...like 15 initial and 35 total. Be careful to listen for detonation, but mine did the same thing. Messed with the carb for a while and a buddy at my work told me to double check my timing. Sure enoungh it was a 8 initial. Bumper her up and she ran great. Quick check before working on the carb....

Craig

<a href="
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
target="_blank">http://www.wideopenwest.com/~tski/camaros.html</a>
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 04, 05:45 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Danny,
The first thing to check before you do anything to a carb is the float settings. The sight hole should have fuel just barely trickling out at idle if it is set right. Get this right and tune from there.

You need to set the curb idle as this will have an effect on off-idle transition. Bad idle settings can cause a lean stumble as you take off. Screw them in very lightly then back out 1.5 turns. Go in or out to get the best idle. Use a vacuum gauge to make it a little easier if you need it. Set the RPM to the speed you need and recheck the mixture screws again until you have this where you want it.

The accelerator pump adjustment is the bolt with the spring that is on the accelerator pump arm. You want to put a .015" feeler gauge between the pump arm and the pump lever and take it to wide open throttle. This will verify the .015" minimum clearance at WOT. You do not want it to bottom out or pinch the feeler when you floor it. Take the feeler gauge out and let the throttle return then verify that there is absolutlely zero slack between the pump arm and the pump lever while you are at idle. You need zero slack at idle and minimum .015" additional travel available at wide open throttle.

Once this has been set right you can check other things. 90% of the time, the first stuff above was the problem. If this did not fix it, you may need to increase the primary jet size. Check to see what jets you have there now. I ran a stock 302 with big tube Hookers and needed to jet up. I run cast iron manifolds now and have it jetted back down a bit. I need to do some more tuning some day but it runs very well now so the Camaro will have to wait for now. I have another car I am doing right now that takes up my time. Maybe a wideband O2 sensor will be in my christmas stocking.

-Mark.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 04, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

All - thanks again for all your help! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode