alternator bracket - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 03, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

if i have headers on my small block, will the origianl lower bracket work or is there a different bracket for a car with headers?
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 03, 03:36 PM
Senior Tech

What year car. There is a really good GM bracket to use on a 67 with short water pump if you have heads with mounting holes. It really depends on if you have a short water pump or long one.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 03, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

it is a 68 327. i dont believe the head has a bolt hole for the bracket. i think i have the short water pump. hope this helps you help me.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 03, 07:07 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Angry

There are 2 brackets needed and are available from many header mfgs. etc. I say two, because you need the one that bolts with the header to an exhaust port, and the one that attaches to your alternator and bolts to it. You may not need this one if you have your original. They are available in chrome if needed, or wanted here.

http://hotrodchrome.com/alternatorbrackets.html

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 03, 05:03 AM Thread Starter

I have the original but the holes dont line up.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 03, 09:45 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile

Are you using BOTH brackets ? The original would only replace the 2nd one. See link.

http://hotrodchrome.com/alternatorbrackets.html

Part # 3071 bolts to head, by using front two bolts of the header.

Part # 3027 bolts to this bracket(3071) and to the alternator. I believe you can use the original instead of this, but you will still need to buy the one like # 3071.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 03, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

i am still confused. what do you mean by two brackets. i have the upper one which is a big curved arm thing and the lower one that is what is shown in the official camaro assembly book. from what i can tell, the lower one bolts right above the exhaust manifold but i dont have any holes for it to bolt on with. maybe this helps you understand my problem better.
thanks
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 03, 04:32 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Red face

I'm sorry... it's really quite simple. You use your original TOP bracket, and the original lower bracket bolts to the NEW lower bracket which bolts to the front header tube to the exhaust port on the head. I'll try to find a pic for you. Anyone out there have a picture ?

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 03, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

ok, i get it now. i use my original bracket and mount it to the new one. thanks alot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode