four bolt main 350 - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 03, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

This is going to be the first engine I have ever rebuilt. The engine is in an existing car but I was wondering if there is any way of determining if it is a 4 bolt main without removing the auto trans from it? Probably a stupid question but this is my first rebuild. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 03, 04:01 AM
Senior Tech

Angry

Just pull the oil pan off and look.

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM ...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
Semper Fi! L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft, B Co 3rd AT's, Khe Sanh Combat Base, February, 1968
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 03, 06:14 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

Really no way to tell unless the engine is sitting in its original application. Even then, it could still be difficult without cracking it open.

I wouldn't worry about trying to find a four bolt block anyway. The majority of the small blocks out there are 2 bolt and they will work just fine in most performance applications.

1969 Camaro - Intense Blue Pearlcoat/white (Baldwin-Motion paint scheme), stock 6.2 liter L92 with VVT, LS3 intake, Doug's Headers; Tremec TKO, 3.73 12-bolt posi.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 03, 10:28 AM

You could pull the oil pan off or you could run the numbers that are stamped on it. These numbers should be close to the carb or cylinder head. this number is really close to the number plating on the carb, intake, and or cylyinder head. if you don't feel like sifting through these numbers, just run the number of the car. This number is either plated on the cowl lid or on the driver side of the dash.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 03, 10:36 AM
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

The only reasons I would care if it is a 2 or 4 bolt main is:
1. The sales guy is charging more because he SAYS it's a 4 bolt;
2. I was running a real high HP setup and didn't want to get splayed caps;
3. I was buying a 400 block.

My .02...

Matt Jones
Lead Mechanical Engineer
Art Morrison Ent. Inc.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 03, 03:23 PM

check the casting numbers by the engine mount on the block and refer to an interchange or I.D. manual. Also get the numbers off the stamping pad behind the alternator. Between the two, you should be able to ID the thing as 2/4 bolt as well as original application if not original to the car. If you can't get the book from the library or on the shelf at the parts store, check the net or post them here.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 03, 08:58 PM
Senior Tech

The casting number back on the tranny bellhousing area don't mean squat when it comes to the number of main bolts. Either does any number cast into the side of the block. The numbers off by the alternator mounting pad MAY help. Your best bet is to find a engine from a pre-78 pickup or any engine from a 3/4 ton or bigger truck or van. I just recently went thru 8 engines at a salvage yard and without knowing what they came out of, you really can't tell without yanking the pan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode