Questions about painted Aluminum intake manifolds... - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 03, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Hey all,

I was just wondering if any of you that have painted your aluminum intakes have found it easier to keep them looking clean. Have you had problems with the paint flaking off due to heat?

I'm kinda drawn to the idea of a stealthy "stock" look that a painted Alum. performance intake would provide.

Thanks,
Mark P.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 03, 12:51 PM

I'm sure that many people will disagree with me, but I don't think that an aluminum intake can be painted succesfully. Aluminum paint tends to yellow and flake as fuel spills on it. Even a powder coat will stain over a period of time. I used the mag cleaner method combined with a small hand held wire brush (the kind you see at swap meets that look like toothbrushes). Bead blasting or sugarsand blasting is a good option depending on your means.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 03, 12:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Check out this post - page down to Tire Smoke's reply.
https://www.camaros.net/forum/ultimat...c;f=4;t=007319

I routinely paint Alum. intakes for a stock type look.
I bead blast them to assure they are clean. Use Heat Riser Blocking type gaskets to block off the heat from manifold and prevent the discoloration for the most part. I use good quality high heat engine paints and they have held up quite well.
I got some POR engine paint - but haven't started the engine yet so can't say how it will perform on the aluminum parts yet, but it has worked well on everything else.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 03, 02:59 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

I have used a light dusting of aluminum paint on intakes before. No issues and it helps to seal the pores so the stains come off better. Joe Harrison has his aluminum intake painted orange I think. Maybe he will chime in.

-Mark.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 03, 04:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

Thumbs up

Maybe I'm lucky, but I have my Performer RPM painted orange and cleaning it is a breeze. Just a chip of paint went off, when correcting an oil leak from a manifold bolt.

"Our affair with Camaros is a life sentence without the possibility of parole".
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 03, 04:53 PM

Granny, I'll bring home my camara from work tomorrow and e-mail you some pictures of my manifold. Mine does have one very small gas stain on it but it is in a place that you can hardly see. If it ever gets worse for the price of a can of spray paint it's fixed. (I have the GM reusable intake gaskets) [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Dan.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 03, 08:38 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

i've got two aluminum intakes that i painted orange, and the first one is perfect, but the one thats on the car now has a couple of little stains, from getting carb cleaner on it. both have seen gas spilled on them from jet changes, and the gas never phased the paint. but a couple of big drops of carb cleaner on the one on there now messed up the paint a bit, but it still actually looks good. i think carb cleaner is just particularly nasty. i think they clean up way better as well, but i did it purely for the stealth look of the factory orange paint. all i did was cleaned them real well, with brakleen, then sprayed a pre paint cleaner on them. after that just a couple coats of duplicolor chevy orange and all is good. i think the main issue is clean clean clean, as with any paint. hope that helps

Sean

1968 rs with an old school 354" SB2.2 pump gas motor.

Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 03, 03:31 AM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Angry

I always paint mine. I had the one I have now (Performer RPM)in it's Natural State (Get it Mark )for about 6 months then I painted it. All I did was spray some brake cleaner on it washed it off and then gave the entire engine a plasticote rebuild. I drive my Camaro everyday and the manifold still looks great.It's been painted orange for over two years now, or about 30,000 miles.

Notice above I said brake cleaner, carb cleaner leaves a residue. Also notice I said Plasitcote for the paint. This paint is tuff stuff and works great. I have even used the engine paint clear over the paint for a deeper look to the paint. If painting I would use plasticote paint as I think it holds up better than any of the other paints. I have used most all of them over the years and have had the best luck with it.

[img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]
Joe Harrison

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 03, 04:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone for thier input. Sounds like most of you have had good luck painting your Alum. intakes as long as they are very clean from the start.

Guess I'm not the only one who likes the idea of a stealthy "stock" look....If engines were fish, I want mine to look kinda like a Perch, but have a personality more like a Pirahnah! He! He!

BTW, Tire Smoke 69, I'm looking foward to seeing a pic of your intake manifold.

Mark P.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 03, 04:48 AM

I was under the impression that you were going to paint your intake manifold silver to give it the factory aluminum look. Now that I realise that you are going to go Chevy Orange, I agree with the others. A good coat of engine enamal will do the trick.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 03, 05:06 AM Thread Starter

Hey Guys,

While we are talking about painting intakes, have any of you ever painted the underside of your intake manifolds?

It seems like I remember reading an article one time about how painting the underside of the intake is supposed to keep the intake mixture charge cooler by not letting as much engine oil cling to the underside of the intake,thereby reducing the heat transfer. I know that I have seen heat shields on the underside of factory cast iron mainfolds. So I figure that there must be something to it...

Any truth to that idea?

Thanks,
Mark P.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 03, 05:54 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by stingr69:
I have used a light dusting of aluminum paint on intakes before. No issues and it helps to seal the pores so the stains come off better.
-Mark.
Mark's tip is one I've learned over the years and have had no issues with what so ever!!

If the manifold is clean and grease free, rattle can engine paint should stick well and if you don't let fuel or antifreeze sit too long it shouldn't be a problem. I've only seen yellowing with clear over alum...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 03, 06:05 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Quote:
Originally posted by Granny's 69:
Hey Guys,

While we are talking about painting intakes, have any of you ever painted the underside of your intake manifolds?

It seems like I remember reading an article one time about how painting the underside of the intake is supposed to keep the intake mixture charge cooler by not letting as much engine oil cling to the underside of the intake,thereby reducing the heat transfer. I know that I have seen heat shields on the underside of factory cast iron mainfolds. So I figure that there must be something to it...

Any truth to that idea?

Thanks,
Mark P.
Yep - it's not that uncommon to see the bottom of a performance engine manifold painted with Gyptalite or epoxys to seal the manifold, speed oil run-off and provide some insulating value.
Aluminum and iron maifolds and other parts will also "sweat" fine grains of casting material left in pores into an engine - the sealing helps prevent $hit this from getting into oil.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 03, 02:13 PM

Granny, you've got mail [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 03, 11:31 PM
Senior Tech
Chuck

has anyone used the clear coat that por-15 makes. i have it on my intake and it is beautiful in my opinion. almost looks like a ceramic coat only not as dull. brushes on and dries in about a day. washes clean real easily. been on my car for a year and does not yellow. and best of all the can is somewhere around 25-30 for a quart. this will do three of four intakes.

chuck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode