69 z28 original rebuilt holley carb problem - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 15, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
Chris

69 z28 original rebuilt holley carb problem

Any idea what would cause my rebuilt carb to flood so bad
just a few seconds after starting the car. With the air cleaner off it look like a fountain! It does this almost every time I start the car. Other times it runs great. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 15, 05:01 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Re: 69 z28 original rebuilt holley carb problem

What kind of fuel pump are you using? What is your fuel pressure? Have you adjusted the float levels on the carb? Give us a little info on your setup and what you've done so far.

Experience...... It's what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 15, 05:06 AM
Tom

I had the same thing happen on a brand new edelbrock carb. Turned out to be a bad float.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 15, 05:12 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Check the floats as Brian suggested. The fuel level should be just below the level of the sight plug with the car sitting on level ground. If that checks out, check the needle and seat assembly on both bowls. One spec of dirt will keep the needle from seating and will flood the carburetor. I don't know what fuel pump you are using, but carbureted engines should be right around 6 psi. Too much fuel pressure can cause the problem that you are experiencing. These are all easy things to check. Let us know what you find.

1969 SS Garnet Red X55 350 Factory 4 speed
12 Bolt 3.55 Posi
461 BBC TKO600
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 15, 05:46 AM
Senior Tech
Jess

X2 on the floats. Make sure your cylinders arent flooded and has hydrolocked.

Jess67
67 Camaro Blue 427, 4-speed, 12 bolt
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 Camaro 350, 200-4R, PS, AC, PB, IN PARTS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 15, 03:50 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

One of the most common issues after a rebuild or any messing with fuel lines or tank... espec if they have been laying around for a while
Dried crap flakes off the inside of pipes, tanks.. and stuff from the tank, tiny bit of dried seal from inside the pump breaks off... list goes on.

It is so common, expect it to happen some time , some times 2 or 3 times in the 1st 500 miles
If the stuff gets into jets etc.... side of the road .. remove air filter, engine running , hand over the carb, keep rpms up, dont let stall.. when huge vaccuum pulled suddenly release your hand 2 to 5 times .....9 out of 10 times problem 'fixed'

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 15, 04:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Den

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
One of the most common issues after a rebuild or any messing with fuel lines or tank... espec if they have been laying around for a while
Dried crap flakes off the inside of pipes, tanks.. and stuff from the tank, tiny bit of dried seal from inside the pump breaks off... list goes on.

It is so common, expect it to happen some time , some times 2 or 3 times in the 1st 500 miles
If the stuff gets into jets etc.... side of the road .. remove air filter, engine running , hand over the carb, keep rpms up, dont let stall.. when huge vaccuum pulled suddenly release your hand 2 to 5 times .....9 out of 10 times problem 'fixed'
They did that on an episode of road kill. It was the episode where they battled a surburan vs a bronco vs a toyota. It actually worked.

1969 Camaro 350, Trickflow heads, ST-10 4spd, Hotchkis suspension, Baer SS brake kit, moser 12bolt
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 15, 04:24 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

What is road kill?
Dont think we get that in this country....
Road kill here is a possum or rabbit, stoat or cat run over by a vechile ... usually at night.
All far game, they are serious pests here to our native environment.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 15, 08:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

Quote:
What is road kill?
Dont think we get that in this country....
Road kill here is a possum or rabbit, stoat or cat run over by a vechile ... usually at night.
All far game, they are serious pests here to our native environment.
In some parts of Texas, Louisiana, and a few others it's called Dinner.

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
The older I get the faster I was.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 15, 12:59 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

I'll ditto on the floats. When I rebuilt the carb and replaced the float valves I did not find a matching number between the parts I was taking out and the parts in the kit, so I picked what looked like a match. I picked wrong and got the same result you had. I then did the right thing and called Holley where I learned which float valves to use from the kit. Popped in the new valves and have had no problem since.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 15, 02:37 PM
Senior Tech
Eric

Intermittent issues as you're describing are typically caused by the needle & seat sticking.

What kind of kit did you use? If it doesn't have original Holley style needle & seats, that may be your problem.

Carburetor Rebuild & Restoration
Engine & Driveline Parts & Services

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 15, 03:49 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Clark View Post
Any idea what would cause my rebuilt carb to flood so bad
just a few seconds after starting the car. With the air cleaner off it look like a fountain! It does this almost every time I start the car. Other times it runs great. Any ideas?
Yes the floats stick at the bottom
Could be binding.

71 Camaro 355 NA
11.1650 @ 119.30
1.5028 60'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode