Motor mount bolts. Hard to line up and install. - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 02, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I need some advice please.

I am putting my motor/trans combo back into my 69. The car had been PowerGlide equipped which I swapped to a Muncie-20 that I recently rebuilt. During this process I pulled the entire front end off of the car and replaced the heater blower, repaired/replaced the sub frame bushings and repainted/detailed the firewall and sub frame. Iíve also replaced the master cylinder, brake lines and wiring.

I picked up new GM motor mounts and installed them onto the motor. One of the old ones was cracked. In order to get the motor mount bolts through the holes I had to loosen all the bolts on both sides of he cross member to frame mounts and even with that I still had to beat the second motor mount bolt through with a hammer. Iíve yet to try and tighten the six bolts on the cross member but can tell that the rubber in the mount will be under quite a bit of tension once they are all drawn up snug. Is this normal or should I have approached this in a different manner.

Thanks for any advice!

[This message has been edited by GDV350SS (edited 08-31-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 02, 05:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

I believe the small blocks had a couple of different mounts, one for the 350 (and maybe the 302's) and the 307 mount which is different. It's possible that your mounts aren't correct.

You shouldn't have to beat them and loosen the frame to stand bolts to get them in. I'd take a hard look at the mounts and compare them to another set.

Jody

------------------
MY CAMARO
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 02, 05:28 PM
David Pozzi

Check my suspension page, there is motor mount info in the Engine section.

Compare your old mounts to the new ones. There are two heights of frame brackets, and two thickness of engine mounts.

Low perf engines in 69 used thin motor mounts, and taller frame mounts than the high perf engines like the 350 and 302.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 original owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 02, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks guys!

I'm heading over to the garage now and will take along the info provided and see if I can figure this out.

Note to David: Your website is terrific!! What a great resource!! Also, I tried to sign the guest book on your site but was not able to access the page. I kept receiving an error message on that link.

Note to Camcojb: What a great looking 69!! The rest of your stable of steeds are also unbeleivable!! If you find that you need some extra room to store any of them I'm offering a warm, dry, lovely space or two next to my 69 back here in good old PA Dutch country, home of the Amish

Doug

[This message has been edited by GDV350SS (edited 09-01-2002).]
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 02, 09:54 AM
David Pozzi

My web counters and guest page are provided by "Beeseen" They don't seem to be "up" anymore?
Don't know what is going on with them!
Thanks, David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 original owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 02, 01:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

When I replaced my motor mounts, the holes weren't cleanly lined up. I had to take my die grinder and oval them. I found this out because I was having trouble, also, getting the bolt in.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips ( yet ).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode