new pistons on used rods - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 03, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
robert

-i read something about heating that "metal tube" that connects the piston with the rod.

otherwise it wont fit? whats the best way to heat it up?

-what torque should i use on the bolts that connects the rods with the crankshaft?

many thanx (again!)

Z28 1984
'77 355ci/COMP cam 218/224 .464/.470 114 LSA
rollerrockers1.5/9.72 forged pistons
ported '66 461 heads 1.94,1.5/Flowtech shorty headers
edelbrock 600/performer rpm intake
th350/shiftkit/hughes2500stall
4th gen 3.23 10 bolt POSI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 03, 03:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Robert;
I don't 'heat' that "metal tube" (or as I like to call it 'the Piston Pin') before I install them - I chill them. Chilling the pin makes the outside diameter smaller (by an RCH) and makes it press easier.
The key work here is "press" - if th epins are 'press fit' and not 'floating' the pins are pressed into the rod and no amount of heating them will allow you to push them onto the piston.
Some builders will warm the pin end of the rod before pressing - but, I don't find this is necessary if the interferance size is correct and the pin is chilled.

The rod bolt torque for stock chevy rods is 45flbs. (@60~62 Nm) you can check this http://www.torquespecs.com/ or other sites for specification.
If you are using ARP or any other bolt supplier check their information for torque or sretch specification.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 03, 03:09 PM
Bill

Robert,
I dont know what the machine shop situation is over there...but there is a special rod heater made by Sunnen that most of us use. You actually have to heat the end of the rod so that it expands enough to allow the pin to slide in. If you get it too hot, it can ruin the rod. I have heard of guys using a torch, but that gives me the the shivers. The torque on the rod nuts wil depend on what type of rod and bolt it is.
I would suggest finding a shop with a rod heater to install the pistons for you. Try a search here:
http://www.aera.org/dbWeb/MembersByCountry.htm

Hope this helps,

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 03, 04:04 PM

Question

Bill,

What is the temp. or color of the rod end upon heating so the pin can slide through??

pdq67

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 03, 04:50 PM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

I use a heat gun on the small end of the rod and freeze the piston pins. They press in or out fairly easily this way.

"..............what, and get out of aviation??"
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 03, 05:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Red face

Dohhh - double post!

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 03, 05:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

I live in sunny California so I just stick the rods in the sunny spot at the window for awhile and chill the pins. This has always worked for me but I know engine & machine shops that use a dedicated heater.

Sorry BillK - I meant to refer Robbert to a Machinist for this but forgot to in my original post.
It can be done in a home shop with the right set-up. I bought the Kent-Moore tools for this many years ago.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 03, 05:14 PM
Bill

Robert,
The correct temperature is somewhere around 450 deg. It does not discolor the ends of the rods in any way. The Sunnen rod heater has a timer that heats the rod ends for the correct amount of time without overheating them.
Dont take this the wrong way, but I have seen too many pistons ruined by guys trying to press the pins in without heating them. It takes some dedicated fixtures and a lot of patience to do it correctly. I dont like it because it is almost impossible to do without scarring the pin as it goes through the rod, no matter how much lube you use. If you want to try it, go ahead, but try one on an old piston first to see how you do. When you are done, the piston should move VERY VERY freely on the rod. If it does not, you will have trouble.
I am not one for telling people not to try it themselves, as I am also the type that wants to do everything myself also...but I know the limitations of my knowledge and equipment. Sometimes its just best to pay someone to do it [img]smile.gif[/img]

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 03, 08:57 PM
Senior Tech

Interesting topic. When I built the shortblock for my truck about 4 years ago the small ends of each and every rod had a blue discoloration about 1/2" wide...to me an obvious sign of overheating. Knock on wood, no trouble after all these years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode