speedo drive for six speed - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 00, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Anybody have a suggestion how I can drive the original speedometer with a six speed trans in my 67 convertible?

------------------
Mark Perkins
ASE Master Auto/Truck
67 RS Convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 00, 09:56 AM

Jags That Run can modify your tail shaft housing to accept the stock speedo cable. Expensive work, I think they want around $300 to do it!

Joseph
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 00, 02:42 PM
Senior Tech

There is also a company that makes a device called the cable X connection (or connector)
this takes a digital signal and converts it to drive your original speedometer... I think you can do a search of the internet and find more information. Or you might be able to a search on this site. Are you wanting to keep the original speedo? If you are not concerned about originality, you can always go with an Auto meter electronic speedo that will only set you back about $187.. A little cheaper compared to the alternatives: JTR Conversion $295.00 Cable X connector $300..

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 00, 05:13 PM

If you want to do it once and not have to worry about it, get the jags that run modified tailhousing. It works good and you don't have to worry about it failing. I bought one of the conversion boxes and it is a pain in the butt. Now i have the modified tailhousing.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 00, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

For whatever reason I think I want to keep the original speedo. I dont know If an aftermarket speedo would be out of place in what (I Hope) will be an original appearing dash. Then again, if I could figure out how to install an aftermarket speedo and guages that would probably be OK too.

------------------
Mark Perkins
ASE Master Auto/Truck
67 RS Convertible
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 00, 05:01 AM
Tech Team

I have an article from a mag that tells how to install Autometer gauges (speedo and tach)in a 67 or 68 dash it pretty easy. E-mail me with your address and I will mail a copy to you.

------------------
Sean James
67 camaro convertible
454 - 700r4
4:10 12 bolt
69 Firebird
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 00, 04:20 PM
Senior Tech

It's super easy to install 5" autometer gauges in a 67-68 dash. Drop the steering column, remove all the screws to the "pod" then disconnect the electrical and it will pop right out.
Then undo the screws holding the metal gauges to the plastic "pod" and you have the shell.
From there slide the speedo and tach through the front, and bolt the brackets to the back. Wire it up and put it back together and- PRESTO!! Custom gauges. I did this in my 68 in about 25 minutes. i used Auto Meter Phantom gauges with electric speedo so it would work with my VSS on the T56.
Tyler

------------------
1968 RS/SS Camaro w/ 94 vette LT-1 and T56 six speed, Cal-Tracs, Baer 12" crossdrilled brakes 17" rims, ect....
<A HREF="http://home.earthlink.net/~speedracer68/tyler.htm" TARGET=_blank>
My 68 with LT1 and T56</A>
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 00, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Cool, thanks for the info.

------------------
Mark Perkins
ASE Master Auto/Truck
67 RS Convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode